Glare??

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 01:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Glare??

Glare is supposed to be the Shiznizzle! It contains glassplexin that is like a liquid glass until it bonds with your paint. Anyone have any experiences with it?

I do not and will never use a wax on my vehicles. Wax ruins paint jobs!!!! Wax it, set it in the sun to bake, and watch as it sinks into your clear coat and leave a haze.

Old 02-09-2007, 01:53 PM
How does wax ruin your paint job? You wax then you wait for it to haze. Once in hazes, you remove the wax. Presto, a clean and protected paint job.

Old 02-09-2007, 03:26 PM
Originally Posted by cskrmetti
How does wax ruin your paint job? You wax then you wait for it to haze. Once in hazes, you remove the wax. Presto, a clean and protected paint job.

I'm not talking about the haze wax gets b4 you remove it. I'm talking about the haze you can visibly see between you clear coat and paint. The shop that did a color change on my Mustang told me he never uses wax because it sinks into your clear then the after years of baking in the sun it causes a haze. You can wax your vehicle all you want..I will only use sealants and polishes on my paint, no carnauba for me.

Old 02-09-2007, 03:35 PM
Can you elaborate on this a little further for me? I can't see a layer of haze between my clear coat and paint. Are you just referring to just carnuba wax? NXT is 'wax' but it is made from synthetic polymers. I've never heard that wax is bad for your paint. Even with this theory, if you use a good sealant, you should be able to wax over that. If the sealant does it job, the wax couldn't seep into the paint.

So what sealants do you use and or reccommend?

Old 02-09-2007, 05:00 PM
I'm not quite sure I agree with you, but for principle of being an educated man, I am curious to know more about what it is you're talking about.

In my personnal experience, I've found that after waxing, there is a deeper, optically clearer, and more rich appearance to the clear/color than before waxing. Perhaps the color change guy was using a different tyoe of clear (ie: shellac, etc...) or maybe he is just wrong. Or, maybe he is on to something, but whatever it is, I don't understand it. I only say this because the people I know that have never waxed have clearcoat failures after a short while (ie: less than 10 years). Those who have waxed religiously have near perfect paint...

I'll be willing to bet, though, that he didn't pay attention in his paint cert class... If he's not following EPA standards, than you can't wax for a little bit (what is it, 90 days???)... as opposed to car mfg.'s, who follow the regs, that have baked their cars already, meaning you can wax them.

I realize that I have overlapped myself and contradicted myself, but that's putting pretty much everything that comes to mind on the table. RP???

Old 02-09-2007, 05:01 PM
Originally Posted by MI OFACE
Glare is supposed to be the Shiznizzle! It contains glassplexin that is like a liquid glass until it bonds with your paint. Anyone have any experiences with it?

BTW-- is this in any way related to the famous product Liquid Glass???

Old 02-09-2007, 07:31 PM
Originally Posted by f-150sport03
BTW-- is this in any way related to the famous product Liquid Glass???
No, Liquid Glass is a different product.

As for you other guys, I will try to find what I can supporting my claim. He showed me his black Chevy Z71 and how it had a haze in it from waxing. I probably wouldn't have even noticed it if he didn't show me and describe what he was seeing. And he wasn't no paint dummie..thats why I took my car there for a show car paint job. Still I will see what I can find to support my so called claims which I am sure would only affect carnauba not synthetic wax.

Trending Topics

Old 02-09-2007, 07:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sounds like one guys opinion to me. Ive never heard of that, nor have i experienced that, or anyone I know of.

Old 02-09-2007, 07:59 PM
OK so here someone disagrees:
http://www.malms.com/industry_hype_myths.html says:
Don't be fooled into thinking that Carnauba is bad or that it causes yellowing paint. This is just the latest 'Hype' used by companies that make car polish that does not contain expensive, imported real Carnauba Wax! The finest blends of Carnauaba wax are still regarded by the experts as the best product to coat your automobile's paint!

Here someone experienced yellowing:
http://autopia.org/forum/detailing-p...g-boat-14.html says:
Thanks for the feedback -- If I end up staying with NXT, I will try the #26 as a topcoat. I used to use a Meg wax a long time ago that came in a yellow can -- I think it was #19?, but I can't find that listed so I'm probably wrong. I switched to P21S over some concern that the Meg "yellowed" the color a bit -- carnubas are reported to yellow over time and this one started out yellow was my rationale -- but I did actually see some yellowing over time on metallic blue. I assume this isn't an issue with #26.

Me:
Either way I have heard that Carnauba yellows your wax over time as it bakes in the sun. I'm sure this is not the case with synthetic polymers. If I find anything more that supports one way or the other I will post it. I don't mean to stir up the pot here as each are entitled to their own.

Last edited by MI OFACE; 02-09-2007 at 08:02 PM.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:04 PM
If it yellows then strip the wax of the paint with either paint cleaner or dawn.

Old 02-09-2007, 09:28 PM
Originally Posted by cskrmetti
If it yellows then strip the wax of the paint with either paint cleaner or dawn.
Problem is people say they have had it get in between their paint and Clearcoat when the carnauba melts in the hot sun. I don't think you ever want to use paint cleaner or dawn on your car if you care how it looks and shines.

Old 02-09-2007, 10:08 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've heard that the moon is made of cheese yet, because I'm a free-thinker, I tend to disagree with that opinion.

You're free to have your own opinions... we'll have ours.

Old 02-09-2007, 10:55 PM
Problem is people say they have had it get in between their paint and Clearcoat when the carnauba melts in the hot sun. I don't think you ever want to use paint cleaner or dawn on your car if you care how it looks and shines.
Paint cleaner as in the wax like stuff you use to get deposits off the paint. But I'm w/ Rockpick on this one. That's your opinion and don't well all have one on something. Not saying that you are wrong, but before you accept this 'paint guys' word as gospel you may want to do some research and come to your own conclusion. It is true that some wax may yellow over time, that is why you should strip the wax and get some fresh on there. However, I find it hard to believe that it somehow works its way through the clear coat w/o damaging it and rest there between the paint and clear coat. If that was the case, why wouldn't it work its way through the paint? Also, if it were chemically strong enough to work its way through the clearcoat, how would it not completely destroy the clear coat entirely.

I don't believe that this is the case, but I will do some checking around. I've never heard this before, even from the people who have classic cars at Crusin' the Coast. I think if anyone would know for sure it would be one of those ****-retentive classic car owners. Them and RockPick.

We are all entitled to our opinions.

Old 02-09-2007, 11:03 PM
Problem is people say they have had it get in between their paint and Clearcoat when the carnauba melts in the hot sun.

if the clearcoat is pourous enough to allow the carnuba to pass through, then you have a lot bigger problems than worrying about the potential yellowing of your finish ..

think about it .. this one does not pass the litmus test ..

Old 02-09-2007, 11:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gipraw
if the clearcoat is pourous enough to allow the carnuba to pass through, then you have a lot bigger problems than worrying about the potential yellowing of your finish ..

think about it .. this one does not pass the litmus test ..
I agree... the clearcoat will not absorb the wax, unless the painter is really bad and is telling you that so you dont mess up his cheap paint job that he charged a million for

Quick Reply: Glare??