When to go to Car Wash

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 11:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When to go to Car Wash

Since I was in Northern Ariz, and I believe there was some salt on the roads would it be a good idea to go to a car wash and have them wash the underbody, but they would also most likely wash the body of the car, not sure if they can just do the underbody, how bad is Car Wash at the local Octopus or Simoniz, the car is 10 days old.

Jim

Old 12-06-2006, 10:25 PM
If it's a touch free (and I mean touch free--none of that blower crap that has the plastic rollers that scratch the paint), than the wash would be fine.

If it's one of those with any contact, avoid.

If you can find one, go to a trucker's or self car wash. This offers you the opportunity to spray the underbody w/o screwing up your paint job.

Old 12-11-2006, 05:41 PM
Req
Originally Posted by hooverone
Since I was in Northern Ariz, and I believe there was some salt on the roads would it be a good idea to go to a car wash and have them wash the underbody, but they would also most likely wash the body of the car, not sure if they can just do the underbody, how bad is Car Wash at the local Octopus or Simoniz, the car is 10 days old.

Jim
I would recommend never go to a car wash unless you live in a freezing climate.

To wash the underside of your vehicle at home, purchase one of those watering wands (approx 3' long) that gardners use to water potted plants. This wand has quick settings for spray or direct squirt. Either can do a good job on the underside of your vehicle. And you can take whatever amount of time you wish, vice, the quick squirt that a car wash offers. The wand is also excellent for reaching down into those hard to reach places in the engine area.

I have been to those "No Touch" car washes and they took took the wax off of my vehicle. I do not know it it was the harsh soap or the extreme power of the water spray, but I had diluted carnuba wax all down the sides, windows, and what not of my F-150.

Old 12-12-2006, 04:06 AM
Get a wand brush, or go to u-wash and wash with their wand if you absolutely have to. Myself, I'd rather go dirty than use any car wash (I even tell the dealer "NO WASH!!" when I take it in for an oil change and they offer me a "curtesy" wash).

Old 12-12-2006, 05:03 PM
I'd say just go to a regular self spray carwash.

Old 12-13-2006, 08:52 PM
Originally Posted by Req
I would recommend never go to a car wash unless you live in a freezing climate.

To wash the underside of your vehicle at home, purchase one of those watering wands (approx 3' long) that gardners use to water potted plants. This wand has quick settings for spray or direct squirt. Either can do a good job on the underside of your vehicle. And you can take whatever amount of time you wish, vice, the quick squirt that a car wash offers. The wand is also excellent for reaching down into those hard to reach places in the engine area.

I have been to those "No Touch" car washes and they took took the wax off of my vehicle. I do not know it it was the harsh soap or the extreme power of the water spray, but I had diluted carnuba wax all down the sides, windows, and what not of my F-150.
No offense to anyone here, but you're all wrong, 100%. There are theories, myths, and just plain bullchit out there about the carwash industry. An appropriate fullservice car wash with softcloth or lambswool in the tunnel will NOT do any damage, make any scratches, or in any other way harm the finish of a vehicle.
would recommend never go to a car wash unless you live in a freezing climate.
Give me one solid evidence backed reason why not. You can't. And if you can, I can rebute it and make you look a fool.
No, it didn't take the wax off. The reaon it looked like that is from chemical streaking. This is caused by two reasons. 1 is that you don't wax your vehicle enough. (most likely black, dark blue or dark green isn't it?) Without proper waxing, 4 times yearly, a vehicle may well streak, especially in a no touch chemical application wash. Those are the absolute worst of any. They may not touch your car, but they either apply way to much chemical, which can streak your car, or way to little which won't do anything.

This is a perfect example of people who know nothing about the commercial carwash industry acting like they know it all. Educate yourself on your topics before giving crappy advice next time

Old 12-13-2006, 09:27 PM
I havent had any problems with my the automatic car wash that I go to. I try to run my truck through it about every two weeks just to get the scum off of it and the water still beads up. The last time I waxed my truck was about 6 months ago.

I personally do not have the time to hand wash it myself, but the self car washes arent bad either.

I think for the most part it is just personal preference. But nothing beats a good ole handwashing.

Old 12-31-2006, 11:25 AM
same here i have no problems but still a little worried about all the talk on not going to one

Last edited by sal150; 12-31-2006 at 11:33 AM.

Quick Reply: When to go to Car Wash