detailing/painting rust-colored undercarriage & frame

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 09:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
detailing/painting rust-colored undercarriage & frame

Hi guys.

The frame on my truck along with other metal underneath like the receiver hitch, etc... looks pretty bad. I lived where they salted roads until this spring, so everything underneath has turned a bad color - it's gotten a little rusty. What product would anyone recommend to improve the look of my truck.

I don't want to turn this into a major project, as I realize it's already probably not going to be real easy to do. Is there something in a spray-on form that would work after I prep what I am going to spray? I was going to take the lazy way out and just go over to AutoZone and see what they had, but figured someone on here must have good advice so I will check first.

If you need, I can get some pics. I'm just hoping to improve the overall look of my truck, as it is kind of a bad scene.

Thanks

Old 05-28-2007, 11:07 PM
Check this stuff out. I've seen it used on here (via pictures) many times with great results. POR15 claims are: parts will never rust again.

http://www.por15.com/s.nl/it.A/id.1404/.f

Old 06-02-2007, 07:58 PM
If I just wanted a quick fix, what would be wrong with just using black paint/rustoleum?

I realize this sounds strange, but I was just thinking about it and wondering what it would turn out like.

Old 06-03-2007, 01:19 AM
It would probably be OK. However, I believe you would need to get the pre-painted surface licking clean for the paint to last any length of time. Following the direction to the T, Naval Jelly works inexpensively well before painting. With POR15 product it's a one shot deal and you'll be done forever, no?

Old 06-03-2007, 09:32 AM
Granted, I don't live up North, but my truck had some rust on the undercarriage. I opted in some places to sand it (where it looked pretty far along) then paint it, but in most places, it got pressurewashed then sprayed with automotive rustOleum. after that, I chose to put on a layer of that rubberized undercoating spray (mostly b/c the RO was grey...). It supposedly helps decrease road noise, but I know for a fact that it protects to some degree against rock chips, etc. Just remember, you will want to get that undercarriage as squeaky clean as possible beforehand. Then go about painting it. If I would have known about it back when I worked on my undercarriage, I'd have gone with POR-15 (HINT HINT--Get this stuff. Best out there)

Good luck in your rust battle!

Old 06-03-2007, 09:41 AM
I just use the black undercoating spray cans and touch it up every year.

Old 06-03-2007, 10:45 AM
Thanks guys, that gives me a couple ideas.

Sounds like I'll be spending some quality time with my frame getting it as clean as possible.....

Old 06-03-2007, 10:57 AM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
Por 15

Old 06-03-2007, 07:53 PM
Although I'm fairly confident you've got your mind made up, I'll say this:

You should either pressure wash your frame first, have it steam cleaned, or clean thouroughly with an APC. Aside from the obvious need for the paint to stick, you also want to ensure that you don't seal in any salt, dirt, etc. Also, I'm not sure if it's been mentioned, but keep in mind that rubberized indercoating is a rust PREVENTATIVE, not a converter. It prevents by sealing out moisture, so it's only 100% effective if used in a dry environment. OR, you could use a rust converter before you spray the undercoating. This will ensure that you don't seal in moisture.

I just did a truck for a buddy of mine today. Pretty straightforward. Pressurewash, Rust Oleum, Undercoating, semi-gloss black paint, (same paint on axle), Color matched RO for wheel wells, high temp black paint for exhaust pipe, etc. I'm telling you-- it makes a world of difference in terms of looks (not to mention function) to do this project. Also-- the rubberized undercoating looks great if you apply to the front wheel wells. (I would suggest topping with any black semi gloss paint-- the undercoating is easily stained by the mud and sand thrown up by the wheels.)

Just my 2 cents

Old 06-03-2007, 11:48 PM
Thanks a lot f-150sport03. That's just the advice I was looking to find on here. I see you are in DFW, that's where I just settled into. All that 'rust' from ND/MN just looks out of place down here; and I went in to see what it was worth on a trade in and they mentioned it.

Maybe you need another project? haha, j/k. Sound like you know what you are doing.

Old 06-04-2007, 10:09 AM
Originally Posted by black'n'chrome

Maybe you need another project? haha, j/k. Sound like you know what you are doing.
Send me an email at navyguy@swbell.net

Even if I don't do the thing for you, I'd have no problem helping you out. Whereabouts are you??? If nothing else, you could look at mine and see what a quick job can do for you. Also, you can learn from a mistake or two I made.

Quick Reply: detailing/painting rust-colored undercarriage & frame