Tire Cleaner?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 03:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire Cleaner?

I'm telling my age here but am wondering, is liquid floor was a NO NO these days for putting a shine on tires? Back in the 60's I would clean the tire with Comet and a stiff bristled brush and then apply the floor wax with a damp cloth. The next time that I washed my car I would use the Comet again to remove the old wax and reapply.
Is it that the new products are just easier to apply?
Btw, I just finished claying my F-150 and it turned out great. Thanks for the tip!

Old 05-14-2007, 04:18 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you've clayed, go ahead and take it to the next step with, at a minimum, wax.

As for floor wax on the tires -- I am probably telling my age here too but, I've not heard of that one.

I can, however, tell you that today's modern dressings typically contain a fair bit of sunscreens as well as other key constituents to help the rubber keep from dry rotting and degrading. Further, the shine from many products lasts weeks -- not days.

We've come a long way on that side of the coin since the days of solvent-based Armor All.

-RP-

Old 05-14-2007, 04:19 PM
LRG
My personal faves are Westley's Bleach White for cleaning the tires and Meguiar's for the tire dressing.

The Bleach White works awesome, just don't get it on paint (and clear coated wheels) or glass. Don't breathe it or get it on your hands, it's powerful stuff! Use as directed on the bottle and you'll get great results.

Meguiar's makes lots of tire dressings. I've used their Endurance gel with good results, wipe on with a towel, wait 15 mins or so, then go back over it to remove any excess to prevent sling. Also check out Eagle One Tire Swipes. RockPick loves them and I got some and tried them out this weekend, they're awesome! Basically it's a piece of foam that's contoured to the shape of a tire, super easy to work with! I paid like $2 for a 2 pack.

I also used Meguiar's NXT Insane Shine Tire Coating for the first time this weekend. It's easy to apply since it's in an aerosol can and spray's on. It has a nice vertical spray pattern that's easy to control coverage with. I like it so far, will have to see how it lasts. Meguiar's also has some other tire dressings as well. Others like to use HyperDressing from the Meguiar's Detailer line on their wheels.

Old 05-14-2007, 04:23 PM
RP, I bought the clay kit from O'Riley Auto Parts and it came with a small sample of wax. I waxed the hood and top of the cab. Maybe tomorrow I'll do the fenders and sides.

Old 05-16-2007, 11:18 PM
BruceinGa...as in the softball player of the same screen name on Softball fans and Swing Mechanics?

Old 05-17-2007, 08:23 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BruceinGa
RP, I bought the clay kit from O'Riley Auto Parts and it came with a small sample of wax. I waxed the hood and top of the cab. Maybe tomorrow I'll do the fenders and sides.
Cool! Let us know how it turns out!

Quick Reply: Tire Cleaner?