#9 - greasy haze

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 01:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
#9 - greasy haze

Did a quick detail on the truck today. Clayed, #9, NXT, #26. On both the tailgate and more so on the hood, the #9 left a faint, greasy haze that couldn't be wiped away. Matter of fact the haze remained even after the NXT, it finally cleared after the #26. It was 70 degrees here today so drying shouldn't have been an issue. Almost like trying to wipe off #7 when it's too cold or humiditiy is high. What happened?? :o

Old 03-17-2007, 03:04 AM
Now this is strictly according to what I have read. Getting results that produce a hazy finish Megs web-site recommends using Speed Glaze for re-polishing.

Old 03-18-2007, 11:19 AM
O.K. so now I know what to use if this happens again. Is this a common occurance with #9 ? I use it on my bike (by hand) with splendid results. Just wondering what caused it. Is there a lot of polishing oils in this product?? Thanks.

Old 03-18-2007, 01:17 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
#9 is a very oily product and, as such, you will occasionally get this end result. Drier products (relatively speaking from a polishing oils standpoint) will be less likely to yield this look -- I hesitate to call it a 'problem' as it's kind of in the mix and in the design for use.

In short, it'll be hit and miss on when you'll see this happen and when you won't. I know of the characteristics that you've noted -- I've seen them myself oodles of times -- but, I've always found that my LSP would 'erase' them to a certain degree and yield a top notch look.

#9 continues to be a handy product in my repertoire of products however; I do tend to go with the #80 or #81 more often than #9 simply because of the REMOVAL versus CONCEALMENT of paint problems paradigm.

Old 03-18-2007, 02:22 PM
Originally Posted by RockPick
#9 continues to be a handy product in my repertoire of products however; I do tend to go with the #80 or #81 more often than #9 simply because of the REMOVAL versus CONCEALMENT of paint problems paradigm.
I'd agree here. The only exception to this is when you're working on a vehicle with a severely diminished clearcoat or one that is unknown (or if you're in a time crunch...)

I tend to like #9 on my hood for the reasoning that I test out everything on my hood... and have used way too many abrasives there. Because of this, I need to be careful, and rather than abrasively removing each mark as it appears, I like to cover them up until I can justify doing the entire hood...

But this is all in my opinion. Feel free to form your own...

Old 03-18-2007, 03:46 PM
Suspended
Yep, go with the #80. RP talked me into it, I'm glad I listened. I actually need to find something with a little more cut. .

Old 03-18-2007, 03:52 PM
Thanks fella's, exactly what I needed to know. I really like the #9 on my motorcycles where it's hand applied or machine applied on well maintained finishes. Like to stay away from abrasives unless they are truely needed. #9 seems to fill that niche pretty well. Thanks again.

Last edited by BlueOvalBob; 03-18-2007 at 03:54 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 03-18-2007, 05:55 PM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by f-150sport03
I tend to like #9 on my hood for the reasoning that I test out everything on my hood... and have used way too many abrasives there. Because of this, I need to be careful, and rather than abrasively removing each mark as it appears, I like to cover them up until I can justify doing the entire hood...
You've gone entirely too far entirely too often with entirely too many products if you're worried along these lines...

Old 03-18-2007, 09:36 PM
Well... I've posted almost everything I've done...save for one or two apps of Color X and Step 1... But mostly I'm worried about the previous owner of the beast... and I'm overly cautious (as I'm sure you are) about my paint. I'm pretty sure it's unnessesary worries, but it's better safe than sorry...and definately a great excuse to use/buy some new stuff for the truck...

But thanks for the tip. Just out of curiosity, how much of my clear do you think was removed in my Turtle Wax Tragedy (the one with the polishing compound and the wool bonnet...that left swirling from hell...)???

Old 03-19-2007, 11:32 PM
Moderator &

Impossible to tell... absolutely impossible -- that is, without a meter.

You're fine... really. There's no need to get all freaked out.

If you had gone after it with 1000 grit... well, then I'd be preaching a little different Psalm.

RP

Quick Reply: #9 - greasy haze