how do i get rid of this????? Oxidation or Clear Failure?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 05:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how do i get rid of this????? Oxidation or Clear Failure?

is there a way to make it look better? sorry, its a little dark.

Old 01-01-2007, 06:07 PM
It's hard to tell by your picture, but it looks like the clear coat is peeling...If it is peeling, it would probably have to be sanded and re-sprayed

I am not a pro in this area...

Old 01-01-2007, 06:32 PM
someone said something about oxidation. these may be better pics

Old 01-01-2007, 06:41 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It's hard to tell by the pics... can you visually see any flaking or other odd bubbling or anything?

Old 01-01-2007, 07:00 PM
no flaking or anything, looks like its fading in circles, like somebody rubbed it off. its still smooth feels like there is nothing wrong with it. isthere a way i can take the pic better, like higher or closer up? ill try again tommorow when the sun is on it. and rockpick, i know you know everything there is about detailing, can you get meugiar products at autozone? do they sell them as sets, because i dont really know which ones i should get, never waxed a car in my life (im 16), im new to it. and your truck is awesome, im getting a KR when im older

Old 01-01-2007, 07:52 PM
Moderator &

I'm fearing that your clear is failing rather than oxidation. Not sure what to recommend on photography... I'm definitely not a photographer.

If the clear is failing -- and this would be a spot where it'd fail -- there's nothing you can do.

Do you have these spots on both sides at that crease in the hood... any on the roof?

Old 01-01-2007, 08:01 PM
That almost looks like moisture trapped in the clearcoat...Have you had your truck under a car cover during rainy or wet weather? If so, the best thing you can do is let the Sun shine on it and maybe it can draw most of it out. Anyway, good luck with it. -Buddy

Trending Topics

Old 01-01-2007, 08:01 PM
just in that one spot, and a little spot on the fender right below. if there is nothing i can do about it, is there a way to prevent that from happening more or from getting worse?

Old 01-01-2007, 08:06 PM
try some 3m glaze compound, if that dont help it is probrobly your clear coat

Old 01-01-2007, 08:57 PM
Moderator &

If it's oxidation, there are oodles of products that can help... if it's clear failure, I don't want to point you to a product and you attempt to 'get after it' and further damage your finish.

If you're willing to give it a go, pick yourself up a bottle of some brand of cleaner wax -- this will be a product you can use to wax your truck plus, if it's oxidation, it will help to remove *some* of it. This is a good 'tester' product in that it's almost non-abrasive but, it'll have some oompah to remove some of it if it is, indeed, oxidation.

Do this at your own risk. You could further damage the paint but, it's unlikely unless you go at it like a bonehead running from a fire.

In short, go at it slow. Be patient. Use a terry applicator (CLEAN ONE!). Start with tiny circles with VERY moderate downward pressure. Make one or two or six passes and then reassess. You'll notice that it should look a little bit better... but, what you're looking for is the removal of that 'haze'.

If it's oxidation, you will note that it's removing rather than just getting glossier. That make sense?

If it does come off, we can bump you up to something a bit more abrasive to remove the rest... if not, you can go ahead and wax your truck with the cleaner wax (btw, get a good brand name... mothers, meguiar's, etc).

Let us know... it's a cheap fix if it's oxidation ($10 ish)... if not, you're out of luck unless you want to have it resprayed... Those are the two outcomes at this point... best of luck. Again, let us know.

Old 01-01-2007, 11:27 PM
ok, ill try it tommorow or wednesday since i have nothing to do because its christmas break, most likely tommorow if my parents give me money. dont think it is possible to make it any worse. ill keep you posted. thanks for all your help. how do you know all this stuff?

Last edited by hillman; 01-01-2007 at 11:32 PM.
Old 01-01-2007, 11:33 PM
Moderator &

Glad to help... let us know how it turns out.

Old 01-02-2007, 05:33 PM
just got done trying it. and it didnt do anything. i used mothers cleaner wax. after looking at it over and over i spotted some flaking at the top of the hood, by the windshield wiper. I ended up waxing the whole truck

Old 01-02-2007, 06:46 PM
Moderator &

Definitely good to wax it... bad that it's flaky.

Unfortunately, the flake is almost certain clear failure. Sorry bud... that's the bad news.

-RP-

Old 01-02-2007, 11:07 PM
I'm w/ these guys, looks like clear failure from the pic. A good chemical cleaner polish/paint cleaner should do the trick if its oxidation.

Quick Reply: how do i get rid of this????? Oxidation or Clear Failure?