Use a dremmel to remove scratches on a wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 07:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Use a dremmel to remove scratches on a wheel?

I have AR Mojaves W/ the sim beadlock on them and Under the beadlock dirt has scratched up the wheels pretty good. I wanted to know if it would work to use a dremmel tool or something along those lines to grind out the scratches and then change out a finer wheel to smooth it out and then a finer wheel to polish? Has anyone done this? I have scratches on all four wheels and new wheels are not an option.

Old 05-15-2007, 06:47 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You COULD use a Dremel tool and the process you mentioned to remove the scratches, but with the RPM's those things turn, I think you'd do more harm than good. Yes, you would remove the scratches, but you'd replace them with some fairly deep grinding marks. If you really want to work in that area of your wheels, you might try some fine wet sandpaper - going around the outside diameter of the wheel. This would remove far less base metal (aluminum) and give you a much less scarred surface to polish back. Remember though, any of this will leave your wheel totally unprotected and it will just oxidize more quickly.

Quick Reply: Use a dremmel to remove scratches on a wheel?