Chrome wheel polishing

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 09:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chrome wheel polishing

I just picked up a nice set of wheels from an 06 f150. They are the chrome 17's. Well, not true chrome because they are just a plastic chrome fit to the wheel, but regardless, they need some TLC.

The rears look fine, but the ones on the front have a lot of marks from rubbing the brake dust into the finish. They have a lot of swirls.

Any recommendation on bringing the luster back? I am pretty good at getting swirls out of paint using a multi step compound, polish, swirl remover on a high speed buffer.

IS there anything I need to stay away from since they are basically chrome plastic??

Old 11-07-2006, 10:16 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The only 'chrome plastic' part is the center cap. The wheel itself is probably clear coated...

Not sure on this one because Ford has both varieties out there I believe... some that are true chrome and others that are high polish clearcoated. Which do you have?

Old 11-08-2006, 06:50 AM
Not sure, but it is not a true chrome wheel. It has a made to fit "hub cap" that cover the actual wheel. Dosent seem coated at all.

Old 11-08-2006, 04:26 PM
You could try one of those mothers power ***** with a chrome polish, made mine look nice and spiffy...I also used it on my Mustangs machine faced rims and it made them look like new again. I used a Mothers chrome polish...but for the life of me I cant remember which one it was, it was the one they made to use with the ball though.

Old 11-08-2006, 09:24 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Xterrable
Not sure, but it is not a true chrome wheel. It has a made to fit "hub cap" that cover the actual wheel. Dosent seem coated at all.
Hmm... what year? Model? Are they stock wheels?

The words 'hub cap' definitely keep me from suggesting using ANY type of metal/chrome polish. A little confused now...

Quick Reply: Chrome wheel polishing