Ideas on sealant

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 10:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ideas on sealant

I have never used sealant on my truck or any vehicle. Only NXT and other Meguiars waxes. Can someone put their $.02 in here and recommend some top sealants and where they can be bought?

Old 03-07-2007, 12:00 AM
NXT is a sealant I believe as it contains synthetic polymers instead of wax. I also like Meguiars M21 Synthetic Sealant. You can get it from autodetailingsolutions.com. I am sure RockPick will be able to give you a far better answer though.

Old 03-07-2007, 01:13 AM
I found this review in favor of Wolfgang

Wolfgang is a new sealant that just came out in 2004. There is a really high expectation of quality when you are introducing a product like this. There are so many sealants in competition that a new one has to be really something special to stand a chance.

The first time I used this stuff I couldn’t believe my eyes. I have never seen a product transform a car like this one does. I am sure the ‘holy crap!’ reaction that I had is something that doesn’t translate into pictures, but it really was impressive. Immediately the car was showing reflected images from across the street. The tail lights were reflecting in the bumper just like a mirror. The clarity of the reflections and the depth and wetness is just really impressive.

Coming in second was Klasse Sealant Glaze where durability counts more.

The downside, if you can call it that, of Klasse Sealant Glaze is really one of the more sterile sealants. The appearance that it produces is highly glossy and shiny, but rarely wet or very deep.

>That's in the reviewers words, not mine.<

Old 03-07-2007, 06:35 AM
I really like the Wolfgang sealant!!!

I have some pics in my gallery of my wife's black escape and my white truck.

Nebraska

Old 03-07-2007, 09:51 AM
Where do you buy that Wolfgang sealant? I've never seen it before.

Old 03-07-2007, 02:07 PM
Wolfgang...... I'm gettin some of this stuff myself.

http://www.autogeek.net/wg5500.html

Old 03-07-2007, 02:27 PM
Originally Posted by cskrmetti
I have never used sealant on my truck or any vehicle. Only NXT and other Meguiars waxes. Can someone put their $.02 in here and recommend some top sealants and where they can be bought?
No matter which sealant product you use, you’ll get the best results if it’s applied to a properly prepped surface, which means it should be clean, free of bonded contaminants and polished smooth. Sealants are usually very easy to work with and they can be topped with a carnauba wax if desired. If you apply more than one application of a sealant in hopes of layering it, make sure to wait the manufactures specified time before applying another application. Polymer sealants will typically need 12+ hours between applications so that one polymer chain can bond to another (cross link), but this is highly dependant on the product, environment (temperature & humidity), application, etc.

If you like Meguiar's products, then their #21 is an excellent choice. It can stain trim if you let it dry on the trim, but it's a top notch product that's up their with the best in terms of durability and beauty. It can often be purchased from local Paint Body and Equipment shops, which you can easily find in your local phone book. Here's a link on it directly from Meguiar's, but you can find this product discounted from you local PBE or through places such as autodetailingsolutions.com
http://www.meguiars.com/?pro-liquid-...thetic-Sealant

Another top notch (often overlooked) sealant that's locally available is Duragloss TPP (Total Performance Polish) #105. This product does not stain trim and it's one of the better sealants I've used at any price point. You can get this product from any CarQuest dealer. If your local CarQuest store does not stock it, they can definitely transfer some in from one of their warehouses at no additional cost to you. This sealant does not stain trim. Its durability and beauty is top notch and it’s very inexpensive. You can use it as is or precede it with their PBA (Pre-Bonding Agent) for even greater durability. For long term care, wash with their car wash concentrate every couple weeks and wipe down the finish with their Fast Clean & Shine quick detailer after you’ve washed + dried. Apply their Aquawax product every 6 weeks after wash + dry + FCS and you should have a finish that’s protected for well over 6 months to a year that looks stunning.
http://www.duragloss.com
http://www.carquest.com/find.html

Jeff's Werkstatt Acrylic Jett is yet another top of the line sealant that offers terrific durability and incredible beauty. It's a wonderful product and definitely is one of the best I’ve ever tried so far. Here's a link...
http://www.jeffswerkstatt.com

Zaino products has a very loyal following and for good reason. They offer top notch products and their sealants are among the best there is.

Klasse is also a very popular sealant and another good choice.

Chemical Guys offers some very nice products and top notch sealants as well. They do a lot of private labeling for other companies. In other words, they make products for ‘many’ other companies who in turn sell them under their own brand names.
http://www.chemicalguys.com

Finish Kare is another company with top notch products and sealants.
http://www.fk1usa.com

Auto Glym is yet another company offering top notch products & sealants.

Menzerna is known for their world class polish & sealant products (i.e. Blackfire, etc) and I feel their products are among the best there is.

Poorboys EX-P pure sealant is yet another wonderful top notch product from a company offering many great products.
http://www.poorboysworld.com

PBMA offers some wonderful sealants of their own (Pinnacle, Wolfgang & Detailers Pride brands) in addition to many of the brands discussed above through their stores Autogeek.net, Pinnaclewax.com & Wolfgangcarcare.com.

These are just some of the products that I’ve used which I feel are top notch sealants and I don’t think you’ll go wrong with any of them. Take your pick

Trending Topics

Old 03-08-2007, 02:28 AM
Thanks qadsan, that is wonderful info as always.

But you know what? That Wolfgang picture up there is pretty dog gone impressive. I figure if I can count the leaves in the reflection on the hood of that car in a picture taken 20 feet away? This is the stuff for me.

I did get some of the PS100. $15.00, less than half the price of the PS21. Good call qadsan.

How do you think the PS100 would work/apply over the Wolfgang sealant qadsan?

I bet if a fly would land on the hood, he'd brake his ****.

Old 03-08-2007, 03:27 PM
Originally Posted by rustyzipper
...How do you think the PS100 would work/apply over the Wolfgang sealant qadsan?...
It would work nicely over it. Any of the products mentioned above will get you those same kinds of reflections on a properly prepped surface.

Old 03-09-2007, 01:43 AM
>>>It would work nicely over it. Any of the products mentioned above will get you those same kinds of reflections on a properly prepped surface.<<<

OK.....So I'm going to 1. Wash using two buckets. 2. Clay. 3. Paint cleaner.
4. Polish 5. Paint sealant 6. Wax.

Now, how many coats of sealant and wax? My truck is outside 24/7, underneath a maple tree. Birds and sap. I'm two blocks from the rail-line and down wind = due west of a parts foundry.

Try and remember that when I post a picture of my truck, after detailing.

Old 03-09-2007, 02:02 AM
I'd follow the recommendations from the product manufacturer you're using incase there's specific requirements for their product. But in general, I prefer to apply 2 coats of sealant (to assure thorough coverage) 12+ hours apart. Polymer sealants need time to cross-link and that time can vary based on the product, outside temperature, humidity, etc. One coat of wax is fine, but two coats won't hurt it

The P21S / S100 is definitely a nice wax, but if you're ever wanting more durability, then check out Collinite 845 (liquid) insulator wax or Collinite 885 (paste) Fleetwax. Compared to 885, the liquid 845 has the edge for better looks while 885 has unsurpassed durability. Both are extremely durable products and are probably the most durable waxes on the market in my opinion.

Old 03-09-2007, 09:42 AM
I am a huge fan of the 845 .. especially on light metallics..

Old 03-10-2007, 01:20 AM
Okie dokie qasdan....Thank you for the tip concerning Collinite. Rave review on Auto Geek--tuff stuff--since 1936.

Old 03-13-2007, 10:05 PM
Can anyone here comment on Meguiars #21 Synthetic Sealant?

Old 03-13-2007, 10:11 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cskrmetti
Can anyone here comment on Meguiars #21 Synthetic Sealant?
Yep. What do you want to know?

From an 'opinion' standpoint -- I was an early 'beta tester' on this particular product for Meg's. While I think it's a very easy on and very easy off product, it really didn't blow me away. Longevity -- it outlasted NXT in a side-by-side on my hood but, not by a long shot.... just a few weeks with normal washing cycles and such.

The look was comprable to NXT... kind of suran-wrapped looking (like most synthetics).

I like it but, I haven't bought any... how's that?

RP

Quick Reply: Ideas on sealant