What to use to dress weatherstripping?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 04:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to use to dress weatherstripping?

What do you use to dress weatherstripping.

I hate when the weatherstipping looks dull and dried out. What is te best stuff to blacken it up and not have it too greasy to touch?

Thanks!

Old 05-02-2007, 12:18 AM
The only thing I've ever used is Black Magic "Pro Shine Protectant". It is a bit oily, but I've found if you let it set for a few minutes, then wipe it off with just about any cloth, it keeps the shine but doesn't leave as much as a residue.

Old 05-02-2007, 12:32 AM
Thanks, will try it.
Does it last a decent amount of time vs turning dry looking after a rain or a quick wash?

Old 05-02-2007, 01:01 AM
I think it depends on how bad off it was to begin with. Mine is a '04 (don't mind the username - haven't changed it yet), and it looked like the previous owner did a decent job keeping the weather stripping treated. My best results have been with wiping it on fairly heavy, letting it set for an hour or so, then wiping off the excess works the best. If I'm planning on showing it off sometimes I'll go back over with another light applications.

My buddy, on the other hand, has a '89 Mustang, and one rain, or a couple days later, it looks like crap again - regardless of how I do it.

I've seen quite a few other posts on the subject, though, so feel free to read around - mine certainly isn't the only opinion here

Old 05-02-2007, 01:50 AM
I like Meg's #40 Link

No oil, just natural black. I use it on my tires as well (not a big fan of shiny tires) and it keeps them black for longer than any other product I've tried.

Old 05-02-2007, 11:39 AM
Originally Posted by henkyjenky
I like Meg's #40 Link

No oil, just natural black. I use it on my tires as well (not a big fan of shiny tires) and it keeps them black for longer than any other product I've tried.
Do you apply this by hand or by machine? Also is it like a wax in which you apply and remove or do just apply and leave?

Old 05-02-2007, 04:50 PM
By hand, the smaller bottle is a spray bottle. For the tires I spray it on and then work in with a cloth, helps eliminate sling, and for edging and weatherstripping I spray it on the rag and then apply to the surface.

I just leave it on, it dries/gets absorbed pretty quickly.

Trending Topics

Old 05-02-2007, 07:11 PM
I really like Natural shine. Has UV protection and is vary variable in terms of gloss and shine (synonymous, I know). Readily availible, cheap, and it works like a champ. (Also, it conditions and cleans while it makes it shiny== More supple and therefore more effective weatherstripping)

G'luck!!!

Old 05-02-2007, 10:31 PM
I second Meg #40. I use it instead of Armor All type products. I bought the gallon and put some in a spray bottle. It cleans dirt from the door panels, arm rests and vinyl seats. We use it on the black rubber mats on our rental trucks at work, it makes them look new but after using it I spray them with Simple Green because they are a little slick especially with wet shoes.

Dave

Old 05-02-2007, 11:35 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Not a single chirp about 303 Aerospace Protectant? Wow.

Old 05-02-2007, 11:45 PM
Originally Posted by RockPick
Not a single chirp about 303 Aerospace Protectant? Wow.
I like what the product does, but I find it produces too much sling. I do use it on my Line-x bed every 6 months or so and it looks great.

Old 05-02-2007, 11:53 PM
Moderator &

I like what the product does, but I find it produces too much sling. I do use it on my Line-x bed every 6 months or so and it looks great.
Yeah... I'd have to be honest that I don't particularly care for Vinylex, 303 or #40 on tires because of sling.

As for exterior trim/weatherstripping... all three are excellent choices in my opinion.

Old 05-02-2007, 11:57 PM
I should have been more descriptive.

I used 303 by spraying it on a rag first and then applying to the trim (never tried it on tires) and still experienced sling for a couple days.

Old 05-03-2007, 12:19 AM
Moderator &

I should have been more descriptive.

I used 303 by spraying it on a rag first and then applying to the trim (never tried it on tires) and still experienced sling for a couple days.

Really? How could it sling off? Simple air abrasion caused it to come off? You positive it was the 303?

It just doesn't seem like that would happen... at least not simplistically.

I do see how it could 'bleed' with rain or dew but, sling?

Old 05-03-2007, 12:32 AM
I was using the spray gun bottles (vs. the aerosol), maybe I just used a ridiculous amount of product. Definitely was sling (oily droplets), and I did get a lot of bleeding after it rained. I believe Rustyzipper mentioned the same thing happened to him. Though, if it's never happened to you, the most likely scenario is that I had accidentally sprayed the body while I was walking around spraying the rag and I didn't notice it until wind speed made the droplets run and I thought it was sling. Then again, I'm pretty sure it kept coming back for a couple days and I would keep wiping it off.

The stuff just never seemed to dry, maybe that's why it keeps stuff looking good for so long.

Quick Reply: What to use to dress weatherstripping?