Wheel Cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 03:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheel Cleaning

OK what do you guys use to clean the back side of the wheels. Like most others I have a lot of brake dust in the front and want to know the best route to clean them besides taking them off each wash. Thanks.

Old 05-14-2007, 04:02 PM
I use either Meguiar's Wheel Brightener, Meguiar's All Purpose Cleaner, or Michelin wheel and tire cleaner with a 16" wheel brush. The long, narrow body of the brush is perfect for reaching in between spokes and scrubbing the inside of the wheel. It is long enough to reach the entire surface (at least on the FX4 wheels) behind the spokes. I got mine from Tropi-Care, but I have seen them at a few different detail shops and web sites.

Old 05-14-2007, 04:16 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
P21S Wheel Cleaner. There aren't any miracle products out there -- they'll all require a bit of oompah and a bit of elbow grease to remove the excessive amount of grime/dust that builds up behind the facing of the wheel. Plus, keep in mind, many of the 'back sides' of wheels aren't clear coated and, as such, you can polish those like you can any metal... FYI.

-RP-

Old 05-14-2007, 05:48 PM
find a local professional detail shop in your area and find what is known as "jag spoke" or "spoke and wheel" cleaner. this stuff is hands down the best that can be bought. it will melt away brake dust. this stuff is to be used with caution as it is a hot chemical. do not let dry on the wheel or use on a hot wheel this stuff is not forgiving at all if used incorrectly. this is an acid based product and will ruin a wheel quickly if used wrong. i have not had to buy any rims for a customer since i take special care with the product and cut it atleast 50% from straight and it still makes the grime flow off a wheel. i have personally used it on several hundred rims on cars and motorcycles with no problems at all. it is not sold over the counter and can only be found at professional detail shops. tex-brite in houston has it, it can not be shipped, but other dealers are out there in most larger cities will have it. it is safe on painted, clear coated, chrome rim, cast alum rim. it really stands out on a rear factory harley bagger bike (the black spoke and brshed alum lip) these are not easy to clean and very neglected by most owners, they always ask, "how did you get the rear rim that clean?" they will look factory clean, no kidding. car wheels take less than 1 min per rim and bike rims take less than 5 per rim due to two sides and having to move the rim to get what is hidding behind the fork sliders,swingarm, and or fenders. dont be scared of it being acid...just dont spray it own, go eat a sandwich and come back. it should be sprayed on and hosed off in less than 45 seconds.

Old 05-14-2007, 06:44 PM
take your wheels off clean them one very good time, then put a few coats of wax on the back of your wheel. they are alway going to get dust on them but if you protect the wheel itself with a wax it will be eaiser to remove.

Quick Reply: Wheel Cleaning