Woll mitt cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 11:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Woll mitt cleaning

Just purchased two wool wash mitts and 2 gritguards based on this forums info.
New black larait arrives in March and I don't want to take any chances.
I have 2 questions.

1. If using the gritguards in the wash pail, is the 2 pail method still necessary

2. How, and how often do you wash the wool mitts

Thanks for all the good info

Old 01-11-2007, 12:46 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jdreg
Just purchased two wool wash mitts and 2 gritguards based on this forums info.
New black larait arrives in March and I don't want to take any chances.
I have 2 questions.

1. If using the gritguards in the wash pail, is the 2 pail method still necessary

2. How, and how often do you wash the wool mitts

Thanks for all the good info
1. The point of the two bucket system is to help keep 'dirty' water confined in one bucket versus it being your only bucket. In short, I'd use a grit guard in BOTH buckets. Being that you've got black, you're going to want to do EVERYTHING UNDER THE SUN to prevent problems on the paint. Trust me, black is a monster. It'll be a labor of love though...

That said, I would personally consider it a necessity.

2. I will, on average, spray out my mitt between 2 and 10 times during the course of an average wash on ANY colored vehicle. Further, at the end of the wash, I'll rinse the mitt VERY thouroughly and then store it in an open Ziploc bag (open so that it doesn't turn into a moldy mess -- in a Ziploc to prevent it from coming into contact with 'stuff' that may contaminate it and potentially cause scratching/swirling/etc). Mits, in my opinion, are cheap versus spending a day working out a plethora of swirls induced by poor wash habits.

To add, I think that the majority of 'high end' detailers will tell you that swirls are induced, primarily, in two ways.

1. Poor wash habits and technique and;

2. Poor quick detailing habits and techniques.

That said, go out of your way to make sure that these two key points are handled at all costs and time.

-RP-

Quick Reply: Woll mitt cleaning