Anyone ever try this vinyl/rubber treatment? - Black Again

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 08:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It does have silicone in it, but not heavy like most of the other products. I think the trick is to wipe it dry and don't put it on too heavy.

Old 04-28-2007, 09:07 AM
Watch the 303 on your clear plastic like your gauge cover. It tends to turn them cloudy over time. Also 303 makes a fabric protectant that is the Bees knees.
Mist the 303 over your engine when it is clean and warm and shut the hood. The next day you will not believe how good it looks.
Great for the tires but do not get it on the brakes if you expect to stop at the end of the driveway.

Old 04-28-2007, 09:23 AM
Originally Posted by RockPick
I think you meant to say 'solvent based' rather than 'silicone based'?
I really don't know. (well, now I do)

If it doesn't run down the side of my truck after it gets rained on, I will be very happy.

Old 04-28-2007, 11:42 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There are silicone-free products out there but, most dressings *will* contain silicones.

The only reason that you wouldn't want silicones in your product would be if you had the need for paint adhesion -- hence, a body shop. All products brought into a body shop environment will be silicone-free. This is the reason that you'll note that some products will say 'Body Shop Safe'.

Old 04-29-2007, 12:32 PM
I've seen 303 run. It's occurred on my mirrors and rail caps. This could be due to using too much or moisture in the air. My trucks sit outside and gets dew covered most every day I apply it, let it set in then come back in a little bit with a dry cloth and work it in some more. I had an Extang soft cover on my truck, which is now on the 00 (it almost fits just right). When using it on there I noticed some blotching. Again apply it, let it sit in the sun and then go back over it again. With all that said I still think it's a great product and it's a toss up between that and #40, although 40 has a horrid smell, avoid getting that stuff on your hands.

Old 04-30-2007, 12:29 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
#40 does stink, doesn't it? Ode' de Vomit as I like to call it.

The 303 ran on those particular areas as they are CONSIDERABLY less porus than the rubber seals and such. The key to keeping it from running on that type of surface (hard plastic) is to apply, allow it to dwell for a while (hour or two) and then come back over it with a VERY light swipe of a microfiber. You'll still reap the bennies of having it on there (sun protection, shine, etc) but, you're removing the excess product and thus, minimizing the chance for running.

Just a hint... maybe you did it this way and it still ran but, for me, I've found that this method works pretty well with nearly no run (typically using Vinylex).

-RP-

Old 04-30-2007, 08:48 PM
Here's the outcome of Forever Black vs Black Again after 24hrs.

This is a 12 yr old lowered car that gets pummeled with crap on the front end, you'd cringe at the rock chips. The bottom section shown was gray/white in spots. I washed and scrubbed the area shown, not the mesh in back which you can't see unless you're laying down. The Forever Black comes in a container with a shoe polish like spongy tip. At first it looked really good, then it dried. The Black Again is like a gooey slippy liquid, kind of like a tire shine product. Application is simple and it spreads real well. Let dry and come back and smooth it out. I went ahead and did all the bottom trim, we'll see how it holds up.

Quick Reply: Anyone ever try this vinyl/rubber treatment? - Black Again