Bed Rail Caps

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 02:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bed Rail Caps

I'm sure I'm not the only one whose bed rail caps were severely discolored by the sun, improper cleaning and care, and substandard products meant to protect them. The dreaded white haze just wouldn't go away.

I'd tried everything imaginable to get the color back. I scrubbed with cleaners, solvents, you name it. Hell, in my desperation I even tried GoJo. I used brushes, Magic Erasers, pads, etc. Anything I had handy around the house. Nothing worked. It really only got progressively worse.

Not wishing to pay for replacements, at least not until I find something that won't discolor again, I resorted to another desperate measure. I wanted to try painting them. I was at the point where if I ruined them, well, what the hell.

Krylon FUSION spray paint, made for vinyl and plastics, did the trick. A five-dollar fix that, so far, is lasting in the hot Alabama sun. It has a slight metallic touch to it, but I have to say, it looks pretty good. It surely looks much better than the dreaded white haze.

Just thought I'd pass this along for those who wish to try something just short of replacing the caps with something that will only discolor again.

Old 05-11-2007, 02:15 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Thanks, may try that myself, at some point.

Old 05-11-2007, 02:59 PM
My truck has 7000kms on it and I've used plastic shine on those bedrails at every wash and mine are still all faded and sunbeat haha

Old 05-11-2007, 03:30 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by 07HD
My truck has 7000kms on it and I've used plastic shine on those bedrails at every wash and mine are still all faded and sunbeat haha
The stuff we use will get into the grain and turn white. I have used steel wool on mine to get most of it out.

Old 05-11-2007, 04:06 PM
Good luck with the Fusion.

I've used it to rework duck decoys and I can't tell that it holds to plastic any better than the dollar a can stuff.

Quick Reply: Bed Rail Caps