1" Hail and no damage!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 07:31 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Exclamation 1" Hail and no damage!

We had a hail storm today,which lasted about 20-30 minutes.I just knew for sure I was gonna have some chipped paint or small dings! But,after the storm I washed my truck and "NO" damage! Am I lucky or what? Anyone else ever have this happen to them?

Old 05-13-2007, 07:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well thats a relief to you Im sure

Old 05-13-2007, 07:58 PM
We had golf ball sized hail here in Rocky Mount, N.C. about 2 months ago. Two weeks before I traded my 2000 Windstar for the 04 150. The Windstar emerged totally unscathed. I was trapped inside it for the 20 minutes the storm lasted as it began just as I got home. Pretty intense for a few minutes there. Thought for sure the windshield was going to get destroyed. Not sure what it would have done to the sunroof in my truck now if I'd had it then.

Old 05-13-2007, 08:14 PM
One inch hail "shouldn't" be a problem unless you're driving in it. However my fathers F-350 suffered some hood roof and glass damage with 4" hail while parked. The vents on top of his 5-wheel trailer were destroyed.

Old 05-13-2007, 08:29 PM
I was driving home on Friday and went through a hailstorm that had up to 1" size hail. It was incredibly loud as these pieces of hail bounced off the top and the windshield of my truck. I was just waiting for the piece that would come down and put a big dent in the hood or a crack in the windshield. Got home and inspected everything and nothing, no damage at all. I turned on the TV and there was a report by the local meteorologist and he was saying that hail was possible up to 1 inch. All I could say is take the word possible out of the equation because it's actually happening.

Old 05-13-2007, 08:33 PM
My Dad's F-250 SD (2001) got hit by a 10 minute hailstorm that increased in size to a cueball, then back down. He was driving at about 40 mph when the cueball stuff started to fall, and the only damage recieved was:
-Accessory driving lights had to be aimed again
-Plastic brace for mirror has a hole in it.

NO problems otherwise. I was thouroughly impressed (For those of you who are wondering why he was driving, a tornado was just behind him headed in the direction of the house, and he wanted to be in the house rather than in his truck. He says it was insanely loud...)

Old 05-13-2007, 09:09 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I *must* find those softball sized hail pictures...

Old 05-13-2007, 09:38 PM
I've heard of this giant hail stuff but never experienced it. Does all traffic pull off the roads when it happens? Or do they just ignore it and plow onward? Do people make mad dashes for their garages?

Old 05-13-2007, 10:31 PM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by Dr. Franko
I've heard of this giant hail stuff but never experienced it. Does all traffic pull off the roads when it happens? Or do they just ignore it and plow onward? Do people make mad dashes for their garages?

It's a MAD DASH for every overpass or bank drive-thru or anything else with a canopy. People will drive under anything that has an overhang or similar.

If the hail is severe enough, the entire mad rush of vehicles moving down an interstate will cease to move...

Frankly, it's pandamonium.... and of the general variety that you NEVER want to be a part of. I've been in it TWICE this year already...

The first time, I was lucky enough to be near a bank and sat there throughout the hail (about 1.5") (there must have been 30 cars that came through that area looking for the spot I was sitting in). The second time, I was on the interstate and jumped off as I could see it out in front of me. By the time that I got under the interstate (overpass) there were already 10 or so vehicles tucked under there. I actually pulled off of the emergency shoulder, dropped it in 4-high, and tinkered down the ditch line next to the road so that I could secure a spot beneath it without deadlocking traffic.

Old 05-13-2007, 10:41 PM

Funny how people pull over under overpasses when it's hailing or even raining hard considering it's so dangerous even on a dry day. Too bad natural selection doesn't apply to most humans.

Old 05-13-2007, 10:54 PM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by Stealth
Funny how people pull over under overpasses when it's hailing or even raining hard considering it's so dangerous even on a dry day. Too bad natural selection doesn't apply to most humans.

Huh? So, it's not a good idea to pull under an overpass when golf ***** are flying at you from 55,000 feet?

Old 05-13-2007, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by RockPick
Huh? So, it's not a good idea to pull under an overpass when golf ***** are flying at you from 55,000 feet?
Where's my sarcasm detector?

Old 05-13-2007, 10:59 PM
Originally Posted by RockPick
It's a MAD DASH for every overpass or bank drive-thru or anything else with a canopy. People will drive under anything that has an overhang or similar.

If the hail is severe enough, the entire mad rush of vehicles moving down an interstate will cease to move...

Frankly, it's pandamonium.... and of the general variety that you NEVER want to be a part of. I've been in it TWICE this year already...

The first time, I was lucky enough to be near a bank and sat there throughout the hail (about 1.5") (there must have been 30 cars that came through that area looking for the spot I was sitting in). The second time, I was on the interstate and jumped off as I could see it out in front of me. By the time that I got under the interstate (overpass) there were already 10 or so vehicles tucked under there. I actually pulled off of the emergency shoulder, dropped it in 4-high, and tinkered down the ditch line next to the road so that I could secure a spot beneath it without deadlocking traffic.
Wow that's madness! I had no idea.

Old 05-13-2007, 11:09 PM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by Dr. Franko
Wow that's madness! I had no idea.
You silly Oregonians.

Picture the monsoon-like rains that you get there on I-5 being hail stones.... Does that paint a picture? HAHAHA!

I've spent a little bit of time over on in your state. First time I was there, I got yelled at for trying pump my own gas.

Tenant came running out... "What do you think you're doing!?". Me - "Filling up...?". Him - "You're in Oregon now, boy. You can't just pull up and start 'filling up' ... we have to do it!". Me- "Oh. Get to it peppy! I'm in a hurry.".

Heard of a great big nickel mine down in Riddle? I've done some work there...

Old 05-13-2007, 11:11 PM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by Stealth
Where's my sarcasm detector?
I'd let you borrow mine but, mine's broken. Need sleepy... what a weekend. Whew.

Quick Reply: 1" Hail and no damage!