PC/DA Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 12:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PC/DA Question

I know you're all tired of this but...

From what I've read on these forums the PC is the safest tool to use for cleaning/polishing/waxing paint other than doing it by hand. Is it really that safe for a beginner to just pick up and use? Is there anything I should know before purchasing one and using it my first time? Also, how much time does it cut down on applying polish/wax compared to doing it by hand? Thanks!

Old 05-10-2007, 08:50 AM
Tehy're very easy and safe for a beginner to use. Check out this place--Rick always has the best offers on the market. And, he's very well versed in his products and will not BS woth you. Ask him what you need based on what you want to do. He'll sell you what you need and won't push non-needed stuff.

Using one can mean the following:
Clean, polish, wax x2 in 2 hours by machine

OR

same steps, but with really tired arms and really tired from being outside-- for 6 hours. Take your pick.

I was leery of messing up my paint at first, and did the hand application for almost a year. But I'll never go back to it, since this way is so much faster and more effective.

Old 05-10-2007, 09:52 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
In addition to what f150 mentioned, keep in mind that you're not going to totally eliminate hand application as well. The PC, while it is a FANTASTIC method for light to moderate swirl removal as well as simple wax application has it's limitations. Some of those limitations would be places like roof gutters, the A & B pillars, etc -- these areas are a bit too tight for you to get the pad around in the tight fitment and avoid getting product all over trim parts.

The PC is remarkably simple to use. It's VERY user safe and will make paint problem removal considerably easier. In addition, it'll speed you your detail times with wax application.

The link that f150sport provided points towards, in my opinion, the best deal on the net for the G-100 system. You'll get basically everything that you need in one box and won't have to bother with going here and there to snare the products that would work along with it.

Using it is simple... when polishing, you'll use a polishing pad (yellow) and an associated polishing liquid. When waxing, you'll use a finishing pad (beige) and the associated wax.

There are oodles of tweaks that this group can help you with as well as help educate you about the what's and when's of the PC. It's simply up to you to take the plunge and buy the machine. In my honest opinion, it's a very good investment for the enthusiast but probably not so much for the guy that waxes once per year.

The #2 kit would be my suggestion for the average enthusiast as it contains EVERYTHING that you'll need to hit the ground running. I would recommend tossing in one additional finishing pad and maybe asking Rick if he would substitute the NXT Speed Detailer for Meguiar's Quik Detailer (I just don't like SD at all... way too smeary).

Other than that, you're good to go. Let us know if you have additional questions or need additional help.

-RP-

Old 05-10-2007, 11:40 AM
LRG
Definitely go for it Dkory22! Going to a machine is a complete detailing game changer. I have so much fun using a machine I actually look forward to a good detail now, so much that I often ask family members/others if I can detail their rig for them!

Things off the top of my head: work in the shade or garage, hot paint makes whatever compound/polish you're using dry up too quickly. You just can't get away with working in the sun.

When using a compound/polish stop working it before it dries. If it dries you'll create more swirls. Remove it with a MF towel before it dries also.

Get some Meguiar's #80 and start out with that, it's an incredible product and easy to work with. It's the goto product for most jobs.

If you haven't been over to MOL (meguiarsonline.com) yet check that out, tons of excellent info on how/when to use meguiar's products (assuming you want to use meguiar's .

Have fun!

Last edited by LRG; 05-10-2007 at 11:43 AM.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:52 PM
Ok thanks for all the info! I'm definitely going to buy one now and I'm sure I'll be back with more questions in the future.

What makes the PC so much safer than a standard orbital? Does it spin a different way or is it just balanced much better?

How often do you have to purchase replacement pads?

Thanks again

Old 05-10-2007, 02:35 PM
Moderator &

A PC is DA... DA means 'dual-action'. It moves in an up and down motion as well as a circular/orbital motion.

This, in turn, helps to eliminate some of the motions that would cause typical 'swirls'.

Pad replacement... the simple answer is, as needed. They can be repeatedly used. A pad set (like the ones in the kit) will last you a good long time as long as they're maintained (cleaned) and properly stored (in ziploc bags once dry).

Be sure to tell Rick that the gang over at f150online.com sent you. He knows us fairly well there, I think.

Old 05-10-2007, 03:19 PM
Ahh thanks! I was actually just reading about why the PC is so safe on the MOL forums when I checked here and read your post. I'll make sure and let them know at ADS that you guys pointed me to his site!

One last question for now....when you guys say use meguiars #83 or #26 what do the numbers mean? I can't find anywhere on their site that lists these numbers for the products but it seems that everybody else knows what they mean

Trending Topics

Old 05-10-2007, 03:42 PM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by Dkory22
Ahh thanks! I was actually just reading about why the PC is so safe on the MOL forums when I checked here and read your post. I'll make sure and let them know at ADS that you guys pointed me to his site!

One last question for now....when you guys say use meguiars #83 or #26 what do the numbers mean? I can't find anywhere on their site that lists these numbers for the products but it seems that everybody else knows what they mean

#83 is a product called Dual Action Cleaner Polish.... #26 is Hi-Tech Yellow Wax...

Basically, the two digit code is decodes the product for several of us who deal within the products...

The way that Meguiar's works, they put a two digit code on nearly ever liquid/paste product. Then, they put a two digit code on the end to denote the bottle size.

So, for example, a bottle of 8332 is #83 Dual Action Cleaner Polish in a 32 oz bottle.

Old 05-10-2007, 03:45 PM
They are products in the Meguiars Mirror Glaze line. #83 is Dual Action Cleaner/Polisher and and #26 is Hi-Tech Yellow Wax.

Definitely go for the PC. I got mine about a year ago from Tropi-Care and found it very easy to use from the beginning.

Old 05-10-2007, 03:46 PM
RockPick beat me to it...he seems to be to detailing as Wandell is to wheels, tires, and suspension.

Old 05-10-2007, 04:55 PM
Alright thanks! I found the products now, those were just examples anyway. Can't wait to try this out

Old 05-14-2007, 07:53 PM
What model of PC do people use?
They list three models on their website: http://www.porter-cable.com/index.asp?e=547&p=2804

Old 05-14-2007, 10:41 PM
The 7424 is what I have.

Old 05-14-2007, 11:21 PM
Moderator &

7424 or 7336 are the two main choices. They differ in counterweight only.

For even a better deal, check www.autodetailingsolutions.com for the G-100 (which is a 7424 branded with the Meguiar's name). The only real 'perk' to going with the G-100 is the LIFETIME warranty versus the 90-day/1 year that comes standard with the Porter Cable branded machine.

-RP-

Old 05-15-2007, 08:15 AM
Thanks RP!

It looks like the 7336 can also be used for sanding versus the 7424.

I did check out the autodetailingsolutions site but they don't ship to Canada.

Quick Reply: PC/DA Question