Amethyst Colored Harley Truck

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 04:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amethyst Colored Harley Truck

I think tomorrow I'm going to build up my team of detailling products and give my truck a shine. I have a 2007 Harley Davidson F150 in that Amethyst color, should I use any different products or just treat it like any dark colored vehicle? I was planning on using the Claybar, Then a polish, then a synthetic wax, then two coats of Mothers Carnauba(I already have this product). I'm kind of new to this multi product detailling, so if anybody sees a flaw in my plan feel free to point it out I've never used the Claybar method before so thats really the only thing I'm uncertain on.

Heres some pictures of the shine I've managed to get so far. I know its got more shine in it somewere.

Thanks in advance, I've been reading some of the topics and I've already learnt alot

Old 05-09-2007, 06:02 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice truck, dude. Beware of water spots! If you're taking care of the finish early, you may avoid the horror I'm experiencing with my '07 Harley. Water spots invaded my finish as well as my windows. Going to clay, polish and wax this weekend. I pray to the F150 gods above that the spots vanish. Amen.

Old 05-09-2007, 08:37 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds like a nice plan to me if you have swirl free/problem free paint... of course, one can always expand on steps and such but, as a pretty solid base plan, you're thinking along the correct lines in my opinion.

One thing I'd like for you to do and report back if you don't mind...

I've never worked on that amethyst paint...

Once you've polished, applied the synthetic, and are getting ready to go with the Mother's carnauba, pay close attention to the darkening effect that the carnauba causes in the paint. I'd be interested in hearing what you have to say about it.

Old 05-09-2007, 09:32 AM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
On an unrelated note -- I absolutely LOVE the "Harley-Davidson" lettering they put on the bedsides of the new HD models! I never noticed this detail until this past weekend when I was at my local dealer sniffing around some Mustangs. A very nice touch to an already awesome truck!

Old 05-09-2007, 10:57 AM
Technical Article Contributor

I love that color. My mom has a brand new Edge in that color.

Old 05-09-2007, 01:23 PM
Suspended
Just make sure you let each coat of wax cure for about 12 hours otherwise you'll just be buffing off the previous coat.

Old 05-09-2007, 03:05 PM
It decided to rain today so I won't be digging into it right away. My paint is fairly problem free, I have some very minor swirl and shallow scratches on my hood, but other then that it is problem free. Once I do get it all detailed and finished up I'll make sure to post up some pictures and report how it went. My experience with this paint so far is that it really shows dust, it doesn't show scratches as bad as black(considering its almost black depending on the lighting) I haven't encountered to much water spotting, but I honestly have washed just about everyday since I've owned it(two months now) and it gets either Mothers Showtime or Carnauba wax atleast twice a week. I'm looking forward to seeing what I can do with the shine.

Old 05-09-2007, 03:10 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You've been waxing it TWICE per WEEK?

While I understand that you think you're really accomplishing something by doing that... there is a point at which you can't add any more wax. It's called the Law of Diminishing Returns... in short, you're adding a wax on a wax on a wax on a wax... eventually, those last couple of coats are being removed in full rather than 'building up'.

So, basically, you're pouring the wax down the drain... Just a FYI!

I do look forward to your pics... nice truck!

Old 05-09-2007, 03:53 PM
Yeah, I know its alittle overkill, I've only used the Carnauba on it twice in the last two months, usually I just use Showtime. I was pretty sure that Showtime didn't do a whole lot more then give some lubrication while I wipe off my truck. Its been raining everyday or two here, so my truck stays clean for short periods of time.

Old 05-09-2007, 06:23 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 07HD
Yeah, I know its alittle overkill, I've only used the Carnauba on it twice in the last two months, usually I just use Showtime. I was pretty sure that Showtime didn't do a whole lot more then give some lubrication while I wipe off my truck. Its been raining everyday or two here, so my truck stays clean for short periods of time.
I know the weather is driving me nuts as well. Heck it was raining today so i washed the truck, and the rain stopped...go figure.

Old 05-09-2007, 10:36 PM
Originally Posted by 1 KRAZY KANUCK
I know the weather is driving me nuts as well. Heck it was raining today so i washed the truck, and the rain stopped...go figure.
haha, I just finished washing mine now that the sun is out again. I'll probly start waxing once its completely dry. Is that Mark LT door handles I spy on yours, they look really good on there.

Old 05-10-2007, 10:40 AM
haha, I just finished washing mine now that the sun is out again. I'll probly start waxing once its completely dry. Is that Mark LT door handles I spy on yours, they look really good on there.
No i installed my newly chromed flame door handles.

Old 05-10-2007, 12:10 PM
Oh their the flamed ones, nice!

Old 05-11-2007, 12:46 AM
Oh their the flamed ones, nice!
I get my ram air hood installed this weekend!
Then it really will look good.

Old 05-11-2007, 01:39 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by RockPick
Once you've polished, applied the synthetic, and are getting ready to go with the Mother's carnauba, pay close attention to the darkening effect that the carnauba causes in the paint. I'd be interested in hearing what you have to say about it.
are you saying polish then wax? Ive always thought wax was a base protectant, and polish is just the icing on the cake

Quick Reply: Amethyst Colored Harley Truck