Success with Meguiar's

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 08:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tread lightly when using ScratchX....the harder you rub...the more of the clearcoat is removed...

Old 11-29-2006, 07:41 PM
What's the best applicator to use when applying ScratchX by hand? Microfiber rag or a Meguiars foam applicator pad?

Old 11-29-2006, 08:54 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My personal preference would be a TERRY applicator. Terry has a little more cutting power than foam and most microfiber... careful on really 'pushing down' with it though... let the product do the work by only using standard pressure on the paint.

Old 11-30-2006, 11:39 PM
Thumbs up

I wound up using the foam applicator since I didn't wanna run out of clean microfiber rags for the ScratchX and wax removal and some interior detailing. I also had a Meguiar's clay bar kit in the closet for over a year that I never used since I never really believed it would do much of anything for the amount of time and work it would take and also the fear I would damage/scratch the paint with it but decided to give it a whirl since my newly purchased used truck was really looking on the dull side and all I can say is WOW! I never felt paint so buttery smooth in my life! Wax went on and off so smoothly unlike anything I've ever felt before! And the dirt and gunk it was pulling off even after being scrubbed and pressure washed! The roof was the dirtiest part, it turned the white clay to dark tan! And yes, that was even after washing and scrubbing with Gold Class soap!

Actually, I used the Gold Glass soap/water mixture as my Clay lube since I knew I wouldn't have the time to do a totally separate wash/clay step. As I washed a section I'd rinse and reapply more Gold Class soap with my wash mit and then clay that area. I even clayed the windows/lights! The front window was the second dirtiest part followed by the hood! Even after reading all the posts here about it I still never believed the hype till seeing (and feeling) it in action today! The amount of grime/debris that can be left on the paint after washing was startling! (and I use a 3700PSI pressure washer before a wash mit even touches it!)

I also found the new formula of ScratchX is much more smooth to work with. It didn't seem to be as gunky/gummy as my now almost empty tube of the older formula was. Comes off much easier too!

All I can say that I was really bummed out this 04 I just bought was so much duller looking then my much-much better looking 03 it replaced. But I gotta say the clay, ScratchX, and NXT wax really flipped a light switch on! Very very good and easy to use over the counter products Meguiar's has got there!! I also really like the fact that the ScratchX and NXT doesn't stain the plastic! (I was really short on time and was making mistakes hitting the plastic with the ScratchX and NXT wax which wiped right off after it dried).

Sorry for the long post, I'm just glad I was able to get the dulled out paint looking dark, deep, and shiny better then they come new!

Last edited by emig5m; 11-30-2006 at 11:47 PM.
Old 12-01-2006, 01:37 AM
Is it safe to use a clay bar on clear plastics, like projector housings? Does a clay bar pull tar off of paint well? What are the risks when using a clay bar?

Old 12-01-2006, 07:32 AM
Moderator &

emig5m - Glad to hear that it worked out for you! Congrats on bringing it back to life! Sure would like to see some pics!!!!

flareside - Yes. You can use the bar on clear, smooth plastics. It will, to a certain degree, remove tar but, you may find that other methods work better as some tar is 'gooey' and doesn't 'pluck' off very well from anything.

Old 12-01-2006, 11:24 AM
Originally Posted by RockPick
emig5m - Glad to hear that it worked out for you! Congrats on bringing it back to life! Sure would like to see some pics!!!!
Oh trust me I had taking before and after pics on my mind. I especially wanted to show people the difference between a rugged and dull looking dirty/stock muffler and one that had been polished with Mother's aluminum wheel and mag polish. So many people ask me what aftermarket muffler/catback I installed just by how good it looked, infact, someone thought my stock Lightning exhaust was an expensive Bassini just by looking at it, lol, when it's just the stocker polished.

But the thing is I knew yesterday might be the last good weather day of the season up here in north western jersey to be able to go the extra steps with clay/polish and I was hard pressed for time with it getting dark so early now. I wanted to do atleast two applications of ScratchX but I kinda had to hustle with just one quick application - I almost skipped that process and went directly from the clay to wax but glad I didn't because I seen a big difference right away with just a quick application on half the hood. Well whatever, I'm just glad I was able to make it gleam so good.

Last edited by emig5m; 12-01-2006 at 11:34 AM.
Old 12-04-2006, 06:57 PM
Here's a pic I took this evening. This is after sitting out in two days of rain and driving 60+miles:

I didn't have anymore tire dressing (used the last of it when I did my boss's sons truck). I also did the window tinting myself. (what a PITA and test of patiences that was!) 5% Limo tint all the way around.

I hear everyone raving about using Meg's #26 (carnauba?) over the NXT, and to be honest, I like the look of EagleOnes Wax-As-U-Dry over the NXT then the NXT by itself. (the wax as you dry claims to have carnauba). So if I like the look of EagleOnes Wax-As-U-Dry over the NXT, would I like the look of the #26 you guys talk about? If so, where can you buy it in retail? I looked for it at different automotive stores and the only Meg's carnauba wax I could find is Meg's Gold Glass. Is Gold Class about the same as #26?

Old 12-04-2006, 08:52 PM
you can find #26 at most auto part stores .. Pep boys , carquest, napa

truck looks good ..

Old 12-04-2006, 09:06 PM
Moderator &

#26, in my honest opinion, is TWICE as good as Gold Class.

GC just isn't very durable at all -- it shines BIG but, #26 on a dark color will not only deepen and shine, it'll last.

I've used EO WAYD a couple of times -- had a free bottle. I don't mean this as a slam on the product but, I thought it was absolute garbage. That's just me though... if you like it and it works well for you, use it.

It was streaky... it left a haze that would not come off (almost an oily film) and, overall, made my wife's dark green Explorer VERY blotchy/shadowy.

I'd choose #26 over EO WAYD... but, again, that's me. It's a cheap 'try it out' thing... #26 will run you $10ish for a 16oz bottle at Pep, AZ or Advanced.

Truck looks pretty good... better get those wells and tires!

Old 12-04-2006, 10:22 PM
Ya I remember the old formula of EO WAYD would streak and need to be quick detailed/re-buffed after the vehicle was completely dry, but the new formula seems real good! I'm definitely gonna keep using it as my booster wax. (also works great on the bed cover/plastic keeping it new and beading water with no running after being rained on like other products I've tried on the bed cover/plastic would run down the side of the truck)

Gonna try to find some #26 though, I'm highly interested in trying it now.

Old 12-05-2006, 12:18 AM
Originally Posted by emig5m
Ya I remember the old formula of EO WAYD would streak and need to be quick detailed/re-buffed after the vehicle was completely dry, but the new formula seems real good! I'm definitely gonna keep using it as my booster wax. (also works great on the bed cover/plastic keeping it new and beading water with no running after being rained on like other products I've tried on the bed cover/plastic would run down the side of the truck)

Gonna try to find some #26 though, I'm highly interested in trying it now.
Try some Duragoss Aquawax if you like the Eagle One, it is some nice stuff. I use it on my gf's Taurus alot and also used it on my Intrigue when I had that. I might have some pics of my truck with it as well, but that has a combo of a few things.

http://www.duragloss.com/product.asp?pid=272

Quick Reply: Success with Meguiar's