RockPick, what's up with this pad?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 02:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RockPick, what's up with this pad?

Thoughts?

Revolutionary new foam polishing pad for the Porter Cable 7424 Car Polisher:

Removes swirl marks and oxidation like magic!

Virtually eliminates polish splatter!

Holds more car polish to reduce stop and go.

Innovative “Polishing Pocket” grooves. The Polishing Pocket cut in the face of the pad allows the pad to be loaded with polish and prevents splatter. As you apply pressure to the pad, polish in the Polishing Pocket is applied to the surface.

Old 05-02-2007, 09:35 PM
That looks like a good idea, I jsut wonder how good it works. When I use my PC the garage looks like someone took a white spray paint can to it. Where did you find it, does ADS have it?

Old 05-02-2007, 09:37 PM
Wonder if that pad leads to wasting product. Anything that claims "magic" is also a flag for me to steer clear for awhile.

Old 05-02-2007, 10:33 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
No clue.

I concur with the use of the word 'magic' in the description. That's definitely not a word that I have become comfortable with since the invention of infomercials.

Old 05-03-2007, 12:13 AM
I'm fairly new to using a high-speed buffer (DW849), but I'd be afraid of applying the necessary pressure to get "into the groove". I went my first go round without using hardly any elbow grease, pretty much just the weight of the machine was about as gutsy as I got...

Then again, I wonder if the grooves would also help eliminate some of the heat???

Old 05-03-2007, 12:16 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think the groves are to allow somewhere for some of the excess product to 'go' and be distributed over the paint a bit easier.

With a high-speed -- you're not going to want to use much more than the machine weight for your downward pressure. While you can get after it on certain spots (careful though), you'll find that pressing down and attempting to control a high speed can be challenging (the machine will have a tendency to 'walk' on you.)

Old 05-03-2007, 08:33 AM
hmmm .. I would think that pad would make it a little harder to control how much product you were working with ..

Trending Topics

Old 05-03-2007, 12:04 PM
I saw the pad on sale at Autopia. One thing I notice using the Edge 2000 pads, the polish wants to move to the outer edges staying wet or not broken down, while the middle part of the pad is dry, creating a inconsistent flow. I thought maybe the below pad would counteract this problem or be more user friendly. I dunno maybe I'm doing something wrong in that sense like overloading. Thoughts?

The SwirlBuster™ Foam Polishing Pad is constructed from the same Swisstex foam used by Mercedes-Benz and other European car makers to remove paint defects on the assembly line.

INSTRUCTIONS
Use the Sonus SwirlBuster™ Foam Polishing Pad in conjunction with a 5” to 6” Velcro backing plate. A 5” backing plate will be less aggressive than a 6” plate.

Prime the pad before first use with 2-3 sprays of pad conditioner or detailing spray.

Load the Polishing Pocket with a generous amount of Sonus SwirlBuster™ Polish (or your favorite “swirl remover polish”), but do not overfill.

Place pad flat on paint surface to be polished, apply enough pressure to put the pad under load (slightly compressed) and switch the polisher on.

If using the Porter Cable 7424 dual-action polisher, run the machine at 5 to 6 on the speed dial. If using on a rotary machine, run between 750 and 1000 RPM.

Polish a 2 to 3 square foot area at a time. Run the polisher until the polish runs clear and then reduce pressure and speed. Wipe off polish residue to check work. Repeat if necessary.

Wash the pad with dish detergent and water. Gently wring out excess water and allow to air dry.

Quick Reply: RockPick, what's up with this pad?