How to clean pen marks on leather seats?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 12:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to clean pen marks on leather seats?

My daughter has gotten ink pen marks on the passenger seat back, and im wondering what else to try!... I have the meguiars 2-part cleaner and conditioner, so i tried the cleaner and it did nothing, and i also tried some lexol leather cleaner, again nothing...Its my wifes honda accord tan leather seat...Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

Old 03-17-2007, 12:28 PM
Have you tried simple green? One of the safest chemicals I know, I use it one my dash, floor mats, tires and rims.

Old 03-17-2007, 04:27 PM
Suspended
Alcohol but test in an area not seen to make sure it won't effect the color, etc.

Old 03-17-2007, 05:42 PM
hairspray will do the trick too. test it in a non conspicuous area first. Follow up with some leather protectant and you'll be good to go.

Old 03-17-2007, 06:24 PM
Be careful with SG--it says on the bottle not to let sit on stitching... It'll erode it...

Other than that, I'd try the rubbing alcohol (or the regular alcohol...it'll make it look fine for a few hours...)

Old 03-17-2007, 09:16 PM
Citrol is my fix all for permanent marker, ballpoint pen, etc.

SL

Old 03-17-2007, 10:36 PM
Pen marks on leather can be cleaned off with a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. Before you go hog wild with it, definitely do a test spot on an area that doesn't matter. Also, wipe lightly and don't scrub too hard. Not all leather seats are the same and what works on one vehicle's leather may cause damage to another, so definitely test it out first on an inconspicuous area before using it elsewhere. The Mr. Clean Magic Eraser is one of my goto tools for ink and other stubborn marks on leather and other materials, but use it with caution.

Old 03-18-2007, 08:08 AM
Im going to start out with the rubbing alcohol, as thats the only one of all the solutions mentioned that i have...and go from there...it seems to be a harder thicker leather not as soft as as my lariat leather.

If the rubbing alcohol doesnt work, im going to buy the magic eraser and the citrol(where can i get the citrol from snappy?) ill stay away from the simple green due to the fact that a lot of the pen marking was next to the seams.

And as for the hair spray i could try that to, just out of curiosity whats in there that would do the trick?...and would you just coat it on there real quick and rub or pour it in a bowl etc...?

Old 03-18-2007, 04:39 PM
Ok, tried the rubbing alcohol....did nothing....just trying to figure out where to get citrol...

Old 03-21-2007, 12:27 PM
LRG
Originally Posted by BigCountry06
And as for the hair spray i could try that to, just out of curiosity whats in there that would do the trick?...and would you just coat it on there real quick and rub or pour it in a bowl etc...?
They're talking about using aerosol hairspray, most out there have a water/alcohol base so it's that alcohol that does the work. Most ink is solvent based so I think you'd have some luck with using a solvent.

Rubbing alcohol is so watered down that it doesn't work most of the time based on my experience. If you want to use a solvent I'd recommend getting some denatured alcohol from the hardware store, look in the paint section. But, as has been previously stated, TEST FIRST!! And test it like you'd use it, don't just dab a little on under the seat, then go to town scrubbing on the seat, that's a lot different than that little dab you tried. Make sure to let it fully dry to make sure it doesn't screw up the sheen of the leather. Good luck!

Quick Reply: How to clean pen marks on leather seats?