Rust prone area!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 06:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rust prone area!

Have ya’ll noticed the gap at the bottom of the door where the door skin is crimped to the door? Mine isn’t crimped to the door at all! The gap is large enough to hold small pebbles and dirt and it acts like a gutter to hold dirt & water. And will for sure start to rust within a few years!! Anyway, I got some clear automotive seam sealer & filled the ‘gutter’ to keep it from holdin’ all the garbage but I left the door drain holes open. It wasn’t only all the front doors my tailgate also had this ’gutter’ at the bottom! Is Ford wanting these to rust? Anyway, just thought I would pass my find along to ya’ll..

Old 12-19-2006, 08:26 PM
i'd try some silicone sealer..... home depot or lowe's type!!!

Old 12-19-2006, 08:32 PM
Rust?

Got a 98 and the door bottoms and tailgate both started rusting really fast. Gotta keep an eye out for that kind of garbage.

Old 12-19-2006, 10:20 PM
Originally Posted by top_sgt
i'd try some silicone sealer..... home depot or lowe's type!!!
I was told not to use a silicone base sealer, that it is an acid base that will cause corrosion down the road. So I went with the automotive seam sealer I got from the body shop. but it wasn't enough so I gotta go back for another small tube..

Old 12-19-2006, 10:34 PM
good tip. Yeah, mine has the same look to it, and I guess it definately has the potential for problems down the line. So, since at some point I'll need to do the same, could you tell us:
1. What is the name of the product?
2. How much is needed (and if you don't mind, tell us what # of doors you have so we can judge amounts accordin to our vehicle's size.)
3. If you could post pics, please
4. Lastly--In a moderate amount of time, please let us know how it's hilding up.

Thanks.

Old 12-19-2006, 11:02 PM
Originally Posted by f-150sport03
good tip. Yeah, mine has the same look to it, and I guess it definately has the potential for problems down the line. So, since at some point I'll need to do the same, could you tell us:
1. What is the name of the product?
2. How much is needed (and if you don't mind, tell us what # of doors you have so we can judge amounts accordin to our vehicle's size.)
3. If you could post pics, please
4. Lastly--In a moderate amount of time, please let us know how it's hilding up.

Thanks.
1. I used 3M Clear Auto Sealer I picked up from my local auto body supply shop. It came in a 5 FL. OZ. tube.
2. I will use most of the one tube on my truck, I had to go over the seams twice to fill them!!! But I'm gonna get another for to finish Dads F250 S-CREW. My truck is a super cab with 4 doors '2 full & 2 half doors' and of course the tail gate. one tube should do a single truck. Unless ya have the S-CREW with the 4 full size doors..
3. Pics comming tomorrow
4. Will keep ya posted..

Old 12-19-2006, 11:05 PM
Ive got a 2000 150 and the bottom of my drivers door is rusted on the inside along with some surface rust beginnning at the edge of the bed by the bottom of the tailgate.

Old 12-20-2006, 05:33 AM
Originally Posted by FX4_Off_Road
I was told not to use a silicone base sealer, that it is an acid base that will cause corrosion down the road. So I went with the automotive seam sealer I got from the body shop. but it wasn't enough so I gotta go back for another small tube..
i didn't know that about the acid base. thanks...i'll remember that, and get my doors tonight!!!

Old 12-20-2006, 12:08 PM
Here's the pics

Old 12-20-2006, 07:39 PM
rust converter?

Has anyone ever used that rust converter stuff .

Quick Reply: Rust prone area!