I still think Liquid Glass is the shiat! *pics*

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 12:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up I still think Liquid Glass is the shiat! *pics*

Browsing through the show-n-shine forum at svtperformance I ran into a thread where people where calling Liquid Glass shit and calling people who liked it "OTC Noobs" (I assume OTC means over the counter).

Anyway, lets let some pics do some talking. Here was my truck the day it rolled off the showroom floor. New and spotless, but a little on the dull and bland side:

First thing I did besides tint the windows was give it a wash-n-wax job. This is before I heard of clay bars, nxt wax, or even high end boutique waxes. The only thing I had at home was an old can of Liquid Glass I used to use on my 87 f150. Here's the difference in just a wash and one single coat of Liquid Glass:

Notice how much darker and especially glossy and shiny it is? I mean come on now, that's a big difference for just a single step application! No other prep work was involved! Look at the extreme shine!

Lately I've been using NXT and more recently I've tried the #26 over top of NXT and to be honest, I still think Liquid Glass does a better job as a single step process and shows more of a result for not needing separate prep steps (before anyone starts posting pics of other waxes that's had machine polishing, compounding, claying, etc. steps).

And the durability... Back with my 87 f150 at that time I didn't know the difference between car soap and dish soap and even washing with dish soap, the Liquid Glass would still hold strong and bead water well after many washes!

Old 12-26-2006, 01:24 PM
Suspended
will not lie and pretend to know anything about waxes, but that truck sure does look good! Whatever you put on seems to be doing a great job

Old 12-26-2006, 01:48 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by emig5m
Notice how much darker and especially glossy and shiny it is? I mean come on now, that's a big difference for just a single step application! No other prep work was involved! Look at the extreme shine!

Lately I've been using NXT and more recently I've tried the #26 over top of NXT and to be honest, I still think Liquid Glass does a better job as a single step process and shows more of a result for not needing separate prep steps
The #26 wont give it more shine, it gives it more depth.Right now your truck looks more shiney than deep.I'm not saying it doesn't look good, I love blue Lightnings and yours looks great. What I am saying is depth and shiney are different looks.The deep look usually involves another step.
So if you prefer the 1 step process and your happy with LG that's all that matters.
Black can be a PITA so I usually use a 2 or 3 step process.

Old 12-26-2006, 04:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That second pic does look better. As long as you like it, it performs the way you want & it looks good to you, that's all that matters. I remember helping my dad wax his truck back in the day with LG.

Old 12-26-2006, 04:58 PM
Liquid Glass

x2

Works GREAT for me as well.... Come's off pretty easy as well. I love the results and it last longer that anything else I have used!

Old 12-26-2006, 05:16 PM
truck looks good.

I'd suggest giving a glaze and carnuba a shot your next time. Where in Jersey are you located?

Old 12-26-2006, 07:46 PM
I'm up northeast by the water gap. Isn't Megs #26 Carnauba? #26 didn't do much for me, even over top of NXT. Unless I'm using it wrong. But the thing is, I no longer have the blue truck and am working on red. The real reason I posted the pics was because people where trashing LG and calling it crap and I had some good from showroom to one coat of LG pics still saved.

Glaze you say? Really I want something where you can see a good difference from start to finish. #26 just made it look like a nice new clean truck, and I wanna make it look...breathtaking!

On my new truck, I think tomorrow if it's warm enough I'm going strip off the NXT and #26 and start over from scratch. I have some swirls that at a certain angle in the sun really stick out like a sore thumb (previous owners mis-treatment). But at anything other then that certain angle, it looks good. I might try LG on it after the swirl remover - I have not used LG on this vehicle yet.

I don't have time to order a PC online since tomorrow and the next day is probably the last days of the year I'll be able to do a full detail (man I've said that like three times already and it keeps staying above freezing). I checked Lowes and they didn't have it so what is the absolute best way to attack swirls by hand? I don't care if it's more filler then actually taking them away, I just want them hidden the best possible way by hand till I get a PC this spring.

I did one quick hand application of ScratchX before, but that only seemed to make the paint more reflective then actually take the swirls away. But like I said, it was a single quick application since I was hard pressed for time. I'm willing to dedicate an entire day tomorrow just swirl removing and wax the next. Is the 3m swirl remover much better then ScratchX? I should just screw the foreplay and go straight to wet-sanding then polish! Swirls definitely aren't going to compete with sandpaper! lol.

There, I just hijacked my own thread, lol.

Old 12-26-2006, 07:50 PM
Rock Pick?

Old 12-26-2006, 08:04 PM
My red truck with a claying, quick hand application of ScratchX, and a coat of NXT:

Then with #26 overtop:

I dunno, to me that's^ dull looking. Now scroll back up and look at the one with Liquid Glass. What a difference in shine! I assume the red will look just as shiny once the LG is applied.

Last edited by emig5m; 12-26-2006 at 08:06 PM.
Old 12-26-2006, 09:04 PM
Great info there! I really liked the results of the Autoglym Super Resin Polish. It looks like it slightly edged out Clearkote Red Moose Machine Glaze, but both seemed to yield the best results. You say you have it in stock? You own a store or something? Location.. etc? Hook me up. I really don't feel like waiting for mail order....

When they say "hits" does hit refer to a separate individual application? If so, five applications to the entire vehicle by hand, oh boy...

Old 12-26-2006, 10:45 PM
Originally Posted by emig5m
I should just screw the foreplay and go straight to wet-sanding then polish! Swirls definitely aren't going to compete with sandpaper! lol.
hope that was a joke.. wet sanding is way down on the list of things you should try, and an absolute no no if you don't know your way around a rotary buffer to finish the job.

if you want to try removal by hand .. use ScratchX.. try applying it with a terry applicator .. might take a couple of applications to get rid of them, but if they are light, it should work ..

Old 12-27-2006, 04:46 PM
Originally Posted by Gipraw
hope that was a joke.. wet sanding is way down on the list of things you should try, and an absolute no no if you don't know your way around a rotary buffer to finish the job.
Not really a joke. I took a spot of paint off my front bumper the size of a silver dollar down to the primer of the blue truck with my 3700 PSI pressure washer trying to get a stubborn bug splat off, lol. I sanded and re-painted it myself. After painting, it looked like shiat because the website that I ordered the paint from used such cheap cans the spray tip leaked and spit.

I then wet sanded it smooth and level and after it was dry, it was super dull and rough looking with absolutely no gloss, but perfectly smooth and level to the touch non-the-less. ScratchX by hand applied with a microfiber brought it back to a brand new shine and gloss.

I have only that much experience with wet sanding, that was my first and only time painting and wet sanding. I figured if I had to take it in and pay to have the bumper re-painted, there would be no harm in me trying to do it myself beforehand. But afterwards, it was the smoothest area on my truck! No matter what angle, you could not see a swirl mark or any imperfection! Everyone was impressed! In fact, I couldn't get anyone who didn't see the damage beforehand to point out the area on the bumper that was re-painted! With a spray can!

So it seems to me like wet sanding would re-smooth the surface the quickest and easiest way by hand totally wiping out any and all swirl marks. After the surface was re-leveled, then use ScratchX to bring back to a glossy shine. Seems like that would be easier then five separate applications where some swirls would still remain after all that work.

But I'm still not going to try it on the entire vehicle. Only reason I did that was because there was already damage that would require a body shop so I really had nothing to lose by trying and luckily I was able to pull it off myself.

Old 12-27-2006, 07:54 PM
when you are faced with a repaint, definately no harm in trying it yourself first ..

Still, I would not recommend wet sanding as a solution for minor swirls ..

Old 12-27-2006, 08:41 PM
Originally Posted by Gipraw
Still, I would not recommend wet sanding as a solution for minor swirls ..
I'd agree..you'd be surprised how many swirls and defects can be removed by polishing

Old 12-27-2006, 08:58 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hi Chris - I've pulled a couple of your posts -- no offense. Unfortunately, you're not allowed to 'self-promote' (ie: push your online store).

Sorry bud...

Quick Reply: I still think Liquid Glass is the shiat! *pics*