Exhaust rust inside tips... Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 03:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust rust inside tips... Help

Ive had my Dual out the side HD style Magnaflow muffler on for about 2 months. And they always had a discoloration inside the tip which is now starting to turn into rust. The real problem is here in florida we are under Phase III water restrictions so i basically get tackled by our senator if i even reach for the hose. Lately ive gone the route of cleaning the inside of the tips by taking steel wool and cleaning it with a wet terry cloth after, but it mostly smooth's out the rust. Does anyone suggest CLR or some sort of anti rust treatment while im stuck without water?

FYI i use to wash my car every saturday unless i was on vacation or i was too busy, but i was pretty consistent with detailing and waxing. These last two months have been killing me !!

Old 05-17-2007, 03:57 PM
Originally Posted by Copperhead64
Ive had my Dual out the side HD style Magnaflow muffler on for about 2 months. And they always had a discoloration inside the tip which is now starting to turn into rust. The real problem is here in florida we are under Phase III water restrictions so i basically get tackled by our senator if i even reach for the hose. Lately ive gone the route of cleaning the inside of the tips by taking steel wool and cleaning it with a wet terry cloth after, but it mostly smooth's out the rust. Does anyone suggest CLR or some sort of anti rust treatment while im stuck without water?

FYI i use to wash my car every saturday unless i was on vacation or i was too busy, but i was pretty consistent with detailing and waxing. These last two months have been killing me !!
tarn-x maybe?

Old 05-17-2007, 04:03 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
LMAO... tackled by your Senator eh? That's a good one...

Is the rust on the surface of the stainless or is it down and in to the stainless? My hunch is surficial...

Not sure how water would help your situation...

What general polishes have you tried?

Old 05-17-2007, 04:44 PM
My problem is it's inside the tip and i think your right it does appear to be surficial. What i have been doing as of recently is getting a steel wool pad and scrubbing the inside of the tip, but that only makes the stain smooth then i get a wet terry cloth since i cant use the hose to clean it out. Im thinking of going to get my car washed at some place here next to my office, but i cant stand not detailing it myself. Im just used to it i guess and you can never get the same feeling when you dont o it yourself.

Old 05-17-2007, 05:39 PM
your senator should get this guy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQx6K9uOQaA

Old 05-19-2007, 02:34 AM
Originally Posted by Copperhead64

I know the feeling its killing me too

Old 05-19-2007, 09:15 AM
I would use steel wool like you have been doing, and then clean the inside of the tip with degreaser, then take some rust killer primer and spray inside the tip, then use some light gauge sand paper to smooth out the uneven spots, and finally 24 hours later take flat black high heat paint and spray and even smooth layer of paint and I believe your tip will quit rusting.( use blue painter tape on the chrome and surrounding paint just for safety reason)

Trending Topics

Old 05-19-2007, 10:45 AM
Contributor

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
yup had the same issues: paint is your best friend

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...11#post2606611

Old 10-06-2007, 07:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok, I'm facing similar issues, however, I also have some discoloration on the bottom of my tips as well (exterior). What can I do to to reverse this problem? I'd really hate to see a new exhaust setup (six months old) go to hell...

Old 10-06-2007, 07:36 PM
Originally Posted by texfdfx4
I would use steel wool like you have been doing, and then clean the inside of the tip with degreaser, then take some rust killer primer and spray inside the tip, then use some light gauge sand paper to smooth out the uneven spots, and finally 24 hours later take flat black high heat paint and spray and even smooth layer of paint and I believe your tip will quit rusting.( use blue painter tape on the chrome and surrounding paint just for safety reason)
right on!!!

Old 10-06-2007, 08:43 PM
Originally Posted by tarajerame
x2. I did this mod-- definately one of the best mods out there. I went for the Rust Oleum version of the high heat so it would tackle the rust and make it look good.(and easy)

While you are at it, get some normal Rust Oleum for the differential, frame, etc... Comes in handy. Speaking of which-- RR-- are you coming back soon? Monday I could hook you up with paint.

Old 10-07-2007, 04:25 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by tarajerame
I was about to say the same thing. This is probably the best and easiest way to fix this.

Quick Reply: Exhaust rust inside tips... Help