how do i get rid of this????? Oxidation or Clear Failure?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 06:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hhmm do you normally wash and wax your truck allot? Even my old 1987 F150 never had problems with paint pealing and still looked new (besides a couple normal driving and wear nicks) up till the day I sold it. I waxed it monthly.

Old 01-03-2007, 07:03 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by hillman
...never waxed a car in my life (im 16), im new to it.
Snippet from *HER* earlier post.

Old 01-03-2007, 07:55 PM
Originally Posted by RockPick
Snippet from *HER* earlier post.
haha real funny. im a guy. just cause im not OCD about the deep shine in my truck. i usually take it to a car wash, and sometimes i even take it to a TOUCH car wash near the library, where my parents make me ****** volunteer for national honor society, just cause it takes a long time and they think im volunteering so it looks like i stay a long time (dont worry im there for at least 5 minutes to sign in and to say im there and not lying). i thought i might try waxing it and everything cause you say it looks so good, but i cant tell a difference from the car wash. and dont tell me i did it wrong cause i spent 3 hours on it just waxing it, so i guess my paint is worthless. just to lettin you know, not trying to get on your bad side not tryin to **** anybody off too much. did you know how to wax and polish and clean and what to use and how to do it when you got your first truck?

Last edited by hillman; 01-03-2007 at 08:06 PM.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:03 PM
and the owners supposedly told the dealership that the paint was all screwed up cause it went through dust storms in west texas and everything. dont even know if theres dust storms in west texas... so its not my fault that the paint is all screwed up, and im not saying your blaming me. i got the truck for 5000, theres going to be something wrong with it,and thats the only thing wrong with it, so i got a great deal, and it came with about 500 dollars worth of stereo in it too.

Old 01-03-2007, 08:05 PM
Moderator &

LOL... crap man. I'm sorry. I'm getting usernames confused. Didn't mean to call you 'she'. Honest mistake... I email with too many people on paint issues. *whew* Sorry.

Old 01-03-2007, 08:17 PM
that was fast. its cool, i understand. you have 20,000 posts. i had to let some steam out,things havent been going good.

Old 01-03-2007, 08:19 PM
Moderator &

Seriously man... I email back and forth with about 10 to 15 people every day about paint issues...

One of the most recent was a 'newbie' that is a female that had some questions. As I'm awful with usernames/real names, I, for some reason, connected yours to hers. Simple mistake. Sorry again.

Old 01-03-2007, 08:33 PM
Originally Posted by RockPick
.... As I'm awful with usernames/real names, I, for some reason, connected yours to hers. Simple mistake. Sorry again.
might have been the pic of the truck. some girl at my school has the same exact truck and color, only mines a lariat. then again, ive seen about 5 differnt ones where i live at musta been a popular color.

Old 01-03-2007, 08:34 PM
Moderator &

Nah... wasn't the pic. It was the email exchange with the aforementioned female...

Old 01-07-2007, 12:54 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I've had something like that on the roof of my truck. With Oxford White paint, it is REALLY hard to see, but when we had a hail storm last year and it dented the heck out of the roof, we took it in to get it repaired and when it came back the hazing was gone (along with the dents). My suggestion is ask a dealership/mechanic what they could do, then go to other places and see if you can get it done for cheap.

Old 01-08-2007, 03:55 PM
The pattern of the blemish almost looks like a chemical was poured/dripped on it. Could brake fluid do the same thing since it was localized to one area or would it have eaten to the metal?

Old 01-08-2007, 09:19 PM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by ehstaley
The pattern of the blemish almost looks like a chemical was poured/dripped on it. Could brake fluid do the same thing since it was localized to one area or would it have eaten to the metal?
Actually, fairly common along body lines that are horizontal... not uncommon to see a hood like this.

While chemicals could induce something like this, my money is on a combination of things including poor washing techniques, lack of protection, maybe a resprayed hood, and UV.

Old 01-08-2007, 11:46 PM
I would try to fix it myself before paying an arm and leg to have an auto body shop do it. You don't have nothing to lose if you can't fix it yourself since it would of had to go to the body shop anyway.

I'd say from the pics it looks like the clear is separating from the base coat. I would just wet sand the clear coat away until you got rid of the blemish then re-spray some clear coat, wet sand smooth, then finally polish. An area that I had to completely repaint the base coat on my 03 I got to look perfect from the factory on my first try.

Originally Posted by RockPick:
While chemicals could induce something like this, my money is on a combination of things including poor washing techniques, lack of protection, maybe a resprayed hood, and UV.
I would bet on lack of protection. I know so many people with their paint peeling, fading, etc. on not so old of vehicles that never get taken care of and definitely never waxed. My old 1987 truck's paint shined just like my 04's with no blemishes, fading, etc. other then normal accumulated chips and scratches while other trucks that year I see the paint totally pealing on the hood. My 87 got a nice coat of Liquid Glass monthly....

Old 01-09-2007, 12:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey kid, don't stress over a little bit of bad paint... Just be happy you've even got a vehicle at 16! If I were you I'd get a job (if you don't already have one) and start putting away some cash for something nice when you graduate.

I went from POS hand me down 4-door sedan (Dodge Monaco, looked something like this

only a bronze color) to a decent Ranger (Trailhead package, bigger tires, 3.0L V-6) to a low end Ranger (with the little 4 banger manual) until I saved enough money for what I've got now, and it was all worth it!

-NCSU

Old 01-10-2007, 05:38 PM
yeah, i plan on mowing lawns this summer. my dad owns a lawn care company and he said he would give me equipment, and refer me to jobs that he doesnt want. itss going to be hard with all the out of state tournys and everyday games with baseball thjis summer. im already saving money for a lightning.

Quick Reply: how do i get rid of this????? Oxidation or Clear Failure?