Paint Spot Issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 09:32 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ugh... sight unseen it's a TOUGH call man.

Some swear by using 'goo gone' or similar on their paint. While I haven't tried this, it makes me nervous knowing the constituents in that product. As such, it may take something along these lines though...

In the past, on client's vehicles, when someone would have a similar problem, it's been a big time consumer with a plastic razor blade and a LOT of patience.

If the paint is etched from the sap, we can probably deal with it... no big worries. The problem is that most sap's pH is in the 3'ish range. That level will etch when left on the paint over a long period of time. Let's cross the wet sanding bridge when we have to... let's get it off of there first.

Looking at the Goo Gone MSDS doesn't really tell me much other than it's nearly ALL solvent. Trade secret mix and thus, we don't get to see the individual building blocks...

If it were mine, I'd be a little bit reluctant to try it but, I'm not standing over it and can't really assess your next step here...

Anyone used Goo Gone on a FIBERGLASS TONNEAU with catalyzed and/or non-catalyzed paint??

Old 11-08-2006, 10:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RockPick
Ugh... sight unseen it's a TOUGH call man.

Some swear by using 'goo gone' or similar on their paint. While I haven't tried this, it makes me nervous knowing the constituents in that product. As such, it may take something along these lines though...

In the past, on client's vehicles, when someone would have a similar problem, it's been a big time consumer with a plastic razor blade and a LOT of patience.

If the paint is etched from the sap, we can probably deal with it... no big worries. The problem is that most sap's pH is in the 3'ish range. That level will etch when left on the paint over a long period of time. Let's cross the wet sanding bridge when we have to... let's get it off of there first.

Looking at the Goo Gone MSDS doesn't really tell me much other than it's nearly ALL solvent. Trade secret mix and thus, we don't get to see the individual building blocks...

If it were mine, I'd be a little bit reluctant to try it but, I'm not standing over it and can't really assess your next step here...

Anyone used Goo Gone on a FIBERGLASS TONNEAU with catalyzed and/or non-catalyzed paint??
Hey RP,

I have used the Goo Gone before on my Dads Infiniti QX4 and used it on the lower rear 1/4 panel on the truck to remove tar and it worked without messing up the paint, but it did strip absolutely all the wax.

I was just nervous like you on using this on my hood with sap.

Saturday I'll give it a shot one spot at a time and report back. After I get rid of this sap, what should be my next step?

Thanks again for all your time and insight, I never thought this sap would end up being that big of a problem.

Duke

Old 11-08-2006, 10:11 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Let's get a spot or two of the sap off of the paint and assess it from there. Different etching may require different techiques...

I personally hope it's not etched. That'd be the easiest.

Old 11-08-2006, 10:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RockPick
Let's get a spot or two of the sap off of the paint and assess it from there. Different etching may require different techiques...

I personally hope it's not etched. That'd be the easiest.
Sounds like a plan.

Duke

Quick Reply: Paint Spot Issues