Rock chip repairs

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 11:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rock chip repairs

I know someone did a write-up on how to do this, but for the life of me i can not find it. Had something to do with using a toothpick to allow the paint to fill in the chip, then sand using a pencil with sandpaper attached to the eraser, etc., etc. Can someone find the link and repost it or give me the details again. Looking for info on the type of sandpaper to use, and what polish to use afterwards, etc.

thanks!

Old 05-14-2007, 11:51 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...41&postcount=8

That's exactly the procedure that I use... Also, Mother's has a Langka kit out that isn't too shabby (and less expensive than the full Lanka kit)

Old 05-14-2007, 11:55 AM
Moderator &

http://www.shop.com/op/sprod-0-p2390...int+chip-nover

This stuff works pretty well but, I've always found myself having to 2000-grit sand at the end to get a uniform look...

Old 05-14-2007, 12:21 PM
Originally Posted by RockPick
https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...41&postcount=8

That's exactly the procedure that I use... Also, Mother's has a Langka kit out that isn't too shabby (and less expensive than the full Lanka kit)
Thats what I was looking for. Thanks RP, I figured it would be you that came through with this.

I've done the toothpick part, now all I need to do is wait the 24hrs and sand.

Old 05-14-2007, 02:09 PM
Question(s);

1. One of the chips was a bit deep and I just noticed the paint “sunk” into the chip. Do I fill this sunken area with more paint first, or do I sand first, then re-apply more paint to fill it in?

2. How much sanding do I do? Am I trying to get the bumps flush with the rest of the cars paint or just trying to smooth the bump down?

3. Is a dab of clear coat needed or am I safe to not worry about it?

Old 05-14-2007, 02:19 PM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by 01SILVERGT
Question(s);

1. One of the chips was a bit deep and I just noticed the paint “sunk” into the chip. Do I fill this sunken area with more paint first, or do I sand first, then re-apply more paint to fill it in?
VERY light scuff and then fill with more paint.

2. How much sanding do I do? Am I trying to get the bumps flush with the rest of the cars paint or just trying to smooth the bump down?
Both

3. Is a dab of clear coat needed or am I safe to not worry about it?

I wouldn't worry about it. At a spot that small, having single stage paint is perfectly acceptable -- especially if you can get it smooth

Old 05-14-2007, 02:24 PM
i got a question what if you have to light long scratches what would be the best way to touch them up?? and is it safe to add a clear coat over touch up paint or is that not a good idea?

Old 05-14-2007, 02:33 PM
Alright RP, few more Q’s.

Been reading more about this today and have a question on the sanding part. Do I sand “back and forth” or in a circular motion? I read one article that says to attach the sandpaper to the eraser tip and sand back and forth in a variable pattern (0deg, then 45deg, then 90deg), but read another that says to attach the sandpaper to the eraser then sand by “rolling” the pencil between your fingers over the spot, thus a circular motion.

What polish should I get? Will scratch X be enough or should I get a polish compound and if so what? (It will need to be commercially available at Wally World or an Auto parts store).

Old 05-14-2007, 02:40 PM

Been reading more about this today and have a question on the sanding part. Do I sand “back and forth” or in a circular motion? I read one article that says to attach the sandpaper to the eraser tip and sand back and forth in a variable pattern (0deg, then 45deg, then 90deg), but read another that says to attach the sandpaper to the eraser then sand by “rolling” the pencil between your fingers over the spot, thus a circular motion.

What polish should I get? Will scratch X be enough or should I get a polish compound and if so what? (It will need to be commercially available at Wally World or an Auto parts store).
either way would work really, if you notice what they are saying is blend the paint in the area to match which is why one say's circular, and the other pretty much is doing it in a circle but going back and forth.. and as for the scratch x i belive walmart sells mothers scratch x that rock pick posted.

Old 05-14-2007, 04:08 PM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by ridge
i got a question what if you have to light long scratches what would be the best way to touch them up?? and is it safe to add a clear coat over touch up paint or is that not a good idea?

I'd let a body shop look at that... I think that just about anything that you put on it will make it stick out like a sore thumb.

-RP-

Old 05-14-2007, 04:11 PM
Moderator &

6 of one... a half-dozen of the other. My typical procedure is on a circular pattern... *shrugs*. I'm not sure I've ever seen a procedure that works better one way or the other. It makes sense to distribute the scuffs over the entire area and not in one uniform motion but, either way, you should be able to pull them out.

Uhh... Scratch X should probably work but, you may need more oompah. Try it, if it doesn't work then we'll step back and punt.

Old 05-14-2007, 04:12 PM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by ridge
...i belive walmart sells mothers scratch x that rock pick posted.
Meguiar's makes the Scratch X product... but, Mother's also has a few scratch remover products as well.

The product that I posted is a 'paint blob' leveler product.... not a scratch remover.

Old 05-14-2007, 04:17 PM
Originally Posted by RockPick
http://www.shop.com/op/sprod-0-p2390...int+chip-nover

This stuff works pretty well but, I've always found myself having to 2000-grit sand at the end to get a uniform look...
I could not find this on the Mother's site and could not get the catalog to load. Can you give me a brief description on what it does? I have been using primer applied with a brush for deeper chips, maybe this stuff is better? I also use the 2,000 grit a lot.

Old 05-14-2007, 04:20 PM
Moderator &

www.langka.com

It's a variation of their 'big' kit for chip fixes. I'm not sure that Mother's markets it any longer but, I do own a bottle and can attest to the fact that it works fairly well.

Old 05-14-2007, 04:31 PM
This is very interesting. I need to research these products. Anything that reduces time, or creates a better finish, after a chip repair is great!

Quick Reply: Rock chip repairs