TW Polishing Compound

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 08:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TW Polishing Compound

Click here to see

So I was out to get my truck all cleaned up in the great weather we had yesterday, and I tried the above stuff. I had heard that it was great by hand or machine via DA. So, after stripping off all the previous wax and such, I started out with this stuff and a wool compounding bonnt for the DA. What a waste of time, money, and clearcoat. I swirled the heck out of the finish (even though I followed up with Color-X). For the time being, the truck has a coat of NXT until we get warm enough weather to re-do everything.

I strongly DO NOT reccommend this product to anyone UNLESS they are battling SEVERE oxidation/scratches. In fact, I probably will never use it again on any clearcoated vehicle.

My plans to fix the problem (and please correct me if I'm wrong anywhere along the line);

Restrip wax (via washing with Dawn)
Clay (didn't this time, but next time, it'll need it)
Step 1
Scratch-X as needed
Color-X as many times as needed
polish (#7, or if there are VERY light swirls, #9)
Wax (Please tell me which you prefer: #21 or NXT--silver flake truck)
Wax (after 12 hours, QD wipedown to eliminate dust, then repeat the synthetic wax)
Wax (after 12 hours, #26 twice)

Sound good??? I would really like to get ahold of some #80 or #82, but Otter Zone and the like don't carry it. I might try to get them to order it...I don't like internet orders.

BTW--don't confuse the product I used with the rubbing compound (heavy duty stuff)--this

Sorry for the long write up, but I thought I might let you guys know (and maybe get some advice)

Old 01-22-2007, 08:53 PM
BTW--I DID take before pics. After I clean up the trim and wheels, I'll take after pics. Those should be around sometime in the next few days...

Old 01-22-2007, 09:00 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Where did you gather the TW Polishing Compound information?

Old 01-22-2007, 11:54 PM
wow .. TW polishing compound and a wool bonnet ..

without seeing pics, I would be very suprised if you could get back to where you want to be without hitting it with at least some #80.

I have never been a fan of the Turtle Wax compounds ..

If you want to drive down to Houston .. I have a little bit of it sitting around here, I am sure we could make it shiny again

but, if you don't feel like road tripping to Houston, then try this .. these guys are in Dallas, great people, and will have anything you want in the way of meg's stuff, in stock. just drive buy, and bring your wallet

http://www.wash-solutions.com/

If they are too far from you, then click on the link below, enter your zip code, click on the Professional Products radio button, then click on find dealers .. 90% of the people listed will have #80 in stock ..

http://www.meguiars.com/dealerlocator/

Old 01-23-2007, 02:20 PM
Originally Posted by Gipraw
wow .. TW polishing compound and a wool bonnet ..

without seeing pics, I would be very suprised if you could get back to where you want to be without hitting it with at least some #80.

I have never been a fan of the Turtle Wax compounds ..

If you want to drive down to Houston .. I have a little bit of it sitting around here, I am sure we could make it shiny again

but, if you don't feel like road tripping to Houston, then try this .. these guys are in Dallas, great people, and will have anything you want in the way of meg's stuff, in stock. just drive buy, and bring your wallet

http://www.wash-solutions.com/

If they are too far from you, then click on the link below, enter your zip code, click on the Professional Products radio button, then click on find dealers .. 90% of the people listed will have #80 in stock ..

http://www.meguiars.com/dealerlocator/

Yeah--stupid in hindsight...

Definately too far for me to go to Houston, and the Dallas seems a bit of a trip when there's some others (courtesy of the Megs dealer Locator) closer. Thanks for the help and the offer on the #80.

RP--The can of the TW compound says "best when used with machines by professionals." Or something to that effect... The good reviews I've read from it came from a detailing book I purchased a while back. There's a lot of good info in it, but a lot of bad and/or outdated info, too.

So, if #80 doesn't work (which I'm sure it will, the swirls after color-X aren't as horrible as I thought), what would you advise? 2 applications of #80? Or a stronger compound then # 80?

Thanks for the help.

BTW--I forgot to mention--after the color-x, I did polish with #9 to reduce the visibility of the swirls until I got the opportunity to go at them again.

Old 01-23-2007, 11:14 PM
Moderator &

If #80 doesn't touch it, #83 is the next bet. Above and beyond that, you're venturing into rotary work.

Additionally, you'll probably need another step BEYOND #83 -- like #80 -- as #83 will lightly mar the finish...

Old 01-23-2007, 11:31 PM
RockPick sorry to interject but Im guna have to wax my car this week and i was wondering if you still think megs NXT is still the best way to go? Also i was at the dealership and i saw their Motocraft wax "specialy formulated" for our trucks, the wax that our owners manual tells us to only use Motocraft wax and polish specially formulated for our clearcoat. What are your thoughts is the motocraft stuff good or just is it just Ford trying to get the market for their products by propagating us in the manual?

Trending Topics

Old 01-23-2007, 11:43 PM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by BABA4488
RockPick sorry to interject but Im guna have to wax my car this week and i was wondering if you still think megs NXT is still the best way to go? Also i was at the dealership and i saw their Motocraft wax "specialy formulated" for our trucks, the wax that our owners manual tells us to only use Motocraft wax and polish specially formulated for our clearcoat. What are your thoughts is the motocraft stuff good or just is it just Ford trying to get the market for their products by propagating us in the manual?
It's propoganda. No doubt about it.

NXT is a quality product but, that's not to say that the Motorcraft stuff is garbage.

I used to know who made the Motorcraft stuff for FoMoCo but, I can't recall now. It's certainly not 'Ford' making it. Meguiar's - for example - makes all of the BMW & Chrysler products - and several others that I can't really disclose.

My opinion, go with NXT, Synwax, or Meg's Cleaner Wax.

I don't know your paints' condition but, all of those three will offer slight 'polishing' action to remove some oxidation and some swirling (or conceal)... generally speaking, they're QUALITY products that will do a solid job.

RP

Old 01-24-2007, 08:56 AM
Originally Posted by RockPick
If #80 doesn't touch it, #83 is the next bet. Above and beyond that, you're venturing into rotary work.

Additionally, you'll probably need another step BEYOND #83 -- like #80 -- as #83 will lightly mar the finish...

OK. Thanks a lot man. I really feel like an idiot in hindsight, but I guess you have to experience it to really learn from the mistakes... Time to go buy some #80 and probably 83...

Old 01-24-2007, 12:29 PM
Originally Posted by f-150sport03
... I guess you have to experience it to really learn from the mistakes...
that is what your friend's trucks are for

should be a pretty easy fix .. good luck

Quick Reply: TW Polishing Compound