Full Detail - Silver 2000 Mustang LS - 56k Beware

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 12:44 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rustyzipper
By the way...I see what you mean about your bucket rolling down hill now on casters. We'd have a blast on that here in the winter.

No doubt. HA! Everything is FLAT FLAT FLAT up there. Gotta love those glaciers.

Old 04-30-2007, 01:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RockPick
So, after getting a fairly decent grip on what was sitting in front of me, I assembled my chemical array:

The car looks new now.

I'm not much of a detailing fanatic but i just bought a selection of meguiar's product to clean my motorcycle. i wash it after every ride.

I have the shampoo, NTX paste wax, Quick detailer, plastX and bug and tar remover and a bunch of micro fiber cloths. these are helping to keep the bike looking clean and new. i do need a metal polish for the aluminum on the bike but most of it is coated and i don't want to cause more problems.

Maybe I'll even use some products on the truck........

..... i doubt it though.

Old 04-30-2007, 01:20 AM
Not a problem with the well deserved kudos. I hear ya on the shaking part too. I don't think I could detail for a living. Not after that Duragloss truck experience. I'll be stiff and sore for awhile. Damn trucks ya have to get on a ladder. Plus I have that tonnue cover to contend with--ladder. sheesh.

That's OK pertaining to the billing schedule. Let me ask a more politically correct question. Does a detail shop owner operator charge by the hour or by the job, using a list of choices? I'm a little confused considering the materials. I know time is money, but I'm far from that end.

Old 04-30-2007, 01:22 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 135 Likes on 112 Posts
thanks for the general price break down RP. Ill probably tell him i want atleast XX and then if you are 100% satisfied then give me a "tip" ontop of that. And as of right now your pricing would be more then i would expect even after a tip... But maybe if i get into this more, and start buying more expensive products, tools (PC) etc... then i might could see justifying asking more.

On his truck i would do:
Deep wash
Quick Clay
Wash again
Dry
Wax
Polish

But yeah i dunno like i said i know he will be happy with the results, b.c i know i am with my work on my silver. And hes got a Navy Blue so the results will be more dramatic

Old 04-30-2007, 01:38 AM
what type of towels did you use?

Old 04-30-2007, 01:58 AM
I have a question RP, how do you get out really fine scratches? I just got my truck back from paint, gotta love little brothers. Anyways, he started with 2000 grit, used rubbing compound on the wool pad, then foam galze on the the foam pad, then a good strong hand buff with show galze, followed by NXT paste. It looks great in the shade, but in the sun the truck is covered with these superfine swirl marks, they're so fine looking it's almost like talcom powder caused them, sorry I can't post any pics my digital camera can't pick them up. It's been two weeks since it's last wash, and was goning to try and do it tues. any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

BTW you are a GOD!!!

I cannot believe you got that mustang that good, and for only $150. A detail that intense, and with results that good I would've paid at least $200. You are an asset to this website, i hope you never leave, I think I may have to get one of those full blown Meguiars sets, I didn't really believe how well the claybar works till I saw it in person on my friends 94 black mustang. Which one do you I should get for my beige truck?

Old 04-30-2007, 01:58 AM
wanna do a 150

Old 04-30-2007, 02:18 AM
Excellent job as always RP. Now for my question.
What's the deal with the body solvent after the clay?
Is this just instead of washing again?

Old 04-30-2007, 09:26 AM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by lees99f150
i do need a metal polish for the aluminum on...
Thanks for the kudos...

A hint on metal polish... give the Meguiar's NXT Metal Polysh (yes, that's how it's spelled) a whirl. I'd tried it before and really wasn't blown away but, the more I've tinkered with it, the more I like it.

It's a distant second to Heavy Metal Polish (www.heavymetalpolish.com) but, it's not too darn bad for the price.

Old 04-30-2007, 09:28 AM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by Patman03SprCrw
thanks for the general price break down RP. Ill probably tell him i want atleast XX and then if you are 100% satisfied then give me a "tip" ontop of that. And as of right now your pricing would be more then i would expect even after a tip... But maybe if i get into this more, and start buying more expensive products, tools (PC) etc... then i might could see justifying asking more.
Your call on that but, I wouldn't mention the word 'tip'. *shrugs* I do think that the unknown nature of the vehicle is justification for putting in a 'not to exceed' number. Write it down too... agree on it. I know he's your buddy but, little goofy things like that will cover your rear in the long run.

Old 04-30-2007, 09:30 AM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by rustyzipper
Does a detail shop owner operator charge by the hour or by the job, using a list of choices? I'm a little confused considering the materials. I know time is money, but I'm far from that end.
It varies.

Many charge by the vehicle (based on size (small car, car, truck, SUV, Van, etc). Some charge a shop hourly rate... at least that's what I see from collegues that I communicate with regularly.

I picked up the 'not to exceed' thought from a buddy over on MOL that I email with frequently. So far, it's worked out well as a payment arrangement for some of those vehicles that there are some unknowns. The couple of vehicles where I've utilized that approach turned out very well and neither hit the NTE number... that, of course, keeps the owner happy.

-RP-

Old 04-30-2007, 09:36 AM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by flareside4life
I have a question RP, how do you get out really fine scratches?
Tough call sight unseen.

Before I say this, let me note that I'm not knocking your brother... not in the least but, it sounds like he may not have used the correct products/pads/or techniques.

Again, unseen, a product like #80 on a FINISHING pad might cut it out. It sounds like it'll only need a VERY light cut to knock it down. What you're probably seeing is most likely a result of the wool pad. Wool is a great cutting pad -- the most aggressive in fact -- but, it will require some skill to remove the problems that wool induces.

I cannot believe you got that mustang that good, and for only $150. A detail that intense, and with results that good I would've paid at least $200. You are an asset to this website, i hope you never leave, I think I may have to get one of those full blown Meguiars sets, I didn't really believe how well the claybar works till I saw it in person on my friends 94 black mustang. Which one do you I should get for my beige truck?
Ehh, I never said I charged $150. I haven't tipped my cards as to what I charged. Let's say this... they were happy with the results and I was satisfied with the fee. Win/Win.

As for the kits, check with www.autodetailingsolutions.com . I'd go with kit #2 and substitue the #4 for #80 (Rick will do this for you - tell him RP sent you). Also, pick up an extra polishing and finishing pad. You should be fairly well set with that kit...

Pile in a few NICE microfiber towels (no el-cheapos!) and you'll have a nice array of products. Be aware, detailing is an addiction -- you'll end up spending more $! LOL!

-RP-

Old 04-30-2007, 09:37 AM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by ridge
wanna do a 150
Email me. rockpick AT insightbb.com

I'm covered for the next couple of weekends but, I can find a slot! Let me know!

-RP-

Old 04-30-2007, 09:40 AM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by EnglishAdam
Excellent job as always RP. Now for my question.
What's the deal with the body solvent after the clay?
Is this just instead of washing again?
Bass-ackwards, isn't it? The body solvent is more of a tar/bug remover product...

I tried to snare the tar with the clay at the end (the bar was at the end of it's life after working on this vehicle -- it started as a NEW bar). The tar was hard and speckled... I thought I could get it with the clay.

Turns out, I couldn't.

Hence, the solvent following the clay. Should've tried it the other way but, that's hindsight.

Old 04-30-2007, 09:51 AM
Awesome job on that mustang, Rockpick.

Quick Reply: Full Detail - Silver 2000 Mustang LS - 56k Beware