Someone Keyed my Truck! What can I do?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 05:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Someone Keyed my Truck! What can I do?

So this happened a couple weeks ago and I'd really like to know what I could do before I get the funds together to have it repainted.

On my passenger door someone keyed "F@ck." It is probably 2 ft long by 8 inches high. Basically, its pretty bad.

I have taken some fine steel wool to it and have rubbed in a compound that made it slightly less noticeable.

Does anyone know of anything else I can do?

Old 12-20-2006, 05:33 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you have gone after it with rubbing compound -- considered by most to be just about as aggressive as it gets when it comes to polishing type of products -- then you probably have a respray on your hands.

If it's through the color coat and into the base (or metal), you're out of luck... if it's not, you may have a chance of wetsanding some of it out.

It's certainly an item that you could claim on insurance but, as we all know, there are two sides to that in that if you claim it, you'll pay for it later in premiums.

Bummer buddy... I hate to hear stories like this.

Old 12-20-2006, 06:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RockPick, thanks for the info.

Anyone know of a good brand of compound?

Anyone have any experience with 3M Perfect-It ll Rubbing Compound Fine Cut?

Old 12-20-2006, 06:34 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
3M's Perfect-It line is a very good line of products... while I haven't personally used that individual product, I would definitely choose it above many of the other 'compounding' products out there on the market from brands like Turtle.

Keep in mind, compounding removes a vast amount of clear coat. You only have so much clear coat to work with... if you burn through what you have, then you're in worse shape -- although, the only true fix to your situation is a respray so, maybe it's not worse off.

Quick Reply: Someone Keyed my Truck! What can I do?