PC and scratch X

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 11:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PC and scratch X

Can they be used together, if so what would be the best speed. This is for very light scratches. Or should I use something like #2.

Old 01-13-2007, 12:32 PM
Scratch-X is best by hand. I haven't tried #2 on the PC so I don't know how that would work. Your best bet is Scratch-X by hand and if that doesn't work try #80 with PC. If it is light scratches that should do the trick. Try the least aggressive first is what Meguiar's recommends.

Kevin

Old 01-13-2007, 02:43 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Scratch-X and a PC don't really play that well together. Scratch-X tends to 'gum up' and 'ball up' thus not really offering any problem removing properties.

By hand, SX is a very good product for localized removal of problem spots as you really can't generate the movement that a PC creates with your hand.

Meg's has recently changed the formulation of Scratch-X however, I don't think the reformulation affected it's performance on the PC.

In a nutshell, stick with Scratch-X by hand and, if you need to do a large surface area, consider going with Kevin's recomendation of #80 (or less/more) depending on your paint's situation.

Old 01-15-2007, 12:43 AM
My whole, (black paint) hood is acid rain, bird bomb, clear coat etched. I have an old style, metal case, high speed rotary buffer.

RockPick recommended a great article put out by Meg's stating to use Scratch-X. I failed to mention to RockPick my whole entire hood was ruined with huge, deep, etched in water spots. I firmly believe it was caused from the Turtle Wax product called, ICE. My factory finish was beautiful until I used the ICE synthetic wax. Overnight it rained, the sun came out the next morning, dried the water spots on the hood and I was left with a mess of etched clear coat. Why it didn't effect the rest of the truck I have no idea other than the sides not being in the direct sunlight. Turtle Wax is using the old disclaimer rules. Ford warranty is claiming my neglect. I'm screwed short of trying to fix it myself. Question begs, should I have the whole hood repainted or try and buff the etched mess out? I sure don't want this to happen again. It looks horrible and embarrassing to drive.

Quick Reply: PC and scratch X