Newby questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 04:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newby questions

Oh wise and wonderous. I have been reading this forum and have become more confused as I don't understand. I have an 04 Dark Toreador Red Lariat Scab. Can someone define the basics for me? I need a wash, polish and wax with a detailer for touchup and something for the black and for the rims. I thought I might start with the Meguiers Crystal system, but would like some input. Not looking to start a detail business, but would like to make my truck shiney as some of the great pics on the forum. Please point me in the right direction. In my town I can get both the commercial as well as the consumer products so lead on!

Old 11-10-2006, 07:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can never go wrong with any product from Mother's or Meguiar's. I have tried other products, and keep going back to these two. As for the wheels I use Simple Green diluted down to at least 50/50 in a spray bottle. I have used SG on ALL wheels for 15 years and never had a problem. I use Westley's Bleach White on the tires.

Maybe RP will stop by and dish some info. He knows more about detailing than anyone should know.

Old 11-10-2006, 09:20 PM
A good place to start is with meguiars products. They are easy to find, and do a very nice job. As for the basics i would recommend that you pick up some:
1.Meguiars gold class shampoo
2.a clay kit (comes with clay and QD)
3.Some polish-either #7 if your truck is swirl free, or #9 if it isn't
4.NXT wax(paste or liquid), it looks nice on my red truck

To make your life much easier i recommend picking up a DA polisher. The two that people prefer are either the porter cable, or the meguiars g100. They are both the same thing, but the g100 comes with a lifetime warranty. Very nice.

An easy approach to fix you all up at once is to go to:
http://www.autodetailingsolutions.com/
and look at the DA polisher promotions. I recommend package #2. It would be a good start. the link is:
http://www.autodetailingsolutions.co...20Specials.htm

I hope this helps you some.

Old 11-10-2006, 10:16 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by CosmoBadoo
Oh wise and wonderous. I have been reading this forum and have become more confused as I don't understand. I have an 04 Dark Toreador Red Lariat Scab. Can someone define the basics for me? I need a wash, polish and wax with a detailer for touchup and something for the black and for the rims. I thought I might start with the Meguiers Crystal system, but would like some input. Not looking to start a detail business, but would like to make my truck shiney as some of the great pics on the forum. Please point me in the right direction. In my town I can get both the commercial as well as the consumer products so lead on!

For what you've described, it sounds like you're already on the right path... if you will expand on what you do, when you do it, how you do it, where you do it, and why you do it, we'll expand on your open ended question.

Seriously man, you're asking us to write a manual here...

I bet you've already got most of the stuff down so, with that in mind, I'm going to volley this one back into your court...

Old 11-12-2006, 12:51 AM
Thanks, Rockpick and all. Not trying to be lazy about research, just trying to understand. Are the professional products better than the retail versions? While I realize opinions are like belly-buttons, could somebody tell me why they chose an NXT was instead of a Gold Class? I am but a grasshopper. <grin>

I do appreciate your time and help on this guys. Afterall, now that I have an F150 I have an image to maintain. Thanks again.

Old 11-12-2006, 02:20 AM
NXT is preferred over gold class because it is a synthetic, it tends to be more durable and lasts longer. But still some prefer either #20 or #21 (both also synthetics) over NXT. When it comes to synthetics there much debate but you can't go wrong with any of the megs stuff from what i've researched. And the proffesional products seemed to be more oriented to certain tasks, which tends to make them very effective. For example #9 polish will remove light swirls, wheras #80 will remove deeper swirls. With the proffesional products you can target a certain problem or goal. That has been my experience anyways.

But if you don't want to get to crazy than the consumer products will work great for you. It all depends how much money you have to play with, and how much you expect out of the products. Ihope this helps some.

Old 11-12-2006, 08:57 AM
Polisher

Serious question. Is it wise to recommend purchasing a polisher for someone new to detailing? Isn't there the risk of seriously damaging a finish without proper guidance and practice using one of those things? I'm not being critical. My concern is the reason I haven't bought one yet myself. Thanks.

Old 11-12-2006, 10:56 AM
the DA polisher very simple to use. I was not recommending using a rotary, those are for proffessionals and you run the risk of serious paint damage. The majority of meg polishes don't have enough cut to do any serious damage, so paired with the DA polisher you really are safe using it. They really are user friendly, and do make the job a whole lot easier.

For some good instructional videos about the DA go to the Adams polshes websites: http://www.adamspolishes.com/videos/

I hope this clarifys it some.

Last edited by red06f150; 11-12-2006 at 10:58 AM.
Old 11-12-2006, 02:04 PM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by red06f150
...For example #9 polish will remove light swirls, wheras #80 will remove deeper swirls. With the proffesional products you can target a certain problem or goal.
Ehh... kinda. #9 is going to conceal much more than it will remove. As such, you're still going to have the problems on the paint but, they'll be much less visible. #9 really doesn't have a great amount of diminishing abrasives to really 'remove' much.

All that being said, removal isn't everything and I still use #9 as part of just about every detail that I do on my, as well as my clients', vehicles.

Originally Posted by dixieF150scab
Serious question. Is it wise to recommend purchasing a polisher for someone new to detailing? Isn't there the risk of seriously damaging a finish without proper guidance and practice using one of those things? I'm not being critical. My concern is the reason I haven't bought one yet myself. Thanks.
I agree with red06's assessment on this.

The DA/PC/G-100 is a VERY user friendly tool. In fact, you kind of have to go out of your way to use it incorrectly.

With a few basics like knowing which pad to use with a specific product (there are only two 'main' pads with the PC for most), and speed to use the machine (which is EASILY obtainable with the use of THIS CHEAT SHEET), you'll be detailing in a more expeditious manner as well as more effectively!

RP

Old 11-12-2006, 10:32 PM
RP - A man among men

Old 11-12-2006, 10:39 PM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by ArmyDude
RP - A man among men

Definitely a 'something' among 'somethings'....

You insert the noun.

Old 11-12-2006, 10:52 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 135 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by RockPick
Definitely a 'something' among 'somethings'....

You insert the noun.

Hmmm how about hole among asses.....
JK of course

And RP, why dont you come by my new detail thread and comment?
-Patrick

Old 11-13-2006, 01:48 PM
Thanks Rockpick and red06f150. This was exactly the type of discussion I was hoping for. Since you guys have used the products and know what to expect your insight is invaluable. I think I will start out with the basic toolkit of retail products and see what kind of results I get, then if needed for specific tasks will hit the detailer shop. Keep up the great advice.

----------------------------
2004 Lariat Scab - Dark Toreador Red

Old 11-13-2006, 01:50 PM
Sounds like a plan. Just be very careful, once you get started it can get addiciting. You'll will notice your wallet become lighter and lighter.

Old 11-13-2006, 06:54 PM
Moderator &

You betcha!

Quick Reply: Newby questions