Reconditioning neglected finish (with cracks!)

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 07:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RockPick
That's fine man. Honestly, I'm glad to see you here as I'd certainly be interested in learning more about a few other products that you obviously have some experience with...

As a moderator here, I don't venture out much as I simply don't have time. With over 105 THOUSAND members here, we do spend a lot of time trolling within the site.

I do try to find time to get over to MOL, SCG, Autopia, Mother's and DC but, I'd have to tell you honestly that it's rare.

I have experiance with a ton of product, and I plan to write as many how-to's as possible for each! Anything I can help with, I'd be happy to!

Old 11-22-2006, 08:29 PM
Amazing!!!

Quick update - - - At this point, I have clayed the front half of the truck, applied #7 on the hood, used some ColorX on the fenders and doors (also used a little rubbing compound to get out some scratches - the ColorX removed the scratches from the compound when I worked it in good!) followed by #7 glaze, then two coats of NXT, and one coat of #26 Yellow wax on the hood and passenger side. (So far only the first coat of NXT on the driver side...). All I can say is WOW!!! I'd never believe this truck is 4 months shy of being 10 years old! It's been cloudy and cool here for the last few days so I haven't been able to get a decent picture yet, but I've had at least 3 neighbors stop by and ask if I had the truck re-painted or something, and all of them want to know how I did it and what I used.

Thanks everyone for the help, and I'll try to get some good pics up this weekend when I'm (hopefully) finished! (It's taking me alot of time 'cuz I recently ruptured a disk in my lower back and it hurts after a short period!)

Old 11-22-2006, 09:41 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Glad to hear that it's coming together bud... can't wait to see the pics!

Old 01-10-2007, 02:35 PM
Finally, an Update With Pics, Two Posts...

OK, so first off thanks to everyone - especially RP - for your input on bringing this truck back. I finally got some pics uploaded to show off the truck. Mind you most of these were taken after the truck has been washed again since it was finished.

The products I used are Color-X first using my orbital, followed by Meg's #7 glaze, then two coats of NXT followed by two coats of Meg's #26. Final buffing was with a MF pad on my orbital...

First, here is a pic of the hood showing the oxidation when I bought it (Unfortunately this is as close to a 'before' shot that I have):

Here is a somewhat blurry pic of the whole truck after being washed again (sorry, new camera):

The hood, reflecting a nice sunset (Hadn't even pulled the tape off yet!):

Next post will show the sides...

Old 01-10-2007, 02:39 PM
Here are a couple of shots showing the reflectivity and color depth of the two sides...

Here is the passenger side:

And the driver side:

Thanks again for all the information I was able to glean from this forum!

Next project . . . Restoring the finish on my '94 Ranger that was just recovered after being stolen and missing for 4 months!

Old 01-10-2007, 02:43 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Niiiiiice!!! Really makes me want to get to work on mine! Congrats man, it looks really good.

-NCSU

Quick Reply: Reconditioning neglected finish (with cracks!)