Washing a black truck.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 11:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Washing a black truck.

What is the best way to wash a black truck to minimize scratching? I am interested in products or methods of washing my truck to keep it looking its best between details.

Old 01-11-2007, 11:13 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Two bucket method -- that's my opinion.

# 1 bucket is for clean, fresh water. No chemicals.
# 2 bucket is for water/shampoo.

Using 'grit guards' in both buckets is also a desirable habit.

Starting from top to bottom, wash a panel using a 100% cotton or 100% wool mitt (I prefer wool because of the amount of wash solution that it holds versus most cotton mitts that I've used). Washing with only the weight of light (very light) downward pressure from your hand, do a panel at a time.

Once you've done a panel, take the mitt to the clean water and rinse it out. This step removes the 'gunk' that you just accumulated in the mitt so that you're not rubbing it all over the paint in your next wash step. Then, of course, go back to your wash solution and repeat.

Again, you're working from the top - downard.

Once you're nearer areas that would accumulate the most grunge, you need to switch over to a wash mitt/sponge that is dedicated to these areas. These areas, for me, include any area in the 'two tone' area (the accent color), bumpers, anything near wheels or wells (fender lips), running boards/tubes, lower front valences, any where that the wheels could toss and adhere sand or grit etc... further, these areas always come *LAST* in the process.

Don't be afraid to change out the water on occasion. I've been known to change the water in both buckets 3 or 4 times on a single vehicle depending on the amount of grunge on the paint. Further, I've actually changed mitts mid-wash before because I really felt that I ruined the first mitt on just the first half of the vehicle (the car was a client's 02 Blazer -- long story).

Another thing that I like to do is to use my Ultimate Hose Nozzle and flood the mitt to remove all soap and, hopefully, embedded grit (stuff that's down in the nap of the mitt). I do this frequently rather than just swishing it around in my 'clean' water bucket (btw, that clean water bucket gets changed a MINIMUM of one time during EVERY wash for me).

You can't be too careful when it comes to black.

Drying is another issue with scratching/marring.

Blotting techniques, water sheeting techniques, and water filtration are all items to consider.

Blotting doesn't 'rub' the paint and thus minimizes the possibility to pick up a piece of grit and drag it all over the paint.

Sheeting is a very nifty/handy trick. To do this, simply take the nozzle off of the hose at the end of the wash. Using a slow stream, start at the top of the vehicle and allow the water to run out of the hose on to the paint with as little aggitation as possible. The point is to cause the water stream to create a sheeting action with the water that is resident on the paint from your earlier rinsing with the wash cycle. This *GREATLY* reduces dry time. USE THIS METHOD EVERY TIME!

Water filtration -- if your water is hard (like mine) consider getting a device that will minimize the mineral content of your water BEFORE it makes it to your paint. This helps with drying and, even more, with water spotting and such.

That help?

Old 01-11-2007, 11:49 PM
Totally agree

Rock is right the only thing i would add, he may have said it, but wash it as early in the morning as you can or as late in the evening. if you don't it will look like it has a haze or water spots. then you will end up waxing it to get it to look right. also when you apply tire wet, if you are going to drive it wipe it down real good to keep it from splattering all over your truck if not let it sit and soak in your tires and wipe it down the next day for better results.

Old 01-11-2007, 11:50 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Both good points hwy4x4..

Definitely no direct sunlight - if you can keep from it.

Old 01-12-2007, 03:17 PM
Also for drying, leaf blowers work very well. Just make sure your driveway is clean before you decide to blow back on all the dirt you just washed off

Old 01-14-2007, 10:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My truck is black, had several black vehicles in the past. I switch to a new sponge every two washes. I usually use microfirer sponges, use microfiber drying towels, and switch them out every 5-6 uses. Even with all of that, I get scratches. That method does minimize it compared to terry cloth towels.
That is the curse of black paint though, beautiful when clean, but hard as hell to keep that way!

Old 01-14-2007, 11:55 PM
I second the leaf blower. It works very, very well obviously minimizing any further rubbing with drying. Also eliminates the constant drip from behind the plastic trim and emblems--blows it right outta there.

I also have black paint. This is what I do to combat the dreaded water spots. I use a one gallon hand pump sprayer filled with either soft water or distilled water as a second rinse. Let as much of the hard water run off as possible then spray with the soft/distilled. Have your trusty leaf blower at the ready. Guaranteed no spots.

Friend from Phoenix Arizona told me about the pump sprayer trick. He had no shade, none. A real fanatic about his black F-150. That said, I had to believe it worked, considering how fast the sun dries out everything out there.

Trending Topics

Old 01-16-2007, 08:53 PM
Someone should sticky the post by Rockpick. Well done and thank-you.

Quick Reply: Washing a black truck.