Need help badly, overspray?/spraypaint? removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 12:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help badly, overspray?/spraypaint? removal

Earlier today I washed my truck and when I was drying it off I noticed a bunch of gray dots all over the lower back left part of my truck, where the chrome bumper, plastic step pad, and tailgate are. It looks like someone took a can of gray spray paint to it, but that would be weird and who would do that? But the only thing i can think of is that there's been a lot of construction going on around my neighborhood and the office places that overspray might've gotten onto it.
It looks like a bunch of gray dots more concentrated on the lower part of the chrome bumper and then misting across the plastic and tailgate and they're not just tiny specs either. They're all over the chrome bumper, you can feel the texture and it feels like sh*t, not literally but it's really bad, and it's misted all over the plastic step pad and a little on the brake light and tailgate. I've tried using medallion premium paint cleaner (first time that's let me down), clay, and body solvent, neither worked and showed no improvement. It looks really bad too. I'm stuck now, the only thing I can thing of would be to wet sand and buff it out, and replace the plastic step pad. But I'm doubtful that that'd work. Maybe repainting and replacing it all is the only solution which I'd like to avoid if it's fixable. Any ideas as to what I should do?

Thanks.

Old 03-05-2007, 07:40 AM
Claybar. Should remove most, if not all, paint overpray. It did for me...

Old 03-05-2007, 08:26 AM
It could be concrete. I drove through a wet spot running across the road next to a construction site once, and it turned out to be water from the concrete mixer trucks washing out their tanks and chutes. I never was able to get the spots off the paint - I ended up getting the quarter panels repainted. This was on a dark maroon Mustang, so it showed pretty bad. Hope this isn't the case with you.

Old 03-05-2007, 09:47 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Depends on what you've got there... my first attack would be clay.

Old 03-05-2007, 01:45 PM
I've tried clay and it did nothing. Sh*t it probably is concrete.

Old 03-05-2007, 02:45 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Did the clay get *any* of it?

Old 03-05-2007, 03:43 PM
While looking at the paint and chrome and going at it for over 5 minutes on a very small section on each, I saw no improvment, however, the clay was picking up a little bit of something.
Also, today I was looking over the truck and noticed there was a sprinkle* of the same crap on the center of the hood, not really noticable but it feels the same and looks the same too. I haven't tried to clay that section yet but I'm sure that'll come off.

Last edited by F-150 AZ; 03-05-2007 at 03:46 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 03-14-2007, 09:50 PM
So is color sanding and buffing the only way? Or would that even work?

Old 03-14-2007, 10:15 PM
for the chrome bumper use steel wool and for the plastic and body make a paste out of baking soda and water and use it just as a rubbing compound. thats wat i did when i got white over spray on my buddy's green suburban

Quick Reply: Need help badly, overspray?/spraypaint? removal