When to Wax a New Truck???

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 02:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question When to Wax a New Truck???

i have owned my 2006 f150 since october i wash it once a week or so but havent waxed yet...

am i way over do for a waxing and what kind should i use i hear everyone talk about #26 which i know is a meguiars wax, and NXT which im no so sure on

its been raining all week and my car looks horrible so i plan on doing this tommorow and help would be great. thanks in advance

Old 12-29-2006, 02:47 PM
I waxed mine the first day I got it.

Old 12-29-2006, 03:39 PM
You can wax as soon as you'd like. No need to wait. NXT is also a megs wax that contains fillers and some cleaners.

Old 12-29-2006, 04:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep, when mine is dirty, I wash and wax it, it always sheds the water when it rains Wax it when ever you have time!

Old 12-29-2006, 09:42 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The painting systems utilized today versus that of yesteryear are dramatically different...

You see, the paints from many years ago weren't catalyzed. This means, they weren't 'baked on' (or if they were, it was minimal). Today's paints, to meet stringent emissions regulations (Clean Air Act) and several other guidelines MUST be baked on from the factory. This, in turn, means that the toluenes, ethylbenzenes, 1,3,5 trimethylbenzenes, and such (all volatile organic compounds) are baked off and dealt with at the site (typically through thermal oxidation or scrubbing systems). In turn, they're not resident in your paint any longer -- well, at least 99% are gone. The other 1% goes poof while it's sitting on the lot waiting for transport.

So, the former paradigm of not waxing until 3 or 4 months after you get it from the factory is no longer the way one should think....

Now, there is an exception -- not always but, sometimes -- body shop work.

-RP-

Old 12-29-2006, 09:42 PM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by Chris(NJ)
You can wax as soon as you'd like. No need to wait. NXT is also a megs wax that contains fillers and some cleaners.

Very very very light cleaners.

Old 12-29-2006, 09:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, at my work, they paint, bake, and about an hour after its painted, they buff them, if needed. Its amazing how quick the whole process is nowadays

Old 12-29-2006, 10:51 PM
I waxed my truck for the first time today using Meguiars cleaner wax. Is that considered to be a "light" cleaner? What is the best interval for waxing? I had the feeling of doing it at every chance I could get.

Old 12-29-2006, 11:13 PM
Moderator &

All of the cleaner waxes that I know of are VERY light cleaners. That means that they're very safe for frequent use as they are very very minimally abrasive.

The simple answer to your question is: "wax as needed". In your environment (being that I'm in La Grange as we speak), you're probably good to go about once per quarter.

With a cleaner wax, I'd recommend one coat cleaner wax and one coat 'pure' wax or sealant.

Let me know if you ever need the services of a detailer -- I can point you to one that can help. ...especially since you're in Lville.

Old 12-29-2006, 11:23 PM
I figure once a month for waxing is more than enough and then use a fine polish twice a year. I know there are people who wax every week, and put on different layers of wax each time they wax, which is fine. However I am not going to be a slave to any vehicle.

Old 12-29-2006, 11:36 PM
Originally Posted by RockPick
All of the cleaner waxes that I know of are VERY light cleaners. That means that they're very safe for frequent use as they are very very minimally abrasive.

The simple answer to your question is: "wax as needed". In your environment (being that I'm in La Grange as we speak), you're probably good to go about once per quarter.

With a cleaner wax, I'd recommend one coat cleaner wax and one coat 'pure' wax or sealant.

Let me know if you ever need the services of a detailer -- I can point you to one that can help. ...especially since you're in Lville.
What would you recommend for a pure wax? My dad lives in LaGrange. I currently work and part-time live in Tennessee but, I am always back in Louisville as much as I can. Mine and my wifes family are both in the Louisville and surrounding areas, so the trip is worth it.

Old 12-30-2006, 12:18 AM
Originally Posted by Dr. Franko
I figure once a month for waxing is more than enough and then use a fine polish twice a year. I know there are people who wax every week, and put on different layers of wax each time they wax, which is fine. However I am not going to be a slave to any vehicle.
Definitely no need to wax once a week. Just use a booster such as a quick detailer. That will tie you over between waxes. I wax about every 5-6 weeks w/ a nice carnuba. On my truck, I use a longer lasting wax for protection instead of a deeper shine. I can go about 4+ months w/ that before rewaxing.

Old 12-30-2006, 12:20 AM
Originally Posted by intruder
What would you recommend for a pure wax? My dad lives in LaGrange. I currently work and part-time live in Tennessee but, I am always back in Louisville as much as I can. Mine and my wifes family are both in the Louisville and surrounding areas, so the trip is worth it.
For a carnauba paste wax, I recommend nattys blue (or regular depending on vehicle color). Has great depth and rivals much more expensive waxes such as souveran.

Old 12-30-2006, 11:58 AM
for a pure, wax, there are several that are very good .. Chris has mentioned a couple that perform very well.... the two I recommend most are Meg's #26 and Mother's pure Carnuba. in my opinion, they have the best balance of results, durability and availability for the average joe. They can both be picked up at most any autoparts store, for under $20 bucks.

If you don't mind doing a little searching, or some online business, then you open the door to even more options.. Nattys, as Chris mentioned, Pinnacle, Adams .. the list goes on and on ..

there is nothing wrong with experimenting .. as long as you stay with high quality products, trying different ones to find what you like is half the fun ..

Last edited by Gipraw; 12-30-2006 at 08:43 PM.
Old 12-30-2006, 03:32 PM
i bought some #26 yesterday and today iam going to buy NXT i think

i was thinking
wash
dry
wax
wax
polish with 26

i have an orbital buffer
any tips would be great

Quick Reply: When to Wax a New Truck???