1" Hail and no damage!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 11:18 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
I noticed that the '07's panels are different. By chance, did Ford add an alloy metal to them to make them more dent resistant? Or is it a new process Ford has developed, but kept under wraps?

Old 05-13-2007, 11:21 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ManualF150
I noticed that the '07's panels are different. By chance, did Ford add an alloy metal to them to make them more dent resistant? Or is it a new process Ford has developed, but kept under wraps?
Interesting observation... I didn't know about this one...

It seems that the stamping plant that provides panels over to KC pulled something off between 11/04 (my build date) and 5/05 (a recent detail client's build date) on the roof -- it had the regular rain gutters but, it also had one extra raised metal area on both sides of the sun roof. Mine doesn't have that ... I'm not sure as to the functionality but, it was interesting to see. I guess that's Build #1 vs. Build #2 or 3?

Old 05-14-2007, 10:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr. Franko
I've heard of this giant hail stuff but never experienced it. Does all traffic pull off the roads when it happens? Or do they just ignore it and plow onward? Do people make mad dashes for their garages?
When I was going through it everyone instantly slowed down to about 30 mph, but unfortunately we were on a part of the interstate where there were no overpasses to hide under. I still can't believe as hard as those things were hitting the windshield that I suffered no damage, I have checked every day this weekedn to ensure, but I found nothing.

Old 05-14-2007, 07:19 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up

Today it was sunny and 87*! I looked my truck over really good and did not even find a scratch! I guess Ford has now made there trucks bullet proof..........almost!

Old 05-15-2007, 01:03 AM
Hail

I have seen (been in ) Bad hail storms. 1" hail with no damage to vehicles ... maybe, but my 1991 truck had $1,600 in damage. Cueball size hail .... NO WAY going thru that with out Major damage ! That size hail tore up (severely dented) my weber charcoal grill and wiped out all the vehicles in its path. Tore up roofs ,broke all windows facing the storm. In general everything got FUBARed !

Last edited by Sullybr549; 05-15-2007 at 01:11 AM.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How in the world are you guys getting no damage in 1" hail???
Last year my 05 F150 was sitting in the drive way when it started to hail quarter size or smaller for about 5-10 minutes. it dented the hood and the top of the cab. Granted it was not bad at all, most if the dents could not be seen unless you looked at it at an extreme angle. however the insurance company said $1100 in damages and 2 body shops said around $500. Go figure mine must be a puss

Old 05-15-2007, 11:17 PM
I wonder if eind has an effect... Hail here only comes with winds of 40 mph... So I wonder if the wind makes the hail glance off or have some sort of spin on it that prevents damage...

Or is there a difference in density of the hail here and there? Air in the ice could definately make the impact softer by allowing the hail to crush rather than the body.

Or maybe I'm thinking way too far into this...

Old 05-16-2007, 05:21 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by f-150sport03
I wonder if eind has an effect... Hail here only comes with winds of 40 mph... So I wonder if the wind makes the hail glance off or have some sort of spin on it that prevents damage...

Or is there a difference in density of the hail here and there? Air in the ice could definately make the impact softer by allowing the hail to crush rather than the body.

Or maybe I'm thinking way too far into this...
I think if the earths axis is tilted just rite as the hail hits, it makes the impact just soft enough to glance off the trucks surface............

Quick Reply: 1" Hail and no damage!