electric dryer

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 03:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
electric dryer

a disabled vet lives next to me and noticed me working dilligently on the truck this past weekend. I've seen him out washing and caring for his before and to have one arm, he does a really nice job. His problem is that he is getting older and arthritic and wants a better way to dry. It just so happens that JCW has an electric motorcycle dryer.
http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs/...atalogId=10111

He still wants to hand dry as much as he can, but for those days when he's hurting, it would come in handy. What do some of you see as the pros and cons to something like that? I've offered to help many times but he just smiles and refuses.

Old 11-07-2006, 04:19 PM
Im in his same situation and that looks like a nice tool to have.

Old 11-07-2006, 04:39 PM
if just blowing with air then why not take the truck/car for a ride

Old 11-07-2006, 05:07 PM
I know plenty of guys that use a blower to dry their trucks. Another option for your neighbor might be the California water blade.

Last edited by toolmaann; 11-07-2006 at 06:08 PM.
Old 11-07-2006, 05:24 PM
I more powerful option would be to use an air compressor.

Old 11-07-2006, 06:59 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The blowers are pretty nice. You can even step up beyond your JC product to 'HEATED' air blowers. Expect to fork out the cash.

I used to be a proponent of the Cali Water Blade -- I no longer am. Too many micro-scratches. While the blade wasn't causing them directly, the tiny amounts of 'stuff' that wasn't washed off or was left behind was... in short, there's no way to do a 'perfect job' and, the blade exploits those problems.

RP

Old 11-08-2006, 05:11 PM
how about a leaf blower?

Old 11-08-2006, 08:02 PM
Originally Posted by ChappyFX4
how about a leaf blower?
thats what i use sometimes

Old 11-08-2006, 08:07 PM
thats what that look liek a mini leaf blower

Old 11-09-2006, 05:04 PM
I took an regular electric leaf blower and cut the long

nozzle back about 2/3 of the length. Then found some nice black foam to put around the edge of the cut nozzle, so that if it touched the paint, it wouldnt scratch it, and taped it on using tape used for outdoor plumbing work. Its really tougher than regular duct tape and isnt affected by water or weather..
The blower has a little more "twist" to it when turned on due to the shorter nozzle but works great at blowing almost all the water off, certainly all the nooks and crannies, etc., and when done, I can wipe off any little drops still on there, usually on the glass, with a smaller towel and Im done! Hope you can help find this guy a better solution, if he wants help and all.. DanF

Old 11-09-2006, 05:09 PM
I looked up the link to the JC Whitney blower -

It is certainly smaller than a leaf blower, I didnt see an spec's on the amount of air it moves, it if takes 10 minutes to dry a motorcycle, it may not be strong enough to dry say a truck very quickly. The rubber hose is a great idea since that totally does away with scratching your paint, etc.. It might be the best alternative for a person with limited ability to hold, point, move, it, etc.. Good find !! DanF

Old 11-09-2006, 06:30 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
A very quick and effective way to 'sheet' dry the majority of the vehicle is to cut the water flow out of the hose back to about 1/4, remove the nozzle (spray head), and, starting at the top and working downward, allow a FLOW of water to move across the paint.

Due to water's inherent characteristics, it will SHEET most all of the water that is on the surface of the paint off and down to the ground. From there, simple blot drying with a nice waffle weave towel is simple.

Many of us use this technique on our daily drivers to save time and effort when it comes to drying -- especially with a black vehicle as the best way to dry is the way that involves the LEAST amount of abrasion across the surface of the paint.

-RP-

Quick Reply: electric dryer