Polish?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 05:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks!

Thanks so much for all the tips, they have all been very informative. If I'm understanding things correctly, it sounds like the polish won't really do anything productive for my finish, only make it "look" better. That being the case, I may skip it for now. I was hoping it might help with some of the light scratches and such. But from searching around in the archives, it seems to me that polish is mostly just a cosmetic product...

Again, my plan is to wash, clay and wax. I'm planning to give the NXT stuff a try and see how it performs. Am I correct in that the polish step isn't adding much to the equation other than a cosmetic boost? If so I'll save that for another time. Thanks again for all the input.

- Craig

Old 02-02-2007, 06:08 PM
I think you're talking about this stuff.

At least this is what has been recommended to me.

Old 02-02-2007, 06:21 PM
I've got a spot or two that I will hit with the Scratch-X, but don't want to do both complete sides of the truck. Was hoping for something to use on the whole truck that might help out the finish a bit. Hunting season tends to be a bit rough on things around here...

- Craig

Old 02-02-2007, 06:52 PM
Try this link. This will tell you about polishes and polishing.

http://www.autopia-carcare.com./inf-polishing.html

Old 02-02-2007, 10:45 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by craig d
I've got a spot or two that I will hit with the Scratch-X, but don't want to do both complete sides of the truck. Was hoping for something to use on the whole truck that might help out the finish a bit. Hunting season tends to be a bit rough on things around here...

- Craig
It depends on if you need 'cleaning' action with your polish or if you want it to simply help the paint 'pop'.

Based on your hunting comment, I'm going to assume that you need some cleaning...

That said, and utilizing products that can typically be found somewhat locally at a 'mart-style' autoparts store (Pep, AZ, Adv.), I'd recommend going with something like Scratch-X for the more 'problematic' spots and then using a product like Meguiar's #9 Swirl Mark Remover (not really a remover but more of a concealer) over the entire truck. It's a very user friendly product that will, universally, help with light swirling and very light oxidation (sort of). The Scratch-X would be the best product over the entirety of the truck but, you're going to have some SERIOUSLY sore arms if you don't have a machine (ie: PC) for application.

#9 isn't really a tricky product but, you're going to have to follow the instructions explictly. Again, expect sore arms.

Before I really go any farther with other recommendations, what are your expectations? Are you looking to bring it back to show room or are you wanting a little pop with some protection?

-RP-

Old 02-03-2007, 11:51 AM
RP, thanks for all your time in helping. My main goal is to keep the truck looking good over the long term. It stays outside in the brutal Arizona sun all year, so it needs all the help it can get! I was thinking that in between claying and waxing, maybe once a year or so I would hit it with some polish/glaze just to help remove some of the light scratches and other blemishes and contaminants that I missed with the wash and clay. I know that the hunting trips are hard on the paint, as is the winter snow and ice. In between that and the summer sun, I just wanted to do a little extra work and keep it looking nice. But, a little extra shine certainly wouldn't hurt, either. I certainly don't want to use anything that might be over my skill level and cause any damage to the paint. I'm heading into town this morning and I'll take a look at what products I can find. I'll check out that #9 before I head out. Thanks for the suggestions..

Here's a picture I took a few months back from a short trip out...

Thanks again for the help!

- Craig

Quick Reply: Polish?