Reconditioning neglected finish (with cracks!)

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 03:24 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hmm... Tough call because you've tossed out so many products...

The #83 *WILL* remove it. The question is that if it's too aggressive, what do you use following it (btw, you will have to follow the #83 with something with less cut as it will cause some slight marring).

Using the orbital that you have -- I'd probably go with a FOAM pad or maybe a TERRY pad (need something with some cut). Color-X would be my first stab. Reason being is that it's fairly inexpensive, readily available, and very effective at LIGHT oxidation removal. It may or may not remove your problems but, a couple of applications should do the trick.

#2 -- this one would probably work with a single pass. I don't have a lot of experience with this chemical so, I'm not sure I'm that qualified to really comment.

#83 may be too abrasive for the Orbital. I'd probably eliminate this one.

#80 -- would probably be a good last polish before going to wax in your case. This is probably my favorite polish that Meg's makes as it's pretty versatile.

#9 - won't touch the oxidation. Unless you have a very slight spiderwebbing at the end of your oxidation removal, eliminate this problem. It's a filler more so than a 'remover'.

Good plan on trying to remove the product in chips etc prior to LSP application.

That help a little?

Old 11-18-2006, 10:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I started on it today. Got the truck washed (mequires deep crystal) then clayed, then washed again. Was running out of time so I just used some Eagle 1 spray to wipe it down and dry it. I had a little extra time so I decided to try some old Meguires #7 (so old it is labeled Sealer and Resealer Glaze!) on one corner of the hood. Amazing! The cloudiness/oxidation disappeared completely. Maybe it's not oxidation at all, or maybe it's just the oils in the #7 that covered it all up. Then I put some NXT Tech wax on top of that and all I can say is WOW!!!

I guess my question is do you think I should go with the #80 Speed Glaze or ColorX anyway, followed up with maybe even some #7 Show Car Glaze then the NXT Tech Wax finalized with #26 yellow or Deep Crystal #3 Carnuba to top it off? I'm thinking perhaps the cloudiness will return once the oils evaporate if I just use the #7 with a wax topper.

I greatly appreciate your input!

Old 11-18-2006, 10:51 PM
Moderator &

Uhh... lots of questions. LOL!

If it's gone, odds are that it's probably 'gone'. I wouldn't go to removing it unless you need to (ie: I wouldn't go back over it with 80 just yet).

If it comes back, then let's adjust your plan of attack.

As for LSPs (last step products), two coats NXT and one coat #26 would be my suggestion. It's really a nice combo in my book...

Old 11-19-2006, 01:12 AM
Thanks RP. Sorry for all the questions, but I appreciate your help! That will be my plan and we'll see what happens!

Thanks again~

Old 11-19-2006, 12:01 PM
Moderator &

No need to apologize! Glad to help.

Get some pics! I want to see what you've accomplished!

Old 11-19-2006, 12:46 PM
Well here are a couple of preliminary pics. This first one gives a better look at the oxidation that I'm trying to get rid of. Look at the area around the flash...

This next one shows the one corner I applied the #7 followed by one coat of Tech Wax. You can really see where the color and shine came back!

In that last pic, I can see some light swirl marks (at the flash) that I suppose I would like to get rid of. I'm not too concerned with it I guess, since I don't have a 'show truck', but being the retentive perfectionist that I am... Well you probably understand! RP, with this having only one coat of the Tech Wax and nothing else on top, do you think that'll diminish after another coat of the Tech Wax and some #26, or what might you suggest?

Last edited by K.C.; 11-19-2006 at 01:11 PM.
Old 11-19-2006, 01:45 PM
Moderator &

The addition of another coat of NXT topped with 26, in my opinion, will only further the depth and clarity.

You are right, though. The swirls are there until you remove them. NXT won't fix the swirls -- well, at least not on that level.

And, yes. I can relate to being ****-retentive. LOL!

Old 11-19-2006, 06:05 PM
please note that most megs products act as a filler. if you are going to do a full reconditioning of the vehicle, and want a true finish, then use higher end products. While Megs is a great product, there are other products out there that you can buy, for not much difference in price, off of site such as autogeek or detailcity! I use pinnacle XMT swirl removers on a random orbital. A rotary is NOT something for the inexperianced to use, and it is unbelieveably easy to ruin your paint. if you want any more tips just PM me. I detail personally so I could point you in all the right directions and even show you some video how-to's! PLease not that megs products will not last as long as most other products

Old 11-19-2006, 06:15 PM
Moderator &

Not true... "most" of them are *NOT* fillers. While they do have some products that are primarily 'filler types' of products (like #9).

He's not talking about using a ROTARY... he's talking about an ORBITAL. Different machines.

I detail 'personally' as well and know a thing or two as well. Your opinions are, just that, opinions. Meg's makes some 'low-end' products but, just about all the manufacs out there do as well.

While I don't know all of the products out there on the market, I've used and have experience with a VAST array of products (including XMT which is a good product).

Don't discount someone's advice and offer an undercut if you're not sure about the person on the other end of the wire offering information which, apparently, is working out quite well.

Thanks.

-RP-

Old 11-19-2006, 06:51 PM
Originally Posted by RockPick
Not true... "most" of them are *NOT* fillers. While they do have some products that are primarily 'filler types' of products (like #9).

He's not talking about using a ROTARY... he's talking about an ORBITAL. Different machines.

I detail 'personally' as well and know a thing or two as well. Your opinions are, just that, opinions. Meg's makes some 'low-end' products but, just about all the manufacs out there do as well.

While I don't know all of the products out there on the market, I've used and have experience with a VAST array of products (including XMT which is a good product).

Don't discount someone's advice and offer an undercut if you're not sure about the person on the other end of the wire offering information which, apparently, is working out quite well.

Thanks.

-RP-
i am not trying to step on anything toes, but 9 is NOT going to fill ebcause it isnt meant as a polish! its a swirl remover and therefore wouldnt be a filler anyways....And the fact that their product results do not last. Just from lots of personal experiance, I dont ever use it.

Last edited by VR_MSM; 11-19-2006 at 06:55 PM.
Old 11-19-2006, 07:08 PM
Moderator &

Toes not stepped upon...

I'm offering a bit of 'inside' insight to your commentation on it though. While I'm not an 'expert' on any one brand, I am more up to snuff on Meg's than other products due to my training from them (no, it wasn't a 'detail days session). Further, I was a moderator at MOL for quite a while. Further, I've been a member of DC for quite a while as well -- my registration was lost during that one site upgrade and thus, I don't show as a 'long time' member and don't have the post count to show it but, Dwayne will tell you the same thing. I've done lost of biz with PAC in the past. Not tooting my horn here, just justifying my comments and positions.

#9 is, indeed, more of a filler than it is a 'remover'. Meg's will tell you this as well. While it does have a certain amount of 'diminishing abrasives', it's loaded with finer grain kaolin which does, indeed, help conceal rather than remove. It's just how this product works.

#80, #81, #82, #83 are all abrasive polishes. They *do* contain abrasives and, as such, DO remove paint problems versus concealing them.

Jump into products such as #84 & #85 and then you're dealing with serious diminishing abrasives that are capable of removing 1500 scuffs and up.

While everyone has an opinion about a product, I want to make sure that factual info is on the table so that there is little to no confusion. I'm not an expert on Adams, Zaino, Menzerna, FK1, Collinite, PB's, or oodles and oodles of others but, rest assured that I've used them, tried them, even done some R&D for a couple of them... I, too, know this business and take great pride in the knowledge that I give out freely here.

While your opinion is certainly respected and heard, (although many of us wouldn't share them) I want to make sure that the information on the table is correct.

Old 11-19-2006, 07:10 PM
Hey RockPick... Your advice to ALL of us is greatly appreciated. I have always valued your opinion when performing anykind of automotive finish techniques. I think your inputs are very valuable... Thanks for your years of experience in the automotive detailing area. I'm not sure who VR MSM is but he seems to disagree with your recommend approach to helping K.C.

K.C.'s paint is looking much better from the photos. I can not wait to see the finished vehicle

Old 11-19-2006, 07:17 PM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by BeaverEater
Hey RockPick... Your advice to ALL of us is greatly appreciated. I have always valued your opinion when performing anykind of automotive finish techniques. I think your inputs are very valuable... Thanks for your years of experience in the automotive detailing area. I'm not sure who VR MSM is but he seems to disagree with your recommend approach to helping K.C.

K.C.'s paint is looking much better from the photos. I can not wait to see the finished vehicle

I agree. It's fine that he disagrees with the approach -- as I mentioned in my last post, opinions are just that - opinions. Everyone has them and are entitled to them. It's obvious that he knows a thing or two about detailng but, the reason I lashed back was because I felt as though someone was intentionally slighting me. Comments like "I'm a pro..." "PM me if you want more information...".

Almost as if he was saying -- "Don't listen to a word this quack is saying. He doesn't know jack and I'm right -- he's wrong.".

Maybe it was misinterpreted -- probably so -- but, that's how it sounded and how I read it. I'm certainly not trying to sound like a 3 year old but, when you're spending a lot of time trying to help someone out with a problem and someone walks in carrying a stick and is, seemingly, swinging it around in an effort to wack someone on the knee -- well, I take a little offense.

Old 11-19-2006, 07:18 PM
Originally Posted by RockPick
Toes not stepped upon...

I'm offering a bit of 'inside' insight to your commentation on it though. While I'm not an 'expert' on any one brand, I am more up to snuff on Meg's than other products due to my training from them (no, it wasn't a 'detail days session). Further, I was a moderator at MOL for quite a while. Further, I've been a member of DC for quite a while as well -- my registration was lost during that one site upgrade and thus, I don't show as a 'long time' member and don't have the post count to show it but, Dwayne will tell you the same thing. I've done lost of biz with PAC in the past. Not tooting my horn here, just justifying my comments and positions.

#9 is, indeed, more of a filler than it is a 'remover'. Meg's will tell you this as well. While it does have a certain amount of 'diminishing abrasives', it's loaded with finer grain kaolin which does, indeed, help conceal rather than remove. It's just how this product works.

#80, #81, #82, #83 are all abrasive polishes. They *do* contain abrasives and, as such, DO remove paint problems versus concealing them.

Jump into products such as #84 & #85 and then you're dealing with serious diminishing abrasives that are capable of removing 1500 scuffs and up.

While everyone has an opinion about a product, I want to make sure that factual info is on the table so that there is little to no confusion. I'm not an expert on Adams, Zaino, Menzerna, FK1, Collinite, PB's, or oodles and oodles of others but, rest assured that I've used them, tried them, even done some R&D for a couple of them... I, too, know this business and take great pride in the knowledge that I give out freely here.

While your opinion is certainly respected and heard, (although many of us wouldn't share them) I want to make sure that the information on the table is correct.
Fair enough, I shall be doing some more reading on DC on megs product line. To be fair, i have never given it much of a chance after turning to other products

Old 11-19-2006, 07:26 PM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by VR_MSM
Fair enough, I shall be doing some more reading on DC on megs product line. To be fair, i have never given it much of a chance after turning to other products
That's fine man. Honestly, I'm glad to see you here as I'd certainly be interested in learning more about a few other products that you obviously have some experience with...

As a moderator here, I don't venture out much as I simply don't have time. With over 105 THOUSAND members here, we do spend a lot of time trolling within the site.

I do try to find time to get over to MOL, SCG, Autopia, Mother's and DC but, I'd have to tell you honestly that it's rare.

Quick Reply: Reconditioning neglected finish (with cracks!)