How cold is too cold to detail?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 07:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How cold is too cold to detail?

I really would like to detail my truck (including claying), within the next few weeks. The problem? The temperature in the Puget Sound area is 30's to mid 40's. My question is, how do I detail my truck in such cold weather? I figured I could wash it, garage, dry, etc. and use a heat dish to keep the garage warm. Or, should I just go this winter without doing a detail job? (which I DON'T want to do!).
Help!!!

Old 11-28-2006, 07:53 AM
If the air is 30-40 deg., than the garage should be around 45 deg. This should be fine to detail in. I'd go ahead and use your heat dish, and definately keep your waxes/polishes/etc next to the heat dish. After you finish, make sure you put your waxes/polishes indoors to keep them in solution. Again, as long as you can rest your hand on the surface the car for about a minute, the temp of the paint is fine (ie: if it's really hot or really cold--then you couldn't detail. Unless you went into the garage.)

Hope that helps. Good luck, and pt up pics when you're done.

Old 11-28-2006, 08:48 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Most manufacs say 50ish or warmer...

Old 11-28-2006, 09:11 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd agree with RP in that although you might be able to get a product applied, you might not be able to get it to cure or dry properly at much less than 50 degrees. My absolute rule of thumb is that if your beer freezes, it's too cold.

Old 11-28-2006, 09:47 AM
I have to agree with the 50ish cut off which is what I personally use.

2stroked, you must be doing some detail work in pretty cold weather if your 'absolute rule of thumb is when your beer freezes' seeing that it will not freeze until about 32 degrees.

Old 11-28-2006, 11:46 AM
40 minumum i would say, yesturday i did my truck 55 - 60 degrees, last winter when it was 20 i did a wash off ( fingers were so cold i couldn't move them much ) so for that stuff i would just recomment pressure hose off from the do it urself carwash

Old 11-28-2006, 05:07 PM
I washed mine in 9 degree weather!!! Popped the heat on for the hose downstairs blasted the truck with water. Shot each panel with hot water to soap it up as I go along. Soap would freeze hit it with the hot water and move to the next panel. Gave the truck a full hot rinse and into the garage with the bullet heater already fired up. Note my hands were very red after completion.

Old 11-29-2006, 10:31 AM
I'd agree with most replies, 50 plus would be good, 60's and up no problems, but high 30's to 40's, I dunno. It would work but I found it's crappy when the temp is too low. Alot more work to say the least. Right now in the Detroit area it's going to be low 60's today, then later in the week mid 30's for highs so maybe you'll get lucky and have a warm spell before the bottom drops. Either wait for one, or just hold off till spring. I was busy lately to do mine, then it got cold, then high 60's and sunny so I did mine a few weeks ago, got lucky. No hurt in trying and bieng the guy who did it.

Old 11-29-2006, 01:00 PM
Originally Posted by Flareside150
I washed mine in 9 degree weather!!! Popped the heat on for the hose downstairs blasted the truck with water. Shot each panel with hot water to soap it up as I go along. Soap would freeze hit it with the hot water and move to the next panel. Gave the truck a full hot rinse and into the garage with the bullet heater already fired up. Note my hands were very red after completion.

I'd be concerned you might be causing some long-term paint issues by shocking it with those temperature changes. Not that I'm an expert by any means, but going from 9* and frozen to hot water and back to freezing rapidly like that can't be all that great for your paint!

Old 11-29-2006, 11:05 PM
Originally Posted by K.C.
I'd be concerned you might be causing some long-term paint issues by shocking it with those temperature changes. Not that I'm an expert by any means, but going from 9* and frozen to hot water and back to freezing rapidly like that can't be all that great for your paint!
You're probably right.

As for the temps I was mentioning earlier--remember, GERPER needed a good coat of wax (which is usually preceeded by a polish, which is preceeded by a ....etc...). I think that if you absolutely had to get a coat on, better do it now before it gets any colder. Though 45 degrees may be pushing it, it's better than no wax to protect from the relentless rain, ice, salt, etc. of winter. But maybe I'm just looking for a reason to detail my truck...(definately a hobby that got WAY out of hand...I blame RP.)

Quick Reply: How cold is too cold to detail?