Full Detail - Silver 2000 Mustang LS - 56k Beware

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 09:55 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by runnerboy
what type of towels did you use?

Various...

Some ShakPak towels... some Meg's Supreme Shine MFs... some cheap-o's on the wheels... DF Towels (the nicest towel that I've found) were used for final removal of all LSPs.

Old 04-30-2007, 10:00 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Nice job, Rockpick.
I didn't realize we were in the same line of work.

Of course, I just do windshields and I'm lucky to get a buck before the light turns green.

Old 04-30-2007, 10:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awesome job.

You have recommended the Vynilex to me before for the plastic panels on my wife's Escape so I hit 4 different stores Friday searching for it. Looks like nobody around here carries it. I couldn't find 303 Aerospace either.

Also a no-go on any decent tire dressing that I have seen recommended here as being able to be cut for a matte finish. I don't care for super gloss.

This town was supposedly a major hub for used vehicle wholesalers (still is to an extent) on this end of the state so I figured there would be no shortage of available detail supplies. Boy was I wrong.

Everybody here seems to carry the same great collection of products that you can find at your local Wal Mart.

The one horse town I moved here from had a much better selection.

Old 04-30-2007, 10:15 AM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by quackrstackr
Awesome job.

You have recommended the Vynilex to me before for the plastic panels on my wife's Escape so I hit 4 different stores Friday searching for it. Looks like nobody around here carries it. I couldn't find 303 Aerospace either.
Thanks for the kudos. Much appreciated!

I can't remember where you're located here in the Bluegrass... Lex? Maybe it was W. KY?

Anyway, just about the only store that I know of that actually STOCKS the Lexol products (ie: Vinylex) is Pep Boys. Otherwise, it's a 'order it' product.

Also a no-go on any decent tire dressing that I have seen recommended here as being able to be cut for a matte finish. I don't care for super gloss.
Understood. Lots of folks don't. That said, hunt for a product from Meguiar's called Natural Shine. It's in a red spray bottle. I think it's just what you're looking for... Be sure to wipe off the excess as it will sling a bit. You might find this at Auto Zone or Advanced. Can't remember what they're stocking these days.

Hyper Dressing at 4:1 is a GREAT matte look... just looks like a new tire with little to no gloss. I use this on vehicle where the owner doesn't want that high pop.

Old 04-30-2007, 10:28 AM
Originally Posted by RockPick
Thanks for the kudos. Much appreciated!

I can't remember where you're located here in the Bluegrass... Lex? Maybe it was W. KY?

Anyway, just about the only store that I know of that actually STOCKS the Lexol products (ie: Vinylex) is Pep Boys. Otherwise, it's a 'order it' product.

Understood. Lots of folks don't. That said, hunt for a product from Meguiar's called Natural Shine. It's in a red spray bottle. I think it's just what you're looking for... Be sure to wipe off the excess as it will sling a bit. You might find this at Auto Zone or Advanced. Can't remember what they're stocking these days.

Hyper Dressing at 4:1 is a GREAT matte look... just looks like a new tire with little to no gloss. I use this on vehicle where the owner doesn't want that high pop.
I'm way west over in Murray.

Hot Shine, Insane Shine and Endurance are the Meguiar's tire dressings that everyone here carries. I went to NAPA as well. They have a lot of commercial type products (in industrial sizes) that I haven't seen mentioned here. I really don't need a gallon of anything at a time except soap and I really don't want to buy that much not knowing what I'm getting either.

I guess the next time that I'm in Paducah I need to pull the wife away from the mall long enough to make a shopping trip to Pep Boys to see what they have.

Old 04-30-2007, 11:17 AM
Looks great, RP ..

silver has always been one of my favorite colors.

Nice turn around on the headlights .. really finishes the car off, and I bet the kid can finally see at night.

Old 04-30-2007, 11:25 AM
How much to do my wifes Dodge Caravan in about the same shape? Think of young kids, food, fruit drinks and bicycles that have "touched" the paint. BTW its 11 years old, been garage kept and waxed its whole life, just needs a major shine.

Old 04-30-2007, 11:28 AM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by welfare wagon
How much to do my wifes Dodge Caravan in about the same shape? Think of young kids, food, fruit drinks and bicycles that have "touched" the paint. BTW its 11 years old, been garage kept and waxed its whole life, just needs a major shine.
Uhh... send me an email. This one sounds like a very challenging interior - which I'm not really equipped to handle (no extractor etc).

Exterior - no problem.

Old 04-30-2007, 11:38 AM
Will do, the inside has been covered with husky liners front to rear since day one.

Old 04-30-2007, 03:14 PM
The Headlights --

Remember the 'before'?

Here's the AFTER...

800 & 2000 grit papers were used to remove the majority of the oxidation. My Makita and a wool pad were used to fix the rest... Plast-X was the polish of choice.
Wow awesome work here. Was wondering if I could ask a few questions and get some more details on how you made this transformation on these lights. Is everything done on the outside of the light itself or is there any actual removing the light housing and working somewhat on the inside of the light? Also do you basically take the sand paper and start rubbing away or do you put any type of protectant on the light before sanding? Can doing it by hand get similar results? What type wool pad did you use?

Thanks and I would really like ot try and get the headlights on my wife's car (96 Mustang) to look decent before we sell the car later this year.

Last edited by wxscpo; 04-30-2007 at 03:36 PM.
Old 04-30-2007, 04:41 PM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by wxscpo
Wow awesome work here. Was wondering if I could ask a few questions and get some more details on how you made this transformation on these lights. Is everything done on the outside of the light itself or is there any actual removing the light housing and working somewhat on the inside of the light?
Everything was done on the outside of the light. I did not disassemble the light assembly. Nor did I actually remove the light housing from the vehicle (I had to tape off quite a bit to avoid thrashing the paint with the rotary as it's difficult to move around on a headlight assembly with a 8" wool pad without involving some of the surrounding paint.

Also do you basically take the sand paper and start rubbing away or do you put any type of protectant on the light before sanding? Can doing it by hand get similar results? What type wool pad did you use?
No point in putting on a protectant... it's not going to do anything because you're ripping through the surface with sandpaper. Most all of my wet sanding is done with water and a touch of car shampoo for a little additional lubrication. It's just a method that I've found works best for me.

I really doubt you'll achieve these results by hand. I'm not tooting my horn there, just calling a spade a spade. The rotary is what put me up and over the top on this problem.

Pad = Meg's W4000 Cut & Shine.

Thanks and I would really like ot try and get the headlights on my wife's car (96 Mustang) to look decent before we sell the car later this year.
I'd recommend removing them from the vehicle and working on them. I think you'll achieve an even better result than what I was able to accomplish.

G'luck. Let me know if you have other questions!

-RP-

Old 04-30-2007, 06:30 PM
Email me. rockpick AT insightbb.com

I'm covered for the next couple of weekends but, I can find a slot! Let me know!

-RP-
ill hit you up in a few days when my paycheck gets here and sit some money aside for you.

Old 04-30-2007, 06:59 PM
Be aware, detailing is an addiction -- you'll end up spending more $! LOL!
No kidding! I'm looking to get a G100 from autodetailingsolutions soon, as well as all the D-line samplers Rick offers.

quackrstackr, you might be able to find 303 at pool stores or RV/boat dealerships, they sell it as vinyl protectant.

Nice work on the 'Stang.

Old 05-01-2007, 12:29 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 135 Likes on 112 Posts
Your call on that but, I wouldn't mention the word 'tip'. *shrugs* I do think that the unknown nature of the vehicle is justification for putting in a 'not to exceed' number. Write it down too... agree on it. I know he's your buddy but, little goofy things like that will cover your rear in the long run.
yah ive seen the truck before, and like i said its not in that bad of shape, the vehicle is maybe 6 months old. But he just wants someone that knows more then him take a look at it.... I understand what you are saying about the "tip". i dunno

Old 05-01-2007, 12:41 AM
Suspended
Wow! When you come to Florida, give me a shout!

Quick Reply: Full Detail - Silver 2000 Mustang LS - 56k Beware