Water spots on my '07 Harley! WTF!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 11:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Water spots on my '07 Harley! WTF!

Can't remove water spots from my paint and windows! Please help! I tried vinegar and distilled water. That was a no go. Do I try a clay bar kit? Spots are stubborn. I just want them gone!

Old 05-05-2007, 04:18 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There are generally two types of water spots...

1. The ones that sit up on top of the paint (non-etching typically)
2. The type that etches into the paint.

Can you feel the spots? Do they feel like they're on top or below the paint surface?

This will determine what course of action to take next....

Lastly, are you familar with any type of mechanical polishing (rotary, dual-action polisher?)

RP

Old 05-05-2007, 11:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh Boy!!!!!

Old 05-07-2007, 06:17 AM
When I rub my hand across the paint, I can feel something sitting on it. As far as the windows, some areas I can feel something and in others, nothing at all. After I noticed the spots, I used the vinegar/water mix and waxed after. No change. I've used a rotary polisher before, but I don't have one now. I will purchase one if necessary. Any help will be appreciated!

Last edited by OgRedd; 05-07-2007 at 06:19 AM.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:40 AM
Moderator &

A true rotary? Like Makita or Dewalt?

Before we go that route, give clay a try. I really doubt that it'll get it because of your experience with the vinegar but, it's a much cheaper attempt than buying a $200 rotary or a $150 DA.... that, and you'll be able to use the clay in the long run even if it doesn't work.

If the spots are sitting ON TOP of the paint and haven't etched, you should have fairly good success with the clay and then maybe something as simple as a cleaner wax on the backside of it following clay.

-RP-

Old 05-07-2007, 12:09 PM
Thanks, dude. I'm gonna try the clay. Any brand recommendations? I did a little research and the clay is suppose to clean glass as well. I read good reviews on the Mother's brand, but if you know of a better one, please, do tell!

Old 05-07-2007, 12:12 PM
Moderator &

They're all about the same in my opinion.... The typical brands that you'll see on the shelf include, but are not limited to:

1. Clay Magic
2. Mothers Clay Kit
3. Meguiar's Quik Clay
4. Meguiar's Smooth Surface (or something like that).

I've not really noticed a difference from clay to clay -- at least from a 'mild' standpoint. There are more aggressive clays out there but, they probably wouldn't be very beneficial for what you're attempting to accomplish in my opinion.

In short, if you find it and it says clay -- and it's in the automotive section -- you're probably good to go.

Let us know how it works. Follow the directions explicitly.

-RP-

Old 05-07-2007, 12:17 PM
Moderator &

Og... an option for your windows is a product called Easy Off BAM. DO NOT USE THIS ON YOUR PAINT.

Works better than anything I've EVER seen on water spot removal ON GLASS ONLY but, again, DO NOT USE THIS ON YOUR PAINT!!!

Spray the product on a shop rag or similar and then go to the glass with it. If you're tinted, user beware.

You'll follow with a quality glass cleaner and they're gone...

Again, this is a USE AT YOUR OWN RISK technique.

Old 05-07-2007, 12:36 PM
RockPick, you rule! I'll definitely try the clay first on the paint.. As far as the windows, clay first then BAM if necessary. I'll take before and after photos and post - whenever I get my gallery setup! Thanks again!

Old 05-07-2007, 02:55 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
One product that worked EXCEPTIONALLY WELL for waterspots on my truck was Duz-All by Pro Car Care Products. I followed it up with a nice finishing polish, and a good wax, and it turned out awesome!

Old 05-07-2007, 03:09 PM
Get yourself some Duragloss Nu-Glass for your windows.

It works exceptionally well at removing water spots and you don't have to worry about getting it on your paint.

It goes on like wax or rubbing compound then wipes right off and can be applied mechanically or by hand (which is how I do it).

Good stuff.

Old 05-07-2007, 04:05 PM
Originally Posted by OgRedd
RockPick, you rule!
Oh, geeze...

Old 05-07-2007, 04:46 PM
i would almost bet your spots is front acid rain and not washing, so i would be looking for a very good wax, and even wax your windows with it, i do and the benifit is less wiper useage

Old 05-08-2007, 08:33 AM
Thanks, guys. I appreciate all the advice. I'll start claying, rubbing and waxing this weekend.

Old 05-09-2007, 06:08 AM
Just had a thought. Anybody knows if the clay bar will remove ink from the Harley stripes? I'm almost certain they don't have a clear coating over them. Before I carry my claying plan into action, I don't want to start an early fade of the stripes. I will avoid applying the clay to them if I have to. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Water spots on my '07 Harley! WTF!