Stock Chrome Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 01:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, the wheels Siverfish has are the ones I am talking about. Unless Ford made two wheels that look exactly the same, they are chrome plastic covers... Have him pop off the center cap, and you will see. I think Ford called them chrome CLAD wheels.

Old 03-16-2007, 06:13 AM
Originally Posted by Xterrable
Yes, the wheels Siverfish has are the ones I am talking about. Unless Ford made two wheels that look exactly the same, they are chrome plastic covers... Have him pop off the center cap, and you will see. I think Ford called them chrome CLAD wheels.
The center cap is plastic on the wheel I showed above. I know that the rim itself is not clear coated. I polish (mother's chrome polish) the plastic piece just like the rim and have no scratches.

Old 03-16-2007, 03:58 PM
RIGHT.. The Center Cap that cover the lugs is chrome on plastic.

So are the wheels. The actual 17" wheel that you have pictured is a steel 17" wheel, with a chrome hub cap covering it. Ford calls them Chrome Clad wheels.

If you look very very close at the lip where the wheel weight is, you will see it is actually silver, not chrome. Have you rotated your wheels yourself? Pop off the center cap and see if you have any black or silver showing.

I found this pic on ebay. I know the quality sucks, but look around the lugs. See that black area. That is the steel wheel. They vacuum press the chrome over the steel wheel.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/17-x7...93632517QQrdZ1

Unless, they made 2 model wheels that look exactly the same.

Old 03-16-2007, 04:01 PM
Here is another post on here about the wheels not being real chrome..

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...ht=chrome+clad

Old 03-16-2007, 07:22 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It's called plating... it's not indicative that the wheels aren't chrome -- it's indicative that the areas that you're describing weren't chromed....

I do agree with you that the plastic center cap is -- well, plastic.

Old 03-16-2007, 07:23 PM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by Silverfish
I know that the rim itself is not clear coated. I polish (mother's chrome polish) the plastic piece just like the rim and have no scratches.
When you polish with Mother's, are you noting that your applicator is turning black? I am nearly certain that *all* FoMoCo wheels (minus the wheels on the XL) are cleared... I may be wrong though.

RP

Old 03-16-2007, 07:36 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
SOS pads works wonders on rims and tires used them for years with no problems learned the trick from my dad who done it since I was a kid.

Old 03-16-2007, 09:48 PM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by hmustang
SOS pads works wonders on rims and tires used them for years with no problems learned the trick from my dad who done it since I was a kid.
I'm not one to criticize -- not my style -- but, I'd be *VERY* careful with a SOS pad on a COATED rim.

The rims that your father worked on years ago were NOT clear coated. Yours are.

Look at it this way -- you wouldn't take a SOS pad to your hood - which is also clear coated, would you?

Old 03-16-2007, 10:07 PM
Originally Posted by RockPick
When you polish with Mother's, are you noting that your applicator is turning black? I am nearly certain that *all* FoMoCo wheels (minus the wheels on the XL) are cleared... I may be wrong though.

RP
I also posted a while back that I use Mother's on mine and you ask me the same thing. I don't think I answered you. They are like you said Chrome clad wheels and no the the rag doesn't turn black but the Mother's chrome polish does make them shine with ease.

Old 03-17-2007, 08:30 AM
Originally Posted by RockPick

RP

My rag turns black when I use Mother's Chrome Polish on my stock wheels.

Old 03-17-2007, 09:35 AM
Try S100 Polishing soap. The best and easiest to use stuff ever. The best part is you can just rinse it off. Available at any Harley dealership.

Old 03-17-2007, 12:38 PM
I agree. All of S100 products are awsome... I love their polish and cleaners... I wish they sold the stuff in bigger quanities..

Old 03-17-2007, 12:45 PM
-- And Silverfish. You must have real 100% chroned wheels. Either Ford did make SOME real, or it is because of where you live. Up here in the North, the weather and road salt pits chrome. I know for sure I have chrome tin or aluminum because when I was rotating them, the lug wrench slipped and dented my spoke face. A solid wheel would nick or scratch, but not dent.

Old 03-17-2007, 12:53 PM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by Silverfish
My rag turns black when I use Mother's Chrome Polish on my stock wheels.

*shrugs* I've been wrong before. Sorry.

Old 03-21-2007, 10:14 PM
i just use windex and a magic eraser.. since i get the magic erasers free from work anyway why not!?!?

Quick Reply: Stock Chrome Wheels