help with clay bar

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 10:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question help with clay bar

i hear alot of talk about these, and am just wondering, how effective and what exactly do they do and how are they applied.. etc.. i try to wax my truck after ever wash.. (usually 3-4 times a month)..also what do they cost, where to buy and what brand you recomend.

thanks for the help-
B.F.D.M.

Old 01-02-2007, 10:57 PM
A clay bar is applied by running it over a freshly washed surface. Using a clay lube such as clean soapy water, or a designated clay lube spray, move the clay bar in a back/forth motion. This will allow the clay to pick up any surface contaminents off your vehicle. Do this over the whole vehicle. The pic below is a clay bar after doing on panel on the car I detailed today. You can see all the dirt/debris it picked up. Depending on brand, expect prices to be anywhere from 10-40.00.

Old 01-02-2007, 11:15 PM
Originally Posted by Chris(NJ)
Ha! That's exactly how dirty my clay bar was from my roof and windshield after the dealer detailed it and even after my 3700psi pressure washer and soap scrubbing! I had my quick clay kit from Meguiar's sitting in my supply closet for over a year and could never convince myself it was worthwhile to do until a moment of desperation arouse - get a used vehicle to look as good as my new one did. Glad I finally tried it! And not to mention the smoothness of the paint afterwards!

Old 01-02-2007, 11:23 PM
so it just pics up any left over debri/dirt/etc.. i heard it also fills in scratcehes or sumehting.. but it makes it smooth?..

is that it?

also.. how hard to you rub.. or do u just lightly go back and forth..

Old 01-03-2007, 12:25 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by F150_B.F.D.M.
so it just pics up any left over debri/dirt/etc.. i heard it also fills in scratcehes or sumehting.. but it makes it smooth?..

is that it?

also.. how hard to you rub.. or do u just lightly go back and forth..
It removes bonded contamination that simple washing doesn't remove. It's a necessary step in order to prepare the paint for polishing/finishing as it'll aid in keeping the paint optically correct.

Plus, contamination on your paint bonded in-situ for a long period of time will yield problems with the paint (ie: rail dust will further oxidize in your paint creating rust specs).

It *does not* do anything for scratches, swirls, or other visual defects of this nature.

Pressure is limited to, basically, the weight of your hand. Let the claybar do the work.

Old 01-03-2007, 10:47 AM
As far as a brand and where to get:
I have been getting the Meguires Quick Clay kit. In it you will find the Megs QD Spray and a small clay bar. You can find this kit at your local O'Reilly, Advance Auto, Autozone, Pepboys, etc... I have never seen or found this kit Wal-Mart, so you probably won't have any luck there.

Megs makes another kit thats called the Smooth Surface kit. The clay bar is the same and the lubricating QD Spray is the same. The only thing that is different is that SS kit comes with a MF towell or something like that.

You can expect the kit to range from 10.00 to 14.00.

Old 01-03-2007, 07:59 PM
ok, thanks for the help guys, and lastly, is there a big difference after wards and do you do that before you wax it while its still wet, or dry then clay bar?

thanks-
B.F.D.M.

Old 01-03-2007, 08:03 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Clay 'kits' will come with a lubricating spray... which is typically a 'Quick Detailer' type of product.

Old 01-03-2007, 09:11 PM
I usually claybar before every wax job, but twice a year. Holy crappers batman you wax alot BFDM, I'm hoping it's the spray stuff because damn, that much waxing is like a career. Anyways, as far as benefits, second to none for smooth finishes. I work at a Ford plant that pukes fallout (casting plant) and this bar takes away 95% or better of it, some is just staying in the paint. And really, hardly any pressure is to be applied, just 2 fingers or 3 and wipe in uniform motions, too easy. I follow up with a pre wax cleaner, then Eagle One Nanowax.

Old 01-03-2007, 10:37 PM
Some people will use the clay bar and the QD spray while the vehicle is still wet. I tend to dry the best I can and then I clay. Sometimes I will wash again after I clay, but thats only if I really really really think its necessary. After you clay, then you will polish and wax etc...

I asked the pressure question once and got the same answer you have received here, which is light light pressure. Another question that I haven't seen addressed is how much lube to use. While there may not be a perfect answer, and I'm sure everyone's opinion is different, but I spray each section three times and the clay bar once. I'm sure someone else will chime in about that with a better answer for that.

Hope it works out.

Old 01-03-2007, 10:38 PM
ya.. i try to wax it every time.. mainly bc i loveeee they way if feels after,.. and also, its a way to get rid of all the water spots that seem to still somehow get on there even though i thoroughly hand dry it..

but there was a wax that this guy used on my parents expenisve cars, that had some kin d chrystals in it or sumthign.. and the wax costed like 80 bux i think he said, and u could apply it, and then watch it chrystalize and crap.. it was relaly good stuff..

but anyways.. thanks for the help on the clay bar
-B.F.D.M.

Quick Reply: help with clay bar