Micro-fiber towel fact

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 01:30 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Question Micro-fiber towel fact

Today as I was wiping the wax from my truck with my micro-fiber towels,I noticed something very interesting; new towels work better then washed towels.Ok,before you laugh heres the lowdown.I have about 8 towels that have only been washed once,after only one use.I opened a new 3 pack today just to see how the once used worked against the new ones.The old ones left a few streaks while the new ones were flawless.Am I the only one who has noticed this? Could it be the way I washed the old ones? I washed them alone with Tide,dried with no fabric sheets.

Old 11-26-2006, 02:14 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I notice that too.Sometimes I'll use a previously washed towel to remove wax and then I'll use a new towel to give it a final wipe down.
But I usually use new towels on my truck and used ones on my cars.I'm pretty compulsive so I keep 4 or 5 pkgs of new microfiber towels on hand.

Old 11-26-2006, 03:07 PM
Thumbs up

Is that a GN or a GNX? What year if a GN? Miles?

Old 11-26-2006, 03:34 PM
Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
Is that a GN or a GNX? What year if a GN? Miles?
The pic in my sig. is my 86 GN w/87 grill,the body has 81K and 28k on the engine.
I also have a GNX clone(can you blame me real GNXs are going for $75k -$100k) If I could afford a real one I'd have to be crazy to drive it.

Old 11-26-2006, 09:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah I noticed that also, i put it all in the4 gentle cycle anymore helps keep it long lasting.

Whats under the hood of the GN? 5.0L 305 or 5.7L 350?

Old 11-26-2006, 09:49 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ws6_guyscrew
yeah I noticed that also, i put it all in the4 gentle cycle anymore helps keep it long lasting.

Whats under the hood of the GN? 5.0L 305 or 5.7L 350?
They come from the factory with a turbo V6.
There is a doctor here at Tampa General hospital with a GNX!
I've seen it at a few local car shows.It has like 8-9k miles on it.If i'm not mistaken I think its in the 40s-50s number range.Didn't they only make 502 GNXs?

Old 11-26-2006, 09:56 PM
ahh ok, forgot about that engine lol, that was in the 1989 20th anni turbo Trans Am

Old 11-26-2006, 10:03 PM
Question

You must have a Trans-Am with the WS-6 option/package,which I think is a special differential along with disc brakes.....

Old 11-26-2006, 10:35 PM
add some white vinegar to tthe wash cycle, double rinse them , dry them on gentle .. that should help ..

as for the WS6 question ..

assumming you are talking about 4th gens ...

WS6 performance package consists of ..

- Ram Air hood and air intake (like that of the Firehawk)
The 1998s and up WS6s have a completely new hood with 2 functional intakes right above the standard non functional nostrils
- Freer flowing exhaust system
- Higher rate front springs (360 lbs/in)
- Variable rate rear springs (130-180 lbs/in)
- Stiffer front and rear shocks
- Harder bushings
- Larger diameter front anti-sway bar (32mm)
- Increased cooling
- 17 inch wheels with 275/40ZR/17 tires

Old 11-27-2006, 04:17 AM
Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
They come from the factory with a turbo V6.
There is a doctor here at Tampa General hospital with a GNX!
I've seen it at a few local car shows.It has like 8-9k miles on it.If i'm not mistaken I think its in the 40s-50s number range.Didn't they only make 502 GNXs?
They made 547 GNXs

Old 11-27-2006, 04:19 AM
Originally Posted by ws6_guyscrew
ahh ok, forgot about that engine lol, that was in the 1989 20th anni turbo Trans Am
Yup the 89 Turbo T/A was the fastest Pontiac that Buick ever made.

Old 11-27-2006, 08:53 AM
Originally Posted by Gipraw
add some white vinegar to tthe wash cycle, double rinse them , dry them on gentle .. that should help.

about how much Vinegar? (assuming the load is full)

You dry them in the machine??? Would it be better for e to dry them, 'cause right now I hang them up to dry...

As for the original post---yeah. I see this, too. For me, though, it's only after I've used the towels about 3 times. Even after I wipe down with another one (still used), I still end up with streaks. That's when the Gold Class towel comes out--it's reserved for removing streaks.

Old 11-27-2006, 11:42 AM
Windows or paint?

Are you talking about windows or paint? I wash my MF towels for windows serarate from all the others.

As far as washing towels with wax in them I have found that a micro-fiber detergent or Dawn dish soap works better that liquid Tide/all others. I washed my towels the last couple times it hot water/warm rinse with half cup of distilled white vinegar in the rinse cycle. Dry on low heat. They came out better than when they were new. Using the dryer seems to fluff them up a little better than hanging them out.

Hope this helps, Tic

Old 11-27-2006, 03:23 PM
Originally Posted by f-150sport03
about how much Vinegar? (assuming the load is full)

You dry them in the machine??? Would it be better for e to dry them, 'cause right now I hang them up to dry...
I dry them for a ocupel of reasons ..
1 - no chance of mildew
2 - no chance of contamination
3- helps remove any lint on them
4- speed .. I use so many, that if I had to wait days for them to air dry in the houston humidity, I would have to invest another $500 in MF towels, or I would never get anything done ..

drying them on gentle shoudn't hurt them at all ..

as for how much vinegar, I use 1 teaspoon per towel .. 6 teaspoons = 1ounce. don't remember where I got that from, but it seems to work fine for me ..

also .. as mntioned, I also wash and dry my window towels sepereate from the ones that I use for wax/QD removal and claying ..

Old 12-01-2006, 10:51 AM
Originally Posted by Ticman
As far as washing towels with wax in them I have found that a micro-fiber detergent or Dawn dish soap works better that liquid Tide/all others.
Yup, that's exactly what I found out by experimenting. When I was first hand washing my foam wax applicator pads I noticed how good Dawn dish soap worked on them to cut the wax out (I prefer Dawn Ultra with OXY) over just washing in the machine with Tide. Now I wash in the wash machine with hot water and a little mix of both, Dawn and Tide and they come out mint. I do separate my mits/rags/etc. when washing. Any rags/mits/etc. I use on dirty areas like rims, wheel wells, or metal polishing rags gets separated from my regular mit and wax removal rags.

Quick Reply: Micro-fiber towel fact