Door seam rust preventative?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 01:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Door seam rust preventative?

03 FX4. I live in Michigan and have seen many F150s with rusty door and tailgate seams. Should I seal those seams with body sealer/caulk or just treat them with something? No rust yet, but I would like to prevent this from happening to mine.

Thanks, FishX

Old 05-15-2007, 02:52 PM
I used 3M clear glass sealer on my doors & tailgate about 4-5 months ago. And it’s still holding up very well. Any sealer will do as long as it’s clear & not silicone base.

Old 05-17-2007, 01:32 PM
Would like to hear more on this one. Is there a reason why the factory did not seal those seams besides cost?

Old 05-17-2007, 03:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The seams were all sealed during production. On a lot of the 1999 through 2003 and even on the 2004 Heritage model there was an issue with rust along the bottom door seams, coming through from the inside. It was thought to having been caused by the drain holes along the bottom of the door being filled with mastic and or epoxy that is used as an adhesive agent during assembly of the doors. This would prevent the rain water and etc. from draining. Some trucks experienced it, and some didn't.
I hope that Ford has it all figured out now as I want those monthly retirement checks to keep coming from them....

Old 07-05-2007, 12:38 AM
99 SCab with Rust on all 4 of the door seams

I have rust and bubbling at the bottom of both the front doors and rear suicide doors due to the bad water drainage. Is there any advice out there on how to stop this rust? Sand it off with a rust/paint remover pad and primer it? Any idea how much a body shop would charge?

Old 07-05-2007, 02:29 PM
Most body shops would probably just sand and paint it. The rust would be back in no time! Maybe that por-15 stuff would be the way to go. I think I'm gonna try to spray some oil in mine for the winter months to prevent this from happening to my 03.

Old 07-05-2007, 03:00 PM
Originally Posted by yekratsb
I have rust and bubbling at the bottom of both the front doors and rear suicide doors due to the bad water drainage. Is there any advice out there on how to stop this rust? Sand it off with a rust/paint remover pad and primer it? Any idea how much a body shop would charge?
Once rust takes a foothold inside of a pinchweld or seam where accessability is impossible, there's not a whole lot you can do. I would be tempted to pull the trim panel off, and the plastic dust cover, and reach inside the door with a squirt bottle or the like, filled with rustmort or the like, and flood the seam in the bottom of the door, and let it wick its' way into the pinch where the panels lap. Part of the reason they use adhesives more, and welds less, is corrosion resistence. Leave the door open so the drippings don't get on your rocker panel, and wipe off the excess.

Old 07-28-2007, 01:31 AM
Yes me too , I have a 2003 lariat fx4 and all 4 doors are just starting to rust , I may do some calling next week , see what i can find out , I just bought mine and just noticed this last week , so I am a little choked I never seen it befor ., will post any news I hear ...........

Old 07-30-2007, 08:07 AM
they did not use a sealer over the seams on the 02's and 03's doors or tailgate. my father's 01 s'cab was sealed completely around the doors from the factory. this is why your getting rust. i had mine fixed under warranty. remember your truck is covered for 5 years for any rust. i noticed my drivers door is showing some rust colour again. i will mention it to the dealer next week when i get it serviced. hopefully they will take care of it again without any problems. most body shops that Ford had that fixed this problem had a special tool they use to bend it back and clean it out etc. then they are able to pinch it without damaging the outside of the sheet metal then seal/paint. why they stopped using a sealer around those seams is totally ridiculous

wanted to add as well that i removed the silly plastic drain whatever's from the bottom of my doors. they seem to drain a lot better. i also get my truck oil sprayed every fall.

Last edited by sgauthier; 07-30-2007 at 09:42 AM.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:50 PM
My drain holes are all unblocked but I still got the seam rust on the doors. POR15 is probably what I will use to fix it.
Your warranty only covers rust through not surface rust unfortunately.

Old 07-31-2007, 12:14 AM
Maybe I am tired, maybe I am stupid, but can somebody provide a pic of where you are talking about. Because since I have an 03, I am apparently NOT sealed, and I am close to that 5 year rust warantee expiring... Any help?

Old 07-31-2007, 10:08 AM
Talking

All trucks from 97 up have it on the doors and tailgate.My truck was oil sprayed every year and i still got it.
I read the ford fix is to open the seem sandblast prime and fill with panel adhesive then repaint.Read this either here or another forum board from a self proclaimed ford body shop guy.
cheers

Old 07-31-2007, 10:51 AM
Originally Posted by matt_97xl
All trucks from 97 up have it on the doors and tailgate.My truck was oil sprayed every year and i still got it.
I read the ford fix is to open the seem sandblast prime and fill with panel adhesive then repaint.Read this either here or another forum board from a self proclaimed ford body shop guy.
cheers
Any pics of the area? I dont necessarily need pics of somebody doing the job, but a pic of where you are talking about would really help...I think if you pointed out where the problem is, I could fix the problem as you mentioned...

Thanks.

Old 07-31-2007, 02:05 PM
Originally Posted by f-150sport03
Any pics of the area? I dont necessarily need pics of somebody doing the job, but a pic of where you are talking about would really help...I think if you pointed out where the problem is, I could fix the problem as you mentioned...

Thanks.

Old 07-31-2007, 03:14 PM
ahhh. Thanks. I guess I am off to check my door out-- and perhaps a trip to Autozone as a preventative measure...

thanks again, bud.

Quick Reply: Door seam rust preventative?