Rain-X

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 11:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First off-- I can't believe that it's basically water and alcohol...
Secodly-- RP, do you have the MSDS on CD or do have a good link to a lot of MSDS online???

Thirdly (and lastly)-- I only use the Fog wipes b/c they were given to me a while back from a guy who thought it would discolor his windows (he's a cook). They don't really bead up water vapor...in fact, they make it so that I only have to run the defrost at about 1 notch lower when it's raining to prevent fogging... Basically, they don't do all that much, but I'm getting more than what I paid for...

BTW--I'm confused...How does alcohol degrade plastic??? It's packged in plastic (I must be missing something...) Thanks.

Old 03-14-2007, 09:46 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It's packaged in HDPE -- Spesshull Plastick. The headlights are more of an acrylic plastic.

Keep in mind, plastics aren't all the same... I wish I could get you in touch with the guy who is over manufacturing plastics for GE Consumer & Industrial. I've talked with him a few times (air permitting issues) and the guy is BRILLIANT when it comes to talking about different types of plastics and their make up.

MSDS site - http://hazard.com/msds/

Old 03-14-2007, 12:43 PM
Are the headlight lenses glass or plastic. I would imagine that the "fog lights" have plastic lenses.

Isn't there some type of wax in the Rain-X that allows the water to bead up---is the lidquid just a carrier for the wax---and then it evaporates?

Tim C.

Old 03-14-2007, 07:36 PM
I just use Zaino Z5 or Z2 pro on everything. Headlights , windows, taillights
I just keep it away from the black plastic trim. I used to use rain-x and it worked great but i think the Zaino lasts longer

Old 03-14-2007, 07:49 PM
I use this stuff called Aquapel, it is supposed to last longer. I used to use this stuff made by STP, can't remember the name of it, but it would last up to 6 months and was awesome. Like all good products I seem to get attached to, they quit making it. This Aquapel stuff looks to be very similar to the STP stuff. Makes me wonder whether they bought the patent from them or something. I think some of the oil change places offer the Aquapel as part of their service too. Not that I trust the oil change places to change my oil anymore.

Old 03-14-2007, 08:05 PM
I also swear by Rain-x...have used it for years. The only downsides are that you have to reapply it about once a month and it tends to leave hazy swirl marks on your windshield if you don't buff it out really good.

Old 03-14-2007, 08:44 PM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by referee54
Are the headlight lenses glass or plastic. I would imagine that the "fog lights" have plastic lenses.

Isn't there some type of wax in the Rain-X that allows the water to bead up---is the lidquid just a carrier for the wax---and then it evaporates?

Tim C.
Both headlight and foglight lenses are plastic... on all models of the F-series.

As far as what Rain-X really is -- it's a trade secret. It is -- based on MSDS information that is required by law to be stated -- at least 90% Ethyl Alcohol (Ethanol).

I assume that the ethanol *is* a carrier for a 'trade secret' ingredient but, the fact that it's there is my point.

Yes -- it will evaporate off -- quite quickly actually considering that the CH3CH2OH has an evaporation rate of 3.8 (water = 1). So, it'll evap almost 4 times as fast as water.

Old 03-14-2007, 08:50 PM
Originally Posted by RockPick
It's packaged in HDPE -- Spesshull Plastick. The headlights are more of an acrylic plastic.

Keep in mind, plastics aren't all the same... I wish I could get you in touch with the guy who is over manufacturing plastics for GE Consumer & Industrial. I've talked with him a few times (air permitting issues) and the guy is BRILLIANT when it comes to talking about different types of plastics and their make up.

MSDS site - http://hazard.com/msds/

Gotcha... I knew all plastics weren't the same, but I guess I underestimated the property variants... I haven't gotten to the Polymer Chemistry chapter in my advanced chem book yet...

Thanks for the MSDS site, BTW. It'll come in handy real soon...I've got to inspect the chemical storage at the Fire station Friday... Guess I'll need to keep a laptop handy...

Old 03-14-2007, 08:51 PM
Moderator &

Have fun! Let me know if you need any 'environmental' help! That happens to be what I do with my 'real' job.

Old 03-14-2007, 09:18 PM
Hey, RP!

Thanks, RP---before I read this, I did a "by-the-way" tap on the headlights and did discover that they are plastic. No more Rain-X for them.

Thanks again,

Tim C.

Quick Reply: Rain-X