Would it be ridiculously insane too...

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 08:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Would it be ridiculously insane too...

I may have finally found a very RARE '04 truck that has absolutely EVERYTHING I would want except the color. It is a very nice 20K+ truck with a perfect 2 tone paint job of blue and tan from the factory, and I would like to have BLACK and tan, or just black. Only a few hundred of these were made.
I used to work in a body shop in another life time and painting/changing the color on a perfectly nice expensive truck goes against EVERY FIBER OF MY BEING (let alone painting something black)!!! I know I would have to pay a premium to be sure it is done well and correctly. I wouldn't be happy unless it absolutley looked factory. But still, I DON'T THINK YOU CAN EVER GET A PAINT JOB THAT IS AS GOOD OR AS DURABLE AS IT COMES FROM THE FACTORY.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what I think.
HONESTLY, WOULD THIS BE AN ABSOUTLEY INSANE and ASSANINE IDEA???????????????????

Thanks
Figgy

Old 12-03-2006, 08:24 PM
No, id repaint it if I wanted to... Go for it

Old 12-03-2006, 09:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If money is no object then go for it.
But in reality it may not be the best investment.A good paintjob will cost as least a few $K which you probably won't recoup if you sell it.So if you pay market value for it then dump $4k-$5k in it for a paintjob your looking to loose $4k-$5k plus normal depreciation.At least when people spend lots of money on bolt on mods alot of them can be removed and sold seperately.
It would make more sense to find a black or black/tan truck.
I'm not saying I don't ever make crazy finantial decisions 'cause I do.I'm just giving you an onlookers point of view.
What makes this truck so rare? FWIW, Rarity doesn't always make a vehicle worth much more $,it would depend on the type of vehicle.

Old 12-03-2006, 09:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with Built54. There are numerous paint&body shops that do excellent work. If you are that serious about getting the truck, check out a few of your local shops and ask to see the finished product. Also the speciality shops even do a better job painting but of course the cost goes up. But by all means look into it.

Old 12-03-2006, 09:39 PM
I think my factory paint job sucks, and am planning on repainting it next summer. If it is really worth it to you, then by all means go for it. If you've got the money, then enjoy it. And what exactly is so special about this truck?

Old 12-03-2006, 10:05 PM
Nassty of course is the voice of reason here and he is right. I would probably be paying slightly more just because its rare and I think they know that. But after that, it's just pooring money down a rat hole. Not to mention the truck is a considerable distance from me and I would have to get it here either by flying there or hiring a transport company.

I guess my main concern is (other than the money) is my statement about aftermarket paint jobs not being as good or especially as durable.
Any guru bodymen/painters out there that have an opinion?

Thanks

Old 12-03-2006, 10:17 PM
I hesitate to tell you what's so special about the truck because you'll think I'm wierd.

Ever here of a F150, s-cab, 4x4, 8' box....LARIAT? I didn't think so because they only made a few. I'm interested in it not because I think it is some kind of a collectors item, but because I HAVE to have an 8' box, and I always wanted a loaded lariat, but could never have one with an 8' box. So I stumbled upon this one. Very hard to find one at all, let alone in black!

Old 12-03-2006, 10:45 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Personally, I prefer solid color vehicles and black is my favorite. But, if it were me, I would buy the truck and paint the tan part the same blue and be happy with it.

Old 12-03-2006, 11:43 PM
yes.. factory paint jobs suck..... plain and simple.. next time you look at your truck.. look at the paint closely.. and you see something that resembles the skin of an orange...

its called orangepeel...
and it can make a paintjob look like crap

Last edited by 1fast4.6; 12-16-2006 at 01:02 PM.
Old 12-10-2006, 11:11 AM
Just order a new truck the way you want it.:santa:

Old 12-10-2006, 11:36 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 1fast4.6
its called orangepeel...
and it can make a paintjob look like crap

...but, it's included on EVERY FoMoCo vehicle free of charge! It's *not* a factory option -- it's standard.

**EVERY** FoMoCo vehicle that I've looked at in the recent past has it... even two 300 GTs that I've seen. Tis' ashame but, unfortunately the way it is...

Old 12-10-2006, 01:32 PM
Originally Posted by RockPick
...but, it's included on EVERY FoMoCo vehicle free of charge! It's *not* a factory option -- it's standard.

**EVERY** FoMoCo vehicle that I've looked at in the recent past has it... even two 300 GTs that I've seen. Tis' ashame but, unfortunately the way it is...
so true .. They had a '07 Shelby in the showroom, prepped and ready for delivery the day we picked up our new Five Hundred. Red, with white stripes. (nice looking car for $48K)

as I was looking at it, the general manager (a friend of mine) asked me when I was going to be picking mine up. I told him, when I can buy one that doesn't have vinyl stripes on it, and doesn't need to be wet sanded, then give me a call and I would place my order. I then spent 15 minutes showing him all the defects in the paint. When I was through, he told me to get the heck out of there, before the guy showed up to pick it up, heard me, and refused delivery.

Old 12-11-2006, 11:36 AM
If you are keeping it for the long term and have no intentions of selling it anytime soon then by all means. Especially if you plan on being the guy driving that truck with it reaches 200,000+ miles. Now if I was one of those guys that's got the new truck every few years then I would consider it to be a bad investment.

- Chris

Old 12-11-2006, 02:46 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is only my opinion, so here goes. Yes, it would be silly to repaint a brand new truck. Think about it. To truly repaint it in a manner that NOBODY could ever tell it had been repainted would be either almost impossible, or VERY costly. You're probably talking 5 grand to really have a shot at it. (Remember, door jams, under the hood, under the cab and bed, etc.) What are your chances of ever getting that money back? (Zero) Remember, a vehicle that have been repainted is generally worth less than one that has not. (With or without orange peel.) Why not just order exactly what you want?

Old 12-11-2006, 10:29 PM
That's a good point between the cost of purchasing the truck, having it shipped to you and having it painted you can probably just order the thing.

- Chris

Quick Reply: Would it be ridiculously insane too...