I need to polish some aluminum

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 10:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need to polish some aluminum

SO what all do i need to do? and what do i need to use...it is just aluminum plate that is welded to be an intake manifold for my turbo project...

Thanks for the help!

Old 01-22-2007, 10:30 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Heavy Metal Polish... simply the best on the market.

Old 01-22-2007, 11:55 PM
so rock which one should i go with? its just natural aluminum...thnaks

Old 01-23-2007, 09:18 AM
I have a metal finishing shop and I can assure you that a store bought polishing cream is not going to polish out raw aluminum. First you need to sand the part with various grits of paper until you get a smooth 600 grit finish. Then buy a spiral sewn buffing wheel and tripoli buffing compound. Buff part till you achieve the desired smoothness then clean and switch to a loose cotton wheel with tripoli compound and give it the final mirror shine. At this point it will look like chrome and you can now use the store bought polish to maintain the shine. I personally recommend Mothers Mag and Aluminum polish or Flitz. You can get them at any auto parts retailer. Sounds complicated but the buffing wheels are not expensive and you can put them on a bench grinder for home use. With a little practice you will be amazed at how easy it is to turn rough aluminum into custom show parts for your truck.

Old 01-23-2007, 09:22 AM
Originally Posted by ihctractor
I have a metal finishing shop and I can assure you that a store bought polishing cream is not going to polish out raw aluminum. First you need to sand the part with various grits of paper until you get a smooth 600 grit finish. Then buy a spiral sewn buffing wheel and tripoli buffing compound. Buff part till you achieve the desired smoothness then clean and switch to a loose cotton wheel with tripoli compound and give it the final mirror shine. At this point it will look like chrome and you can now use the store bought polish to maintain the shine. I personally recommend Mothers Mag and Aluminum polish or Flitz. You can get them at any auto parts retailer. Sounds complicated but the buffing wheels are not expensive and you can put them on a bench grinder for home use. With a little practice you will be amazed at how easy it is to turn rough aluminum into custom show parts for your truck.
X2 !!! If its natural aluminum you will need to start with sand paper thats the only way to go Just dont get in a hurry and it will turn out good

Old 01-23-2007, 09:38 AM
If you are serious about it buy a kit from Eastwood.com.I had to do various parts for my truck and bought the basic kit.It came with various grits of paper that can fit in a regular die grinder or drill.That i used on my manifold.If it is regular flatstock or something not cast just differant grades of sandpaper up to 600.Then I also bought some buffers from Eastwood with three differant compounds to do the final polishing.Am very happy with the results and you can see them on my page.It does take a little elbow grease though so be prepared.

Old 01-23-2007, 02:41 PM
Originally Posted by ihctractor
This guys right on. I have the kit with 300, 400, and 600 grit paper. It takes forever to get the smallest of things the way you want them too.

Trending Topics

Old 01-23-2007, 03:23 PM
Thanks 98Navi, I've been at it a while mostly boat and motorcycle parts. It does take a lot of time to do a good job and if your afraid to get dirty then stay away cause without proper ventilation you will look like a coal minor in minutes. Once you get the hang of it though its well worth it!

Quick Reply: I need to polish some aluminum