engine cleaning...

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 12:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
engine cleaning...

how do you guys clean your engines and what processes do you use? I am thinking I need to clean it it is starting to get dusty in there.

Old 11-20-2006, 06:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I sometimes use an air compressor and blow it all off them get low pressure water and rince, then blow the air off again, then spray tire foam on the entire thing, then wipe all the excess off, comes out looking better than new, and no misses!

Old 11-20-2006, 07:26 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You might want to try the "search" function on this topic. It's been beat up pretty well here, but in a nutshell, BE CAREFUL! Using too much water on these things is a recipe for disaster. I've actually gotten to the point (after being burned) that I just keep the hood closed. Good luck!

Old 11-22-2006, 06:31 PM
I like to use a 50/50 Simple Green mix. If the engine is extremely dirty, greasy, etc. I use it full strength. Let it sit for a few minutes and hose it down. Be careful where the water goes. I let the water run out the end of the hose, no nozzle. No high pressure water.

Old 11-25-2006, 08:57 AM
I've had good luck with just misting the water on with a hose, no high pressure. I also try not to get the coil packs too wet. I've been doing it while the engine is running, too. I was thinking if it was running, any water that got around the plugs would burn off. Once a year seems to be plenty for me. The high pressure air seems like a good idea, I might have to try that one.

Old 11-25-2006, 10:05 AM
TNC
Well, I just cleaned my '04 5.4L. After reading all the horror stories on here I was almost afraid to. Cleaned it up very well. I spent some quality time with the compressor and blew out the plug wells which will fill with water. Wiped everything down to make it look good since hitting it with air makes water spots everywhere. No problems at all. If you clean these newer engines, use low pressure water from the garden hose and don't even bother if you can't blow the engine off with compressed air. You will fill the plug wells with dirty water which is very conductive and which will get you your first lesson in COP replacement. Cover the PCM with plastic. You don't want those big connectors getting wa-wa in them. Changed the serpentine belt which only had 17K miles and a nasty chirp when cold at the same time.

Old 11-26-2006, 11:09 AM
I blow the dust off with the air compressor and then spray with a protectant/shine and wipe it all down.
I don't like using water.My friend has had a few issues with customers cars at his detail shop spraying water in the engine compartment. He's starting to learn after losing money for repairs on a few detal jobs.

Trending Topics

Old 11-26-2006, 09:52 PM
Heres my thread of how I cleaned my engine bay with Simple Green

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=256950

Quick Reply: engine cleaning...